Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Brexit

(1001 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 08:20:33

In his statement Johnson underlined his pledge to ditch the Irish backstop, and ramp up preparations for no deal, and to leave on 31st October regardless of what happens.

Mays withdrawal agreement has been binned, however in a phone call Juncker signalled the EU27s intention of sticking with the deal already negotiated by the British Government. This includes the backstop.

Juncker told Johnson that the EU would be prepared to alter the political declaration.
Ireland has declared itself as “alarmed”
Barnier signalled that Johnson’s rhetoric almost certainly meant that the U.K. was going into a GE.

Expect a huge public information campaign and a large level of spending in preparation for no deal.

POGS Wed 14-Aug-19 16:58:18

suzied

Agreed but Proportional Representation /Coalition Government has not proven to be the political Eutopia that some think it creates.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:05:05

Letter from Hammond and co to the Prime Minister.

m.facebook.com/groups/509708896233554?multi_permalinks=547988339072276¬if_t=group_activity¬if_id=1565792859232457&ref=m_notif#!/photo.php?fbid=689078551608425&id=100015188585524&set=gm.547988339072276&source=48&refid=18&ref=m_notif¬if_t=group_activity&__tn__=EH-R

growstuff Wed 14-Aug-19 18:35:34

Coalitions in Germany are one of the reasons there is continuity in Germany's strategies. The country hasn't had "all change" every few years because some of the government stay on in a different coalition. There is more emphasis on consensus.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:37:34

Sorry, the above doesn't seem to have worked. I'll try and find it elsewhere.

FarNorth Wed 14-Aug-19 18:41:14

technical and engineering education system
This is something I believe the UK needs.
It could also reduce the crime rate as non-academic youths (female & male) learn trades and are able to have a fulfilling life.

jura2 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:54:23

totally- and it should NOT be provided by the Army to help them recruit (especially not those from difficult backgrounds) either.

In Germany and here in Switzerland, apprenticeships are as well respected than Uni- and perhaps even more, seen as preparing for 'real' jobs. They last a full 4 years, have schooling 1 or 2 days a week and are really well supervised to ensure kids are not exploited and get quality, proper training.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:10:20

The Conservatives understand the need to have high-level, well-respected apprenticeships as do the companies but once again the Tories have tried to do them on the cheap and are useless at providing an appropriate environment for them.

I have no idea how they gave anyone the view that they are efficient, they are penny-pinching money-grubbers who know the price of everything and the value of nothing and as far as I can see, with few acceptions they always have been.

I believe the availability of degree-level apprenticeships has actually gone down since the government changed the system once again.

jura2 Thu 15-Aug-19 16:04:11

and today it is published that our own Government has ploughed billions of Sterling into Euros- to cash in on this blod debâcle. This is beyond the beyond sad

varian Thu 15-Aug-19 19:12:21

They've obviously taken the advice of arch-brexiter John Redwood who was paid £250,000 last year by investment advisors Charles Stanley for giving their investors the valuable advice to take all of their funds OUT of the UK!

Elegran Fri 16-Aug-19 08:52:41

Going off Ireland for a moment, here are two irreconcilable attitudes to a UK/US trade deaL, from farmers in the UK and the US. Which is likely to win out?

UK - www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/nfu-do-not-betray-british-farming-in-future-trade-deals/

US - unitelive.org/chlorinated-chicken-uk-us-trade-deal/

Plus - www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/06/03/trump-s-uk-trade-deal-an-abusive-relationship-with-a-now-vul nerable country

varian Fri 16-Aug-19 21:46:07

Irreconcilable is the key word.

Nothing about the brexit nonsense is reconcilable.

People were fooled into thinking cake and eat it brexit would happen. It should have been obvious that was a lie.

It is surely about time for the good folk who believed the lies to wake up and admit that they were fooled.

Elegran Sat 17-Aug-19 08:52:54

The trading deal negotiations - which are just that, nothing cut and drieduntil they are over and signed - will be between, on the one hand, countries or trading blocs which have existing deals with many customers and suppliers, and on the other, a UK which has torn up its membership of one of the largest and most influential trading blocs in the world and will be asking to be let in to trade in competition with those existing agreements.

The "big boys" of world trade - the US, China, etc - play to win, regarding a deal as something that is win or lose - they win, we lose.

I am not even going to start on the other results of going back past ???? years of international co-operation, free travel between countries and over borders without visas and customs formalities and delays, social welfare legislation, educational exchanges , blah blahblah. And as for NI . . .

Urmstongran Sat 17-Aug-19 09:26:39

Meanwhile it becomes clearer than ever that the Remainers in Westminster not only hate each other but have no consensus on what their alternative to Boris would be.

