Gransnet forums

News & politics

'Old' Labour

(37 Posts)
Fennel Thu 08-Aug-19 15:49:06

This morning I was diagnosed as being 'Old' Labour. I had a very interesting political discussion, chatting at the bus stop, and on the bus, with a woman much younger than me, in her 50s probably.
I'm not sure what category she's in, she supports Leave because of all the money we have to contribute to the EU. Thinks Corbyn is a Marxist. hopes Boris gets on with it.
But what is 'Old' Labour?

Fennel Fri 09-Aug-19 18:40:27

Iam I think university degrees are very over-rated these days. As you say, we need apprenticeships and technical colleges.
Annie - why won't they work on building sites?

Grandad1943 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:52:29

jura2 Quote [ Old and new and everything in between- the LP is currently as divided as the Cons. And cannot offer an effective opposition to No Deal Brexit due to said divisions- a disaster.] End Quote.

jura2, Jeremy Corbyn has advised that he will table a motion of no confidence in the government as soon as Parliament reassembled in September.

Therefore jura2, would you care to inform this forum of what more (in your opinion) Corbyn and the Parliamentary Labour party could or can do?

That would make a good change from your usual practice of making bland statements such as in the above.

Anniebach Fri 09-Aug-19 18:54:49

Fennel it’s country wide, don’t want apprentice pay, not going to work in the rain or cold. I have been with a building
firm over 30 years, use to have parents asking for work for their sons , I remember a mother willing to drive 20 miles to and from work for her son.

Plumbing is difficult, many who did an apprenticeship became self employed and don’t want to take on an apprentice. Many in building have gone self enployed too.

Anniebach Fri 09-Aug-19 18:56:28

I prefer so called ‘bland statements ‘ to epistles

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:03:20

Grandad- he should have come off that fence and joined the fight a very long time ago ...
but he wants a GE more than anything else, at any cost- hard Brexit and massive decline. I have made that vera clear many times.

Fennel Fri 09-Aug-19 19:06:45

I prefer to hope that the situation isn't as hopeless as that.
We're very proud of our oldest grand daughter who did a 3 year apprenticeship in industrial electrics. At 22 she now has a steady job, a good wage and has bought her own home.
She did have a good example to follow from her father, our SiL.
There must be many others like that.

Grandad1943 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:16:35

jura2, Jeremy Corbyn continuously supported the delicate conference adopted policy of seeking a General Election as first priority.

That policy as time has progressed has turned out to be the very much correct one. After all, even the Tory Party seem to have now come round to the idea that only a General Election has any chance of "democratically" resolving the Brexit crisis.

Anniebach Fri 09-Aug-19 19:16:43

Fennel I was referring to building sites

MaizieD Fri 09-Aug-19 19:18:05

People might be interested to read this blog. Simon Wren-Lewis, one of the economists advising Corbyn:

He thinks that if Corbyn got into government that would be the end of Brexit, whether Corbyn liked it or not.

I'll leave you to judge...

mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-remainers-urging-people-to-vote-for.html

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:22:32

Thank you so muxh for this Maizie- and yes, this is becoming clearer now.

Grandad1943 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:31:07

Thanks for sharing that great article MaizieD. I am sure it will be very informative to any who read it.

Again many thanks.