Gransnet forums

News & politics

J R-M - pernickity pedant?

(163 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:35:26

I read that JRM has issued a list of rules for his staff to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.
It's typical but pretty unbelievable that he's gone to such petty lengths as banning the word 'got', among a jumble of others. Men to be addressed as Esq. in memorandum and other such nonsense.
I wonder if there will be a fine for any staffer caught breaking the rules.
Your thoughts...
I think he's hoping to elevate the atmosphere to that of a gentleman's club such as Whites, Brooke's or Boodle's circa 17th and 18th century.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 30-Jul-19 08:38:33

Yes you are right lemon rove but not one of them has posted he thread.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 22:51:16

There are many jobs which require a high degree of adherence to rules, order, precise language and precision with numbers and results.
A love of order does not mean a person is extremely right-wing; if so, would that mean that the converse is true?

I presume that these are just the musings of a journalist or is this the result of scientific research which has been meticulously and precisely carried out?

annodomini Mon 29-Jul-19 22:46:08

The reviews of his recently published book: 'The Victorians: Twelve Titans that Forged Britain' don't encourage one to read it. The reviews, however, are most entertaining.
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jacob-rees-mogg-victorians-book-panned-critics-reviews-a8920801.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3LVjCwEe5bvTgLnbX1KOYik-P0airQ3mVRtsG_GY3DsHWj4QItlO1TjGc#Echobox=1558285806
I expect he will be flogging signed copies at the Tory Conference; or maybe giving them away free.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 22:30:23

Actually there are more posters than Gabriella who are keen on good grammar and spelling on the GN pages ( you have only to read all the threads.)

Barmeyoldbat Mon 29-Jul-19 22:21:01

Blimey I thought this was some sort of joke by \GabyG posting this thread after all the criticism she has given us on our grammar and spelling. Wonders will never cease.

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 22:15:48

Not naughty lemon - true.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 22:12:02

Naughty SirC?

jura2 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:07:53

Of course not Maw- that is the very job of teachers.

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 22:05:22

Absolutely - it’s usual for new heads of staff to set out ground rules which define their priorities.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 21:53:28

Whatever posters think of JRM, his position in Parliament entitles him to lay down some ground rules to his staff.
Knowing him, it will have been done politely.?

MawBroonsback Mon 29-Jul-19 21:53:27

Oops comma omitted between “grammar” and “punctuation “ and seems to have slipped along the line to join up with his buddy!
Blame the iPad!

gillybob Mon 29-Jul-19 21:53:01

For what it’s worth (nowt much) I think the man is a fully paid up Cracker Jack. He clearly needs something to worry about (other than his £100 million and hedge fund shares, that is) wink

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 21:50:56

I expect POGS was using a phone and busy at the time,
I know I often post mistakes that way ( sometimes eating a sarnie, and watching tv as well.)

MawBroonsback Mon 29-Jul-19 21:50:50

Would the same criteria have applied to my teachers in my Scottish High School?
I don’t think so. We were taught grammar punctuation,, idiomatic usage, good writing style and that accuracy matters. Tout court.

jura2 Mon 29-Jul-19 21:49:25

Full article here:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/29/jacob-rees-mogg-language-rules?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0whcr0OJO8ZLFxjMuZ3Op2AAq8sED2I1wibjO4nHFQJlig-7fhPwqPbBg#Echobox=1564400691

jura2 Mon 29-Jul-19 21:48:07

Interesting article in the Guardian- Must be the Nanny effect:

'It’s interesting to ponder why Rees-Mogg feels the sting of these “mistakes” so keenly. In fact, some work has been done on the personality traits of people who get irritated by what they perceive to be grammatical errors. They score highly on measures of conscientiousness. What does that mean? As one researcher puts it: “A high score on conscientious implies strong industriousness, impulse control, dutifulness, sense of organisation, adherence to norms and rules and a preference for order and dependability.” Although that doesn’t predict a highly conservative outlook, it’s certainly compatible with it. It also squares with the so-called authoritarian personality type that was most likely to vote Brexit and features “a strong desire for order, obedience, conformity”.

So Rees-Mogg’s hidebound rules are exactly what you’d expect from a man on the rightmost reaches of a rightwing party. The only question is whether his love of order is compatible with the no-deal Brexit he’s pushing. Hopefully, we won’t have to find out.'

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 21:22:02

Absolutely - but I doubt that’s the case.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 20:32:34

Or some who is dyslexic?

We don't know whether or not someone has dyslexia unless they tell us and they don't have to do that.

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 19:51:07

While we’re throwing insults - only a fool would refer to disgussing on a thread about pedantry

M0nica Mon 29-Jul-19 19:44:50

jura2 you have have a very narrow idea of what a religious faith is. The catholic church over a century has developed a position on social justice through encyclicals and other documents that is in keeping with much of what the Labour party stands for.

I find it very difficult to reconcile JRM's political beliefs with the teachings on social justice supported by the catholic church.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jul-19 17:18:39

So an atheist MP would be much more acceptable to you
jura

Why not campaign for ‘burning at the stake ‘

jura2 Mon 29-Jul-19 17:07:21

it is not about 'mocking' his home life- or his faith. But his home life and his whole life, show quite clearly what it is like for many people in the UK now. And if he kept his faith in his private life, that would be fine. But it is clear that it does strongly influence his decisions, in a way that affects huge number of people.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jul-19 16:57:27

rather pathetic to mock his home life, his faith, why? He wants out of Europe, so does Frank Field.

Both campaigned to leave unlike the leader of the Labour Party who dodged it and went on holiday, and still hasn’t said if he supports leave or remain.

POGS Mon 29-Jul-19 16:23:02

Sir C

" If you’re confusing Catholicism with pedantry then that’s very much your problem POGS."
-

Only a fool would not see my point was about the posts and comments that have not been about JRM and pedantry.!

Had pedentary been solely disgussed on the thread I would not have bothered posting as it is a boring subject.

You haven't kept your posts to disgussing pedentary so you have become one of those do as I say not do as I do posters.

gillybob Mon 29-Jul-19 15:15:24

I suppose its quite easy having 6 children if you have a nanny to do all the dirty work (and probably much of the clean too).