Gransnet forums

News & politics

Outrage at Tory rhetoric

(61 Posts)
Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 11:15:48

Not sure that people who disagree with you Grandad are all devotees of right wing newspapers. That's a very simplistic way of thinking.

Just like I'm sure you don't get all your idea from the Guardian. What we have to accept is people have different opinions and we should respect that rather than rage at them.

Surely you don't want to live somewhere where everyone has to think the same?

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:10:18

It's actually insulting to all those who have suffered from austerity since 2010 to give the message that they've suffered in vain.

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:08:34

I don't think many people (certainly on Gransnet) are Labour supporters.

Sorry, but I also think the idea that all MPs are rogues is very UKIPy/BPy and part of the "Parliament versus the people" rhetoric.

Grandad1943 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:08:33

It always amazes me that these sudden on the hoof billions of pounds spending announcements by this Tory government is being portrayed by the right wing mass media as an act that will save the British economy.

However, when the Labour party speaks on their spending plans that is portrayed by the mass media as an act that would totally ruin the British economy.

As we all witness almost every day on this forum there are many who believe every word they read in the United Kingdoms rabid right-wing media.

Beyond belief. ?

Septimia Sun 11-Aug-19 10:59:05

I don't understand why people believe the Labour party either - or, in fact, any politicians. They're all there for their own aggrandizement bar a very few good'uns.

winterwhite Sun 11-Aug-19 10:53:39

Yes, benefits cheats must be due for another airing soon. Today it is thousands more prison 'beds' when so much of the problem is too many people imprisoned unnecessarily and prison sentences often being ineffectual anyway.

GillT57 Sun 11-Aug-19 10:04:23

I share your outrage. I wish they would stop talking about 'recruiting additional 20000 police officers' when the more accurate statement would be '' reinstating the 20000 police officers which we should not have cut'. As for all this hang em and flog em populist claptrap from P Patel, it is as if their manifesto is being written by Katie Hopkins. Await nasty comments about benefit cheats as the next announcement

cangran Sun 11-Aug-19 09:55:10

Well said Dinahmo. I am also astonished! Oh but, all is well as apparently a new Brexit 50p is being minted - that should be worth about 5p!

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 09:54:48

I can't honestly seeing a GE solving anything, at least not in the next few years.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Aug-19 09:45:33

I will believe it all when I see it. He may not be in power long anyway - a GE soon is inevitable.

Dinahmo Sun 11-Aug-19 09:33:54

Watching the news this morning I became increasingly outraged at the Tory rhetoric. The Tories reduced the police force by over 20,000 between March 2010 and March 2018 but BJ is going to find the money to recruit 20,000.

Pritti Patel is talking about increasing stop and search. I lived in Brixton during the riots in the 80's and the behaviour of arrogant young policemen and the practice of stop and search at that time was one of the causes.

I just don't understand why the public believe the Tories. We've had austerity for more than 10 years which led directly to much of the disaffection that we've been seeing. The current front bench have been around for some, if not all of that time so why didn't they speak out then?

BJ is talking about building more prisons, giving money to the NHS (already earmarked), more money for schools etc etc. the current front bench have been in parliament for some, if not all, of the Tory administration. Why have they done nothing to change Tory policies and why are they doing something now?

B~J is talking about giving money to companies that suffer after 1 November. They don't need to suffer - just cancel it.