Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police officer killed

(103 Posts)
dizzyblonde Fri 16-Aug-19 21:35:02

PC Andrew Harper was killed yesterday in the line of duty whilst responding to reports of a burglary. He was 28 years old and had been married only four weeks previously. He was due to go on his honeymoon next week.
Heartbreaking. sad

EllanVannin Sun 18-Aug-19 13:31:00

This violence toward our frontline serving staff-----police, A&E staff, teachers and fire officers has got to stop and the only way to halt this is to give these people back their powers which were removed and replaced by the Human Rights act in 1998.
In their lines of duty they have more right to be protected and safe.

As for criminals, their rights should be relinquished the day they commit a crime and they should be made to accept the punishment that's coming to them. Or not commit crime----the choice is theirs. I wouldn't stand any messing.

I'm sick to death of this PC country !

eazybee Sun 18-Aug-19 12:03:37

There is a list of Police Officers killed in the line of duty since 1900, mostly in the course of violent arrest.
Quite horrifying.
There is also a Roll of Honour for those killed whilst on duty, many through traffic accidents, to and from work.

paddyann Sun 18-Aug-19 10:54:19

Harris27 there have always been murders of serving police officers ,right from when the police force started .My GGGF was killed in the line of duty well over a hundred years ago ,he left a wife who was pregnant with my GGM .

Sadly she was left a young widow too at 28 as her husband died before his son ,my GF ,was born in 1888.

MawB Sun 18-Aug-19 09:04:17

This could so easily also have been the outcome of the vicious attack on a policeman in a leafy suburb of Birmingham just a week ago when an officer attempted to arrest a would- be car thief and was run down and run over by his own vehicle which the thief attempted to escape in. Fortunately his injuries were described “only” as “life altering” not fatal- but multiple fractures, including his pelvis and internal injuries are horrendous enough. The thief clearly meant business too. ??

Harris27 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:42:05

I can't begin to know what his poor family are going through. So very sad and it reflects how bad this country has got.myes gillybob here in the north east we think the crime is all London not coming home from work in Elon square. We all couldn't believe it at work.

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:34:24

Absolutely heartbreaking for his family and friends.
Another unnecessary loss of life yards away from the Ufton Nervet rail crash site which is still fresh in the minds of us locals .
God bless .

DillytheGardener Sun 18-Aug-19 01:24:05

You're very welcome Ann and Maggie, contributing is the only tangible thing we can do to support their family. So deeply sad. Not much shakes me, but this has been on my mind all day, PC Harper was about the same age as my boys.

Urmstongran Sat 17-Aug-19 23:44:42

The Father of murdered PC Andrew Harper has said his family have been left 'devastated' and 'in a bad place'

It came as the family released a further image of the officer, taken on PC Harper's recent wedding day

Police say there are safety concerns for the victims of burglary attended by PC Andrew Harper Thursday

Officers today confirmed the 10 male suspects had been arrested at the Four Houses Corner caravan site

PC Andrew Harper had been responding to reports of burglary near Reading when he was killed.

Tragic and so very sad for his family.
?

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Aug-19 23:36:39

Yes, thank you, Dilly.

AnnS1 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:55:39

Such an awful thing to have happened. Thank you Dilly for the link.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Aug-19 19:46:04

I rang Thames Valley Police - here is the official fundraising page

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/pc-andrew-harper?utm_term=wx8NEkR2n&fbclid=IwAR1Kfw4BNeYhhTzLslw5u6hsZK5eSaeKGJKdXOmVuro8fpvI0qOyDUKBUfw

growstuff Sat 17-Aug-19 18:42:34

Just wanted to add how sad I am. It's absolutely heartbreaking for his young wife, his family and all who knew him.
Can't really say anything else.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Aug-19 17:52:41

Perhaps Annie can start a new thread. This is dizzyblonde's post, meant as a thread for PC Harper, who dizzyblonde knew in her line of work.