Do they want to cancel Brexit themselves? Or hold a second referendum? Or perhaps pass Theresa May's Brexit deal, and then opt for a soft Brexit?

It's all very messy, compared to the beguiling simplicity of Boris.

If parliament does force him to hold a pre-October 31 election, or extend Article 50, it's hard to see how a Remain alliance could win over the public with that hodgepodge.

growstuff Sat 17-Aug-19 09:36:13

Which Remainers in Westminster hate each other?

growstuff Sat 17-Aug-19 09:41:39

I don't think the Remainers hate each other at all. They belong to different parties and have different loyalties.

The big problem is that the majority of Remain MPs are Labour. Their leader doesn't support Remain and he's such a divisive character that Remain Tories won't support him as PM and I can't say I blame them. The Remain MPs don't hate each other and would, I believe, be perfectly capable of working together.

Elegran Sat 17-Aug-19 10:48:08

I have noticed that Leavers tend to think that Remainers hate them peronally and are being spiteful in continuing to say that they think Brexit is a very bad idea. Perhaps thinking that remainers hate each other is an extension of that.

varian Sat 17-Aug-19 13:25:51

Hate is wrong, but has been very useful tool to the Leave Liars, who for years encouraged a climate of victimhood, blaming, then hating, the EU, immigrants and ultimately Judges and MPs labelled "enemies of the people"

Remainers do not hate, but they see through the lies of Farage and his ilk and call them out for the damage they have already done to our society and the much worse damage they could do if we do not stop brexit.

varian Sat 17-Aug-19 14:07:36

Dominic Grieve: PM's rhetoric led directly to death threats.

Tory MP accuses Boris Johnson of demagoguery adding it was not unexpected ‘given his track record’

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/17/dominic-grieve-pm-boris-johnson-rhetoric-led-directly-to-death-threats

We have a PM who misuses his command of the English language, uttering inflammatory pronouncements like accusing others of "collaboration" - hate speech like this has consequences.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:29:57

From an article by Chris Haskins - who is a peer, farmer and former head of Northern Foods. He chairs the Humber LEP and is writing in a personal capacity.

But the ones who suffer worst in an economic meltdown are the poor, many of whom have been attracted to the dangerous, racist populist appeal of the Brexiteer movement. And their chronic low expectations from society could be a source of civil unrest which could lead to fearsome consequences.

So, before millions of trusting Brexiteers are led over the precipice by their evangelical if misguided leaders, it might be worth pondering for the last time whether the sacrifice is worth it, in that original promises of opportunity and freedom have not been realised, whereas the negative consequences of Brexit now seem more dire and unavoidable.

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/how-the-poorest-will-pay-the-heaviest-price-of-all-for-boris-johnson-s-no-deal-brexit-chris-haskins-1-9940413?utm_campaign=Yorkshire%20Post%20-%20Daily%20RSS&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=75789014&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_Kxu6oWaAZdzlQazB8_OK1MW_zJB_FUWh6irHP0OdzB30kMq765fHqBP2rEBssYSUPyvbSQTfFDOhNPjnTaHzVIMEk2Q&_hsmi=75789014

Dinahmo Sat 17-Aug-19 23:38:12

FarNorth I take issue with your comment about non academic youth, the implication being that they are the only ones who commit crimes. There are plenty of crimes committed by public school and/or university educated people - ie white collar crimes.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Aug-19 09:33:35

Another step nearer to leaving the E.U.

Stephen Barclay, the Brexit Secretary, has now signed the “commencement order” that will trigger the end of the supremacy of EU law in the UK on Hallowe’en, in a major moment on the path to the country’s exit.

In a separate attack on Theresa May, a Downing Street source said it was “surprising” and “alarming” that Theresa May had failed to initiate the signing of the order, which will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act on Oct 31.

Elegran Sun 18-Aug-19 10:00:50

I don't see any need for a (presumably anonymous) source to find it "alarming" that it had not yet been signed. Surely it need only be signed in time for 31st Oct for the "commencement" to begin?

growstuff Sun 18-Aug-19 10:17:03

Why is it alarming?

By the way, EU law has never been supreme.

Where on earth did this quote come from?

growstuff Sun 18-Aug-19 10:18:44

I agree with you, Dinahmo. The name Darius Guppy springs to mind.

growstuff Sun 18-Aug-19 10:24:54

BTW Did anybody read this article?

An article about leaked Lib Dem emails is fake

fullfact.org/news/article-about-leaked-lib-dem-emails-fake/

I find it quite "alarming" that anybody should go to the trouble to produce such tripe, which has undoubtedly been believed and passed on by the unsuspecting.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion