Gransnet forums

News & politics

Proposed minimum salary for EU workers: £30000

(101 Posts)
jura2 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:13:03

and pressure is being put on Priti Patel to raise this to £37500

so, no care workers, no nurses, no agricultural labour, mostly no teachers, no .... well, pretty much anyone sad

What planet do they live on???

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 12-Aug-19 10:47:25

My apologise for side tracking but as an ex teacher who also had student teachers in the classroom with me, I ask this question: Why do we need teachers trained overseas? What happens to the teachers trained here in the UK?

Here's the answer according to these quotes.

"It is estimated around 15,000 teachers leave the UK each year to join an international school – and nearly half (47%) are dissatisfied with the British education system, according to a recent survey of 1,600 teachers at British international schools by the Council of British International Schools (Cobis)."

"Teacher shortages have become a serious problem in England, where the number of secondary school students is expected to rise by 15% by 2025 and teacher recruitment has consistently fallen short. ... Of teachers who started in 2012, a third were no longer teaching in 2017."

A closer friend's daughter flew out last Wednesday to start teaching in South Carolina. Taught here for 2 years.

Perhaps this needs another thread.

paddyann Mon 12-Aug-19 10:58:13

What queue are EU nationals jumping*Greta*?

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 11:21:18

I think there are exceptions though surely? One example I don't understand is Indian chefs, why can't we train them here? Last time we ate in an Indian restaurant we were served by and Eastern European and an African. I think there will also be an agricultural workers scheme. In fact I think there will be so many exceptions it will requite extra civil servants to deal with it. As we don't monitor who comes in and who goes out who will we know? Why does it matter?

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:21:59

same as doctors and nurses, perhaps even more so.

Greta Mon 12-Aug-19 11:24:59

paddyann, you will have to ask Theresa May what she meant.

This is from BBC news November 2018:

"Theresa May has renewed her efforts to sell her draft Brexit withdrawal agreement - arguing it will stop EU migrants "jumping the queue".

She said migration would become skills-based, with Europeans no longer prioritised over "engineers from Sydney or software developers from Delhi".

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:26:04

paddyann- they are not jumping the queue as such, but do have certain privileges. They can come for up to 3 months to look for work for instance- which 3rd country nationals can't do.

When I came to work in London in 1970, pre EU- I had to have a job arranged in advance, and the future employer had to apply for a special permit for me, stating the reason they wanted to employ me, rather than a UK national. I am the only person I know from the EU who came to work as a young, inexperienced person- due to knowing the rigght people at the right time. All the others came as Au pairs or to study at a language school.

quizqueen Mon 12-Aug-19 11:30:52

British Nationals should be made to do these jobs, which some of you claim they WON'T do, AND do them well, at the threat of having have all benefits removed. We have a large enough population as it is, we do not need any more people here. Immigrants get old and sick too and will fall into needing care at some time, even if they originally come here to take on care jobs,

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 11:38:00

quizqueen, Do you seriously expect anybody from the unemployment queue to be a teacher or research scientist? There are reasons that immigrants do the jobs.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 11:42:33

Greta, No, they haven't all been educated in their home countries. Many of them come to the UK to do postgraduate degrees. Traditionally, they have stayed in the UK for a few years to do post-doctoral work, which isn't particularly well paid, and then have usually returned to their own countries. They have been a benefit to the UK science community. The £30k threshold has already caused problems because they are expected to leave the country the day after their course finishes.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:47:03

Well they have been educated in their country to Degree level, by your own statement.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 11:53:15

Not always. Sometimes they come with scholarships, paid by their own countries or sponsored by universities here. The point is that they're a benefit to the UK and they take back knowledge and skills to their own countries. Researchers from Australia, South Africa and New Zealand often bring their own expertise with them, which enriches our own bank of knowledge. That's why the scientific community is almost 100% against Brexit and random immigration controls. Pooling of labour and knowledge benefits everybody, but they're not that well paid.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:55:44

I hope that is you or a close relative, Quizqueen- needs care in hospital or care home - that the kid down the road who has been on the dole for the last 15 years - is the one to be forced to clean your nether regions and cheer you up.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 11:56:02

We also have a number of scientists from India and East Asia. Welcoming them to the UK also has the side effect of spreading the UK plc brand in a positive way.

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 12:13:24

quiz if you were an employer would you take on someone who was workshy and lazy? It is one thing to say people must take these jobs but it is a very different thing for an employer to take them on if they are not motivated to do the work. I can think of several ways of messing up a job interview so I wouldn't be offered the job.

Dinahmo Mon 12-Aug-19 16:03:40

Quizqueen Immigrants who come to the UK to work also pay into the health system. If they are here long enough to get old and sick they would be entitled to the same benefits as the rest of us.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 12-Aug-19 16:11:17

Quiz, so just how do they do this work if for instance they are living in a city in social housing, maybe don't own a car and have a family. You are living in cuckoo land.

Dinahmo Mon 12-Aug-19 16:12:31

Quizqueen We are an aging population and are living longer and will need people to look after us. Where are they going to come from, all those people who do "menial" work?

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 16:47:10

I would just add that when it comes to immigrants from the EU they put more into the economy than they take out. We should be grateful to them. Let's not forget that if they claim benefits so do UK citizens living in other EU countries. It is a 2-way street.

TwiceAsNice Mon 12-Aug-19 16:55:53

So the minimum wage is going to be set at £36-700 presumably with no caveat as to how academically qualified you have to be?

Where does that leave me and others like me who do not earn as much as that despite two degrees and several post
grad diplomas. Where is the fairness in it ?

Is it unreasonable to think you would be recompensed accordingly for years of study and hard work?

TwiceAsNice Mon 12-Aug-19 16:56:50

I don’t care if you are local or immigrant I just want it to be fair

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 17:12:43

TwiceAsNice, No, not the minimum wage but the minimum salary an immigrant must be offered to get a work permit to be fill a specific job vacancy in the UK.

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 18:01:42

I wonder how companies are going to be able to afford that not insubstantial amount of money? I’m guessing there will be on costs associated with that too - that’s a lot of money for smaller companies to find.

TwiceAsNice Mon 12-Aug-19 18:04:51

Sorry MOnica I did mean salary . I still think it should be fair whoever is getting the salary

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 18:10:25

TwiceAsNice, There is absolutely no prospect of the minimum wage being set so high. SirChenjin is joking.

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:02

Apologies twice - I was being facetious in the face of the latest nonsense from No 10