Gransnet forums

News & politics

J R-M - pernickity pedant?

(163 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:35:26

I read that JRM has issued a list of rules for his staff to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.
It's typical but pretty unbelievable that he's gone to such petty lengths as banning the word 'got', among a jumble of others. Men to be addressed as Esq. in memorandum and other such nonsense.
I wonder if there will be a fine for any staffer caught breaking the rules.
Your thoughts...
I think he's hoping to elevate the atmosphere to that of a gentleman's club such as Whites, Brooke's or Boodle's circa 17th and 18th century.

Anniebach Fri 26-Jul-19 22:19:52

jura. He is Leader of The House. It’s closed.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 22:32:44

but I can bet you he is going to be plotting with Boris and co all Summer long- and if it is closed, there was no point in making the point, or the comas, was there?

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 22:33:53

the commas even ...

Anniebach Fri 26-Jul-19 22:36:54

How petty

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 22:43:47

yes, it is ...

Anniebach Fri 26-Jul-19 22:52:35

Glad you agree jura , a thread on this is so petty .

growstuff Sat 27-Jul-19 00:05:09

I agree with you. It's petty. The man is an anachronism. If it weren't for the ridiculous leader of his party, he'd still be chuntering away on the back benches (and making millions on screwing the plebs). JRM has no political talent - the only way he can attract attention is by being a nineteenth century wannabe. More fool the people who fall for it.

Labaik Sat 27-Jul-19 00:19:20

I've now reached the stage where I read something about this government and assume it must be a spoof only to realise it is actually happening.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jul-19 05:52:06

He has always struck me as precisely the sort of person who who behave like this. Control freak. The civil servants were there long before him and will be there long after. What ever makes him think that he knows better? I pity the long suffering civil servants, what a load of incompetent ninnies they’ve had to suffer recently.

We assume the country will survive such pettifogging jobs worth stupidity.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jul-19 06:17:26

This

Otto English
@Otto_English

There's no rule in English grammar that says you can't put a comma after a conjuction. This conceited bollocks is mere pretention. Mogg's banausic preoccupation with fake grammar is proof of his faux intellect and shallow mind.

MawBroonsback Sat 27-Jul-19 06:42:45

But always look on the bright side, I (perhaps others too) have learned a new word. Might come on useful in Scrabble ?

Banausic | Definition of Banausic at Dictionary.com
serving utilitarian purposes only; mechanical; practical : architecture that was more banausic than inspire

LAL (live and learn)

MawBroonsback Sat 27-Jul-19 06:50:52

But so ironic that it is you GabbyG who takes such exception . Does Rees-Mogg also insist on correct spelling? grin
Shouldn’t it be in Pedants’ Corner anyway?

Ginny42 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:01:33

Imagine living with it! Makes me shudder to think he's pre-occupied with such banal issues when the country is in dire need of dynamic ideas to resolve the issues we face.

^Banal | Definition of Banal by Merriam-Webster
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/banal

Definition of banal. : lacking originality, freshness, or novelty : trite.^

crystaltipps Sat 27-Jul-19 07:15:34

I thought there should be one space after a full stop not two. Right?

NanKate Sat 27-Jul-19 07:18:47

I’m with you on this one Minniemoo. His command of the English Language is excellent IMO. It will be interesting to see how he fares (I need him here now to confirm if it is fares/fairs) as The Leader of the House.

However I do feel sorry for his sons who wear suits and must be laughed at by other children.

He was good on HIGNFY and can definitely take a joke.

SueH49 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:19:16

I was always taught 2 spaces after a full stop. I don't usually abide by that though.

NanKate Sat 27-Jul-19 07:22:54

Yes 2 spaces for me too.

Beckett Sat 27-Jul-19 07:25:22

Perhaps some GNs would prefer government letters and documents be written in textspeak?

It is important that communications with government departments are clear. Still I suspect that whatever he says or does will not meet with the approval of some GNs.

craftyone Sat 27-Jul-19 07:29:37

So boring!!! The pedants on this thread, the same old same old, over and over again. Obviously nothing to do except spout rubbish on public forum. What utterly boring pointless lives they lead, like broken records

Firecracker123 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:35:23

I like him he's a proper English gentleman a tad eccentric but that adds to his charm. Listen to his LBC radio show on a Friday.

MawBroonsback Sat 27-Jul-19 07:45:11

Add comment | Report | Private message craftyone Sat 27-Jul-19 07:29:37
So boring!!! The pedants on this thread, the same old same old, over and over again. Obviously nothing to do except spout rubbish on public forum. What utterly boring pointless lives they lead, like broken records

Yourself excepted presumably?

sodapop Sat 27-Jul-19 08:35:37

I agree with growstuff even though the pedant in me has a sneaking admiration for him.

Good job we have you craftyone to balance our pointless lives.

Grannyknot Sat 27-Jul-19 08:48:13

Two spaces after a full stop was the rule for typists. Ever since computers and word processing came along, it is one space.

Which is why someone retro like JRM would insist on two spaces.

Anyway, I read that article and thought (a) the man is bonkers and (b) I pity his poor secretary.

crystaltipps Sat 27-Jul-19 08:49:38

Do his staff have to use typewriters then? Or maybe quill pens and ink?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 27-Jul-19 08:50:14

I find him a bit of a joke but hope he never becomes PM because then we won't be laughing.