Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wish Boris would actually do some work.

(85 Posts)
M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 09:58:28

Every day since Boris was elected the papers have had photos of him dashing round the country, first this place then that. like a bouncing cheque. If it's Tuesday, it is probably Barrow.

Am I alone in wishing he would get back to No 10, sit down at a desk and do some work, on Brexit, NHS, the No 10 rose garden, for all I care, but actually get down to work and not display all the symptoms of chronic procrastination, by constantly putting off knuckling down to work by visiting yet another, school/hospital/prison in England/Ireland/Scotand/Wales/Timbuctu

varian Mon 02-Sep-19 08:53:23

Carole Cadwalladr is an excellent investigative journalist who exposed the Cambridge Analytica scandal which is why leavers descend to calling names.

The video she posted is from Russian TV showing how much Putin and friends just love the fact that Boris Johnson is carrying out Putin's bidding and aiming for a chaotic brexit which will destabilise the West.

Firecracker123 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:28:45

Perhaps she should change her name to Carol Codswallop ? because she talks a lot of it.

varian Mon 02-Sep-19 08:08:15

Some people just love Boris Johnson. He's giving them exactly what they want.

twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1168198605867536385?s=09

Callistemon Sun 01-Sep-19 09:42:20

Exactly, growstuff, unelected but running the show!

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 21:37:59

Callistemon I may well never vote again.?

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:32:48

Exactly, they’re not MPs. Nor is Cummings but he appears to be running the country at the moment.

growstuff Sat 31-Aug-19 21:05:53

They're not MPs.

Callistemon Sat 31-Aug-19 18:51:22

but who would get in?
Milne, McCluskey?

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 18:48:07

If we get the chance, it would certainly be worth voting to get this lot out.

I hope that at the next election everyone who is shocked by the way these chancers and liars have usurped our democracy will vote tactically for the candidate most likely to beat the Tories.

If we were a proper democracy with proportional representation, we would never have to vote tactically, but under FPTP, needs must.

Callistemon Sat 31-Aug-19 18:44:40

It does makje you wonder just who is running the country - first Campbell, now Cummins and if Labour got in then Milne.
All seemingly quite odious.

Is it worth voting?

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 14:28:11

Apparently he had an incandescent shouting match with Johnson and Cummings at the conclusion of which Johnson apologised. Sounds like standing up to it from where I’m sitting.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Aug-19 13:45:49

Yes, lots of sackings Grandad1943, I was really thinking of Sajid Javid - apparently he has had two sacked now.... clearly not prepared to stand up to it though. Says he had “words” about it.
?

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 12:51:38

Javid having words with Johnson over the sacking of one of his staff does not equate with ‘this government coming apart at the seams’ Grandad43 ( however much you may wish it to be.)

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 12:48:52

All advisors are powerful, ( remember Malcolm Tucker from The Thick Of It) a thinly disguised Alistair Campbell.
Corbyn has Seamus Milne and the whole of Momentum directing his every move.
For Johnson it’s Dominic Cummings.
There is much hypocrisy on this thread ‘ Johnson rushing about like a blue arsed fly’ etc, it sounds amusing, but when Corbyn is attending public meetings, rallies, visiting towns etc it’s called being ‘caring and sensitive’ by those same people.
He is the new PM, and visiting places in danger, like Whaley Bridge is part of a PM’s job ( T May wasn’t good at it.)

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:21:55

Cummings has sacked five of other people’s staff in a month, four of them women. As far as I can see, he’s the power behind the throne.

Grandad1943 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:29:09

NotSpaghetti Quote [ Well MaizieD - you were right -
He doesn't have to do any work, he's got Dominic Cummings doing it all for him.
Including sacking other people’s staff it seems - apparently twice.] End Quote.

Well, according to many reports Boris Johnson has now had "a right ole bust-up" with Sajid Javid the chancellor of the exchequer who was not even informed that one of his staff had been sacked. So, this government already seems to be already "coming apart at the seams."

Of course, we should all expect this as it is very reminiscent of what happens in the Trump administration to which Johnson has so much admiration.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Aug-19 10:28:25

We have a national crisis and good old Boris thinks it will help to have an a question and answer time with group of primary school children. Maybe they can help solve the problem of getting us out of the EU.

luluaugust Sat 31-Aug-19 10:18:44

Is he getting ready for a General Election travelling round trying to meet the Country? Surely he delegates the work to other people and waits for them to bring him the results. Nobody will sort out the NHS until huge changes, probably unacceptable to the Electorate, are agreed. The No. 10 garden seems his best option.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Aug-19 10:03:06

Well MaizieD - you were right -
He doesn't have to do any work, he's got Dominic Cummings doing it all for him.
Including sacking other people’s staff it seems - apparently twice.

Callistemon Sun 11-Aug-19 18:32:06

Apparently in Euros, not £

Do you think he and his family should have refused the subsidies then?
It's not profit, it's designed to help farmers to help and protect the environment.

Labaik Sat 10-Aug-19 22:07:17

The Johnsons own a family farm too, don't they? Wonder how many EU subsidies they've had.

Dinahmo Sat 10-Aug-19 22:02:42

News about Dominic Cummings - apparently he is the co-owner of a farm that has received £235,000 in EU subsidies. According to a search of Land Registry and EU documents this farm (owned by DC, his parents and one other person) has received £20,000 pa for the last 2 decades.

My DH told me earlier that the EU is bringing in a law w.e.f 1 January 2020 that will weaken the power of the press magnates. Could this be a reason for the rush to leave on 31 October?

GracesGranMK3 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:56:39

Why did a majority of remain politicians vote for article 50 in the first place? Wasn't that just a teeny bit dishonest?!

It's not at all dishonest if you believe the government was going to work towards a deal - as we were very clearly told they were.

varian Sat 10-Aug-19 17:27:39

The LibDems did not vote for Article 50. Let's hope it can be revoked.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:02:31

and because they were not aware of the massive fraud and illegal targetting and interference either

and because they were assured we would get a great Deal