Dizzyblonde, I'm assuming you work in the ambulance service? I'm so sorry you lost someone in your emergency service family. I and family members have be lucky to be assisted through our lives by our emergency services, and I'm heartbroken he died whilst keeping us safe. Let us know if there are any productive ways we can support his family, i.e donations through the station etc xx

maddyone Sat 17-Aug-19 17:42:44

Annie, this type of event must be a constant reminder, as Lemongrove says. This young policeman died in awful circumstances, as did your husband. It truly is terrible that police officers are killed like this in the line of duty. Good for your husband that he refused to wipe that parking offence, he was obviously a principled man Annie.
Isn’t it terrible that such wonderful police officers die just for doing their jobs?
That’s why I believe in life meaning life in prison.

DillytheGardener Sat 17-Aug-19 17:38:57

Let us refocus on PC Andrew Harper and his family. Are there any fundraisers that go directly to the family? Also his wife Lissie has a online shop, she does dear little cards and prints of animals. When it reopens in a time (unsurprisingly she has temporarily closed it for now), perhaps we could support her by purchasing her lovely wares? If you join etsy, you can click 'email me when shop reopens' She is clearly a lovely girl painting wee animals for a living, she should have had her brave husband by her side for a lifetime of adventures. Makes me so sad. We are luckily brave men and woman put the greater good first when they put their uniforms on every day. Lets leave politics out of it and focus back on PC Harper.

www.etsy.com/shop/theprintbee/?fbclid=IwAR2zm-BEIpi7NP7-DLP_JNTX0H4hdI2Tq5lM5pfcwO7ri18J_e9UBr2ABl4

Feelingmyage55 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:38:11

dizzyblonde. Thank you for starting this thread in tribute to a wonderful young man. I am sorry it has been derailed when a new thread could have been opened. Mumsnet HQ maybe could have helped here? Please know that many people are feeling sympathy for his family and sad that this has happened. I will, if it is all right with you, pray for him and his family, friends and colleagues. Please be kind to yourself in your sadness. I wish I had better words to express my sadness.

Lessismore Sat 17-Aug-19 17:37:43

Have you found the link yet quizqueen? Many Thanks.

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 17:36:22

Thank you Alexa and lemon, I didn’t want to cause upset but as criticism of the CPS, the Goverment, travellers were posted I chose to criticise police corruption.

I do fear for young officers on the beat, my younger granddaughter is studying Criminal Psychology at university, I am fearful where this will take her.

lemongrove Sat 17-Aug-19 17:16:11

Annie ?
These things are a constant reminder.

lemongrove Sat 17-Aug-19 17:14:46

So terribly sad, and like others, I found the wedding picture from a month ago almost unbearable to see.
(Police family here too) from the same area, it could easily have been my sil who had been killed, or the son of a friend in our village who is also at the same police station.Police and firemen risk their lives all the time for society.

Alexa Sat 17-Aug-19 17:13:06

Anniebach, that is some story. You feel you are honouring your lovely husband by continuing your fight against corruption. Be assured there are many who would stand alongside you.

dizzyblonde Sat 17-Aug-19 17:06:03

By the same token, Annie, there will be those on this forum who have been corrupt in public office yet you participate in this. Every meeting of any group of human beings you attend will, at some point, have paedophiles, rapists, embezzlers as part of it. Unless you never interact with any other human being you will come in to contact with such people. It does not, and should not, mean that we cannot honour those who have been killed, like your husband, in the line of duty. Otherwise their lives have been worth nothing.

HildaW Sat 17-Aug-19 15:55:05

Being personally but thankfully only slightly connected to this subject matter can I just please ask that this thread revert to its original theme. This was a brave young man working in a very difficult world. His family and friends and colleagues are going through hell and need our sympathy and support.

There will be corrupt and unpleasant people in all lines of work....The Doctor who kills, the Banker who steals etc. However this is not the time and place to discuss that. Start another thread if you want to. Can we just say thank you to this young man and his family, thank you and God bless.

Lessismore Sat 17-Aug-19 15:49:59

Do you have a link please quizqueen regarding non native Brits murdering policemen?

Lessismore Sat 17-Aug-19 15:46:57

I understand your history Annie, but sorry, I don't see the connection between this tragedy and corruption.