Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris and Cambridge Analytica

(209 Posts)
jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 14:18:05

he was asked in the HoC yesterday 'why did you visit Cambridge Analytica in 2016?' and his reply was 'I don't know' and sat down.

Can he just be let off answering such a massively important question. His answer was hugely rude, dismissive and arrogant - but surely, and much more importantly, refusing to answer for his actions. We all now know the rôle Cambridge Analytica played in the campaign - and he has even appointed Cummings as Chief Advisor.

This is seriously concerning. What is the HoC's rules re different MPs asking the same question? It needs asking, every day, every session- until he gives an answer.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 16:30:01

I always read it as ‘search engine’ but thought you may be a sir rather than a madam.?SirChenjin

Boris Johnson is certainly a hot topic at the mo.....perhaps it will settle down soon Maw
#wontholdmybreath

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 16:31:34

For anyone to dismiss the concerns about Cambridge Analytica as "collective hysteria" is somewhat alarming.

MawBroonsback Fri 26-Jul-19 16:31:36

Oh Jura read your English Lit
"The Charge of the Light Brigade"
Nothing to do with politically left
Not having a good day are you? smile

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 16:31:52

Surpassing jura

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 16:33:02

I am perfectly aware - but it was hilarious t read... Thanks. Great day here.

From a friend 'With their tactics aimed specifically at behaviour change, YOUR big data was used against you to CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOUR to ensure you voted to leave the EU.

This means that if you voted to leave, that may NOT have been your intention until your behaviour was changed using "weapons grade" comms.

Take a moment. Think about that.,

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 16:33:38

Ah, that explains why The Charge Of Light Brigade is being used by GGM3 ( on a different thread )
I wondered where it had popped up from.?

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 16:35:28

I have taken a moment to think about it......and it’s rubbish.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jul-19 16:39:56

Not on Facebook/instagram/snapchat, I have twitter but my privacy settings are “closed”.

My vote was totally my own, after long family discussions!!!

However I love Cambridge, fabulous shops, restaurants and architecture.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 16:44:05

If you do some reading on CA it's fascinating - well, horrifying and fascinating in equal measures.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jul-19 16:44:32

lemongrove Maw and GG13
?????? ???

POGS Fri 26-Jul-19 16:50:28

Previous Post

"There is a fight going on for your personal data, which is now being weaponised in order to manipulate you into voting the way those people who have bought your data want you to."
----

Whether it be Cambridge Analytica, wasn't there something to do with others like Barack Obama, or other data collecting outfits the point is it is widely used.

An example:-

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/labour-launches-clever-tool-to-find-out-your-nhs-baby-number-and-harvests-thousands-of-emails-in-the-9587636.html

The reason you find so much information for free is because YOU are the commodity.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 16:57:48

The evidence was given during evidence to MPs by a former senior exec at Cambridge Analytica Britanny Kaiser who was at the official launch of the LeaveEU campaign sat next to Arron Banks on the top table.

Of course, many people who voted Leave did so totally freely, but it is clear and undeniable that many people, from very specific background- were strongly 'targetted' in many ways. Or course his supporters, just like Trump's- will shout loudly 'rubbish' - and it is all part of this truly worrying new reality.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 16:59:52

Finding information which you yourself choose to search for, is one thing. Being directly targetted because f your profile, is a VERY different kettle of stinking fish- certainly in politics.

petra Fri 26-Jul-19 17:01:23

I can categorically state that nobody influenced my vote.
I didn't want to join the EEC in the first place but like millions of others I thought: oh well, we're in in now.
But then Maarstrict came along and that was it for me.
And then to make my hatred for the institution that is the eu they brought in the Lisbon treaty.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 17:01:27

I’m not his supporter jura or Trumps, but I thought it was rubbish, am sure most people would.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 17:04:10

Your right and prerogative- perhaps give it a bit more thought and time, do a bit of independent research.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 17:07:40

The Great Hack documentary is a really good start

www.facebook.com/TheGreatHackFilm/videos/347734312835472/

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 17:11:10

Do any of you have ads popping up on Gransnet? Have a look at them. I've had 2 in the last hour - one for a hand held steamer and another for per insurance.

Why do you think it might be? Could it be anything to do with the threads I'm on perhaps? I wonder...

Do a bit of research and if you still think that CA didn't sway the vote one way then fine, but I have to say that's not the view shared by many experts.

POGS Fri 26-Jul-19 17:22:36

www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40006721

"Labour activist is using dating app Tinder to encourage people to register to vote in the general election ahead of the midnight deadline."

It's all around you folks.

I'm sure ALL parties are collecting your information.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 17:28:11

And yet the Leave campaign and Trump have been most heavily implicated in the CA (which was run by an American hedge-fund manager who supports many right wing causes) scandal.

But hey, BJ says he doesn't know why he was at their offices, so y'know <shrug>

Firecracker123 Fri 26-Jul-19 17:30:59

What I want to know who brainwashed all the Remainers to vote remain works both ways lol. You'd have to be brainwashed or brain dead to vote for Jo Swindon.

Tongue in cheek post by the way ?

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 17:32:59

Not CA, that's for sure.

growstuff Fri 26-Jul-19 17:45:07

In addition to harvesting data, so that ads can be targeted, there is also the question of Artificial Intelligence. How many people are aware that some of the "news" stories they read are in fact created by Artificial Intelligence? There are some very clever apps which produce stories which seem totally authentic. However, if you search for a validated source, there is none. These stories can be debunked, but social media means they are around the world in seconds and it's hard to "undo" them. One of the most powerful of these apps is called Friendly AI - it is known that Boris Johnson's advisor, Dominic Cummings, is involved in a company called Friendly AI, founded by Elon Musk. I also wonder how many people are aware that many of the user IDs on social media are totally fictitious and not even human. Their comments are produced by AI to support a particular political stance. They are becoming increasingly difficult to identify. Newspapers don't have the army of the journalists they once had, so often use syndicated news, which is sometimes "sold" news from agencies. Don't believe anything, unless you check the source.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-19 17:48:38

I refuse to answer that grow on the grounds that you are probably not real. In fact - are any of us on here real?

And on that note, I'm going to put down my Boris bashing stick and head to the fridge for that pink gin that's got my name on it. Chin chin!

Callistemon Fri 26-Jul-19 17:50:51

SirChenjin your name makes me smile although it did take me a while before I twigged on!
I hadn't thought of the 'gin' one though!

Perhaps Boris was in their offices but he didn't inhale.