Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police officer killed

(103 Posts)
dizzyblonde Fri 16-Aug-19 21:35:02

PC Andrew Harper was killed yesterday in the line of duty whilst responding to reports of a burglary. He was 28 years old and had been married only four weeks previously. He was due to go on his honeymoon next week.
Heartbreaking. sad

gillybob Sat 17-Aug-19 09:29:12

It disgusts me to think that anyone can/does commit murder and gets away with it. If someone killed a member of my family I wouldn't want them to breathe again.

I think we might all feel the same EllanVannin but I absolutely wouldn’t vote for the return of the death penalty .

Life imprisonment should mean life imprisonment.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Aug-19 09:44:04

I'm almost certain that Priti Patel ( home secretary ) supports the death penalty, or she did at some time.

9 times out of 10 life imprisonment doesn't always mean life nor does the punishment fit the crime, gillybob.
We read about some criminal or other being released after having done only half their sentence for them to go on to commit more crime----in some cases because they have nothing to lose by going into prison again.

This heinous crime against this young police officer was absolutely sickening and those who committed it aren't even human to my mind so why should we taxpayers pay towards their lives ?

janipat Sat 17-Aug-19 09:54:29

I'm with gillybob I couldn't vote for the return of the death penalty, but I do think that in most cases life should mean life. I thought when they abolished the death penalty that was the standard, life to be a whole life sentence.

Davidhs Sat 17-Aug-19 10:05:08

Perhaps we should have a referendum and I will guarantee parliament wouldn’t back a yes vote, far too liberal an PC

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 10:12:35

Nothing PC about being against the death penalty , if the death penalty hadn’t been abolished many innocent people would have been hanged .

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Aug-19 10:22:46

Apparently the ages of the 10 people in police custody vary from 13 years to 30 years. The punishment must fit the crime.

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 10:26:14

10 cannot be guilty of the murder , 10 people cannot drive one car.

CleoPanda Sat 17-Aug-19 10:29:54

They all participated in the crimes? They are all guilty.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Aug-19 10:32:31

By association Annie.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Aug-19 10:37:27

There wasn't the DNA testing nor the forensic experts before the abolishment of hanging in the mid-60's. In fact it wasn't until about 20 years later that there was DNA, so it's little wonder that mistakes were made.

WadesNan Sat 17-Aug-19 10:43:19

For too long we have been told we must "understand" and help criminals to a law abiding life. Whilst I am in favour of helping those who really want to stop criminal activity, many don't.

How often do we hear the excuses: they had a bad childhood, it was out of character, they didn't have any education , they are very sorry (yes that they got caught).

I am sure many GNs had difficult a difficult childhood (I know I did) yet didn't turn to crime.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Aug-19 10:49:51

WadesNan, this is exactly one reason why this punishment was abolished-----" bad childhood, poverty etc etc " which is discriminatory in the eyes of those who are against it, as is colour, ethnicity and whatever else you care to conjure up.

As if the above has anything to do with criminality. Criminals are from all backgrounds not just the above mentioned.

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 10:51:36

Guilty by association? Like Derek Bentley ?

The Birmingham Six , they wouldn’t have hanged ?

How many people have died in police custody ?

WadesNan Sat 17-Aug-19 10:56:44

EllanVannin My point was that criminals are using these reasons as if it excuses their behavour, when in fact, they have no intention of changing.

As I said I am in favour of helping anyone who genuinely wishes to change, but how often have criminals been given numerous "second" chances only to go on and commit more crimes.

GillT57 Sat 17-Aug-19 10:58:21

Although I am horrified by this case ( police family here too), I do not believe in the death penalty, it is state sanctioned murder. I do however, think that in many cases life should mean life. I feel really sorry for the officers who had to make that visit to the family to let them know, that awful knock on the door.

eazybee Sat 17-Aug-19 10:58:52

They will have been rounded up in an attempt to prevent them constructing alibis for those known/suspected of having been involved, and also in destroying evidence.

There is a similar 'community' close to where I live; most of the residents are hard working and law abiding, but a few families are not. They exercise strong intimidation against those who might know of their illegal activities; cars and property vandalised, children and even local councillors bullied, and police harassment claimed the moment they are investigated. Several have been in prison for GBH as well as burglary and fraud but they still continue to exercise a complete contempt for the law, which passes down through their families.
And those children receive a huge amount of support in school, when they are there, if not away 'travelling' because of their 'Romany Heritage.'

Bellasnana Sat 17-Aug-19 11:17:18

I can’t bear to read the details. Same age as my son. It is too dreadful to imagine what his poor family are going through.

There was a similar incident here in Malta about a year ago where a policeman was dragged along by an escaping offender. The policeman survived, but had life changing injuries, including the loss of his right arm.

quizqueen Sat 17-Aug-19 11:25:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Aug-19 11:30:25

I understand what you're saying Annie as I followed trials etc concerning the Birmingham 6, Guildford 4, Bridgewater 4, Susan May, Sally Clarke, Barry George, Stefan Kiszko to name but a few and in most cases of MOJ's it usually involves withheld evidence, a crime in itself where lack of expertise/experience was evident.

To say you don't believe in the death penalty can be interpreted as being that you have no faith in policing ?

Given the amount of murders we have today and the work of the police getting more difficult and dangerous something's got to give. Their numbers are getting less and less yet crime of every aspect is increasing rapidly.

It was said that crime fell after the abolition of hanging-----really ?? I'd like someone to prove that.

Alexa Sat 17-Aug-19 11:36:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Minniemoo Sat 17-Aug-19 11:37:32

The death penalty is no answer .

As Albert Pierrepoint said

"I do not now believe that any one of the hundreds of executions I carried out has in any way acted as a deterrent against future murder. Capital punishment, in my view, achieved nothing except revenge." ""

As the chief executioner with 400 hangings to his name I reckon he should know better than many.

It is revenge. And not all relatives of victims even want the Death Penalty.

There is no way we'd bring it back, thankfully. It has no place in society. We will always have criminals but no need to descend to their levels.

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 11:39:46

Ellan. Crime did not fall after the abolition of the death penalty, but the death penalty did not deter murder.

Have no faith in policing ? yes and no. There are good, honest police officers, there are corrupt police officers.

The death of this P.C. is heartbreaking but the outcry of
our police forces are wonderful’ is not true .

Alexa Sat 17-Aug-19 11:44:53

talking to an Irish Traveller prisoner in the West Midlands. He reeled off accounts of bullying at school, of being moved on time and time again, of police harassment and discrimination in the labour market. "Settled people hate us," was his simple conclusion. "They don't respect me, so why should I respect them?"

"Is he right? Does exclusion and discrimination excuse his criminality? No. And he didn't speak for the majority of law-abiding Gypsies and Travellers. But his bitter cynicism revealed that for him at least, the social contract was broken.

As a society we pay a high price for telling an entire community that they are not wanted."

Guardian

Lessismore Sat 17-Aug-19 11:46:31

Brava Annie.

Lessismore Sat 17-Aug-19 11:48:48

Following on from what David wrote, if there is a criminal underclass with a criminal culture,called Irish tinkers, then that class must be fought and put out of existence one way or another

Now there is a bit of cut and thrust on here sometimes and I can be a bit of a hot head but I find this absolutely offensive