Gransnet forums

News & politics

Democracy - help me out here!

(190 Posts)
DidoLaMents Thu 08-Aug-19 22:08:54

Thanks Deedaa. Good to have an opinion!

MaizieD Thu 08-Aug-19 21:49:59

My opinion is that before we go over the result of the referendum again we might have a stab at working out what 'democracy' means and what it actually involves.

Leavers and Remainers each have their own version. grin

DidoLaMents Thu 08-Aug-19 21:38:23

Thanks for the welcome! GrannyGravy13

DidoLaMents Thu 08-Aug-19 21:36:38

It fits into the Forum : News and Politics, MawB, and is probably the most dramatic change to take place in our country, certainly in my lifetime, and the biggest jump into the unknown. Why shouldn’t I raise the question? I’m asking others their genuine, honest opinion! Thank you for yours if and when you wish to give one..

MaizieD Thu 08-Aug-19 21:28:44

Oh, we don't really want to talk about what democracy might actually 'be', then?

Callistemon Thu 08-Aug-19 20:59:29

It's a case of déjà vu
Alistair Campbell and illegal wars anyone?

Depressingly familiar.

MaizieD Thu 08-Aug-19 20:50:01

Another thing about ancient Greek democracy was that all the citizens were gathered together to hear speeches in favour or against whatever was being voted for. This meant that all the voters knew what was being said and there was a chance for statements on either side to be questioned and refuted.

Is it 'democratic' for people to be targeted with adverts that only they know they are receiving and which no-one else has any opportunity to question or refute?

Deedaa Thu 08-Aug-19 20:41:54

Apparently ignoring nearly half those who voted while taking the advice of an unelected "advisor" is Taking Back Control.Whatever it is it certainly isn't my idea of a parliamentary democracy.

jura2 Thu 08-Aug-19 20:34:54

What do you think of the 'democracy' as described in the OP?

jura2 Thu 08-Aug-19 20:20:22

Maw, why not comment on her thread- or ignore.

MaizieD Thu 08-Aug-19 20:16:30

Well, we could widen it somewhat and look at what 'democratic' might mean.

Just to start it off, 'democracy' comes from the Greek. It was practised in some of the ancient Greek city states. Some other forms of government were autocracy and oligarchy.

2 points about Greek democracy

1) The city states had tiny populations compared with any modern country

2) Women and slaves were excluded from voting.

How 'democratic' was Greek democracy?

merlotgran Thu 08-Aug-19 20:13:28

Great username, Dido grin

MawB Thu 08-Aug-19 20:07:01

Oh good! Another Brexit thread. It must be at least a whole day since the last new one was started.
Mmmmmm...grin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Aug-19 20:01:09

Welcome to GN Dido

DidoLaMents Thu 08-Aug-19 19:20:22

I have to accept, I am told, the result of the referendum, this is democracy.
Mmm....
To add to this I am now having to accept that 150,000 members of a political party decide who my prime minister should be. Mmmm....
Now, I have to accept that an unelected advisor to the PM can lay down the law in Downing Street and ignore our parliamentary process; can bully and override our elected politicians who represent all voters; those who voted leave and those who voted remain; and threaten to sack our civil servants if they disagree with him or whistle blow. Mmmm....
This is to push through the results of a referendum that was poorly structured and gave little background of the consequences of what we were voting for. In a parliamentary democracy, a referendum, is an advisory process, not a compulsory instruction. Our MPs are our elected ‘representatives’ not our ‘delegates’. They make decisions based on what they believe to be fair, just and prosperous for us all as a nation, that’s why we put them there. Mmmm ....
My question however; help me understand, is this really democracy for all?