Gransnet forums

News & politics

Recall Parliament now

(58 Posts)
varian Sun 18-Aug-19 13:00:42

This is a national emergency. There is no mandate for an undemocratic no deal #Brexit. Reckless Johnson + unelected Cummings want to gag our democracy. We have written to the PM to demand Parliament is recalled. RT if you believe @BorisJohnson should #RecallNow

Tom Brake MP, LibDem brexit spokesman

twitter.com/thomasbrake/status/1162985890672762881?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

varian Tue 27-Aug-19 12:27:06

£28,000,000,000 in investment funds has left the UK since Boris Johnson became PM.

www.fnlondon.com/articles/no-deal-brexit-fears-push-investment-fund-outflows-to-28bn-20190812?mod=topStories

GagaJo Tue 20-Aug-19 07:37:56

They know the chaos they're about to cause. For a lot of people on the knees financially, caused by their policies, and don't care.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/18/number-10-furious-leak-document-predicting-no-deal-brexit-shortages?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3OCAT9_N_70kaSiemjMawTqKYHtKHl3SRy3WgJTmxcv801HMkVqGXgdBk

POGS Mon 19-Aug-19 20:42:46

Recall of Parliament.

16 days before Parliament reopens. Happy to be corrected

Corbyn is reportedly off to Ghana for 4 days, fact finding mission.

Johnson off to Europe.

What at this late stage would be the advantage and what would it cost the tax payer for compensating MP's and wages for staff etc.

I have no idea of the cost but I assume arrangements to open early must have a cost. Does anybody know?

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 19:28:41

"we must leave on 31st Oct"????

Nonsense

Why must we leave when most of us know very well, and have known for more than two years that leaving will damage our country?

gangy5 Mon 19-Aug-19 19:26:25

I quite possibly was exaggerating in my last thread about the 'few years' of disruption. We must leave on 31st October eiher with or without a deal. The silence from EU fans will be deafening and something to look forward to.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 15:57:51

Urmonstgran, The Civil Service has had leave cancelled. I know that from the horse's mouth (as it were). It still doesn't mean they have clear guidelines and if Dominic Cummings doesn't like what they come up with, he'll use them as scapegoats. There is no way that there's enough time to avoid sever disruption. 6,000 civil servants were returned to their original departments after the last deadline failed to happen. Some of them left and all will have to be retrained.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 15:53:24

The big players in the EU have already negotiated. They agreed to a deal and it's not their fault the HoC rejected it. If you think Johnson is some knight in shining armour, I think you're going to be in for a big disappointment. Undoubtedly, you'll find some way of blaming the EU.

The Irish border issue was mentioned repeatedly before the referendum, but it was all part of Project Fear. More like Project Reality!

Day6 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:31:47

meeting with Merkel and Macron, to try to convince them of the need to negotiate another deal minus the backstop

It ain’t going to happen. He knows that, but he has to be seen trying

So, whose fault is that? It's certainly not Boris's. If the big players in the EU won't negotiate, what is the UK supposed to do? Fold?

The last dreadful WA tying us to Brussels was rejected by the HOC, a cross party decision, and rightly so.

You might like to think Boris is at fault but it takes the EU to put something on the table that is acceptable to us. Ask yourself, what business would cave in to a poor, one-sided agreement that achieves nothing?

Stand up to the EU Boris! More than half of the UK population expects nothing less.

Urmstongran Mon 19-Aug-19 15:22:24

I read in one of the newspapers I read (can’t remember which one now, it was a few days ago) that many in the Civil Service are working through the summer. As Boris seems to be doing ... he’s off to see Merkel & Macron next week and hasn’t exactly been lying on a beach these last few weeks.

73 days to Brexit.

MawB Mon 19-Aug-19 15:21:32

I’m glad somebody thinks things are under control confusedconfusedconfused
I wish I shared his confidence hmm

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 15:15:34

Tory Brexiteer MP Andrew Bridgen has said that MPs do not need to be recalled because the government has things under control, and he has a holiday planned for the last two weeks of recess.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/andrew-bridgen-mp-on-recalling-mps-to-parliament-1-6223662

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 15:10:22

I understand that the new candidate for PM would have to demonstrate that he or she had the support of the majority of MPs.

Corbyn could of course try to do that, but would almost certainly fail.

Then someone else could try to garner enough support and if they were successful, HM would be advised to invite them to form a government.

If no-one could demonstrate that they had sufficient support there would have to be a general election.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 12:50:02

I doubt very much whether the Queen would want to be involved that much. Asking whether an individual could command a majority is, so I understand, a formality.

I guess if somebody turned up and claimed (s)he could form a government and Johnson turned up and objected, there might be a problem! hmm

Grandad1943 Mon 19-Aug-19 12:33:26

varian Quote [ I understand that the Queen would ask if there is anyone who can command a majority of MPs. That is the test.] End Quote.

So, would it be the case, in your opinion, that the Queen would call Jeremy Corbyn to the Palace as leader of the opposition, and request him to try and form a Government?

It would need Corbyn to inform the Queen that he felt he could not, and then recommend to the Monarch who he felt may be able to command a majority in the House of Commons.

Is that your thoughts varian?

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 12:02:45

I understand that the Queen would ask if there is anyone who can command a majority of MPs. That is the test.

It is obvious that Corbyn is extremely unlikely to be able to do that, but if he were to lend support to someone like Harriet Harman or Ken Clarke, it would be quite possible for a GNU to happen.

Grandad1943 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:50:39

Perhaps someone can advise on a unity government.

Question being, If a motion of no confidence in the government is carried by the House of Commons, the normal procedure has been for the Prime Minister (in this case Boris Johnson) to attend an audience with the Queen and resign the government.

I am not sure, but is it not for the Queen to then decide who she will call to the Palace and make a request to that person to try and form a government?

MaizieD Mon 19-Aug-19 11:43:38

You have no case to rest, quizqueen.

Democracy includes the right to oppose. When most of our Legislature is convinced that the Executive is about to cause irreparable harm to the country they have every right to oppose it and try to stop the harm.

varian Mon 19-Aug-19 11:34:20

A press release from the Labour Party tells us that-

"Jeremy Corbyn will promise to do “everything necessary to stop a disastrous no-deal Brexit” as he delivers a speech on Monday in the key marginal seat of Corby in the east Midlands as speculation grows about an election in the coming weeks."

Everything to stop a no-deal brexit? Presumably that means he would support a temporary Government of National Unity led by someone other than himself?

quizqueen Mon 19-Aug-19 11:24:10

If the referendum result had been 52% to remain then the Leavers would have been told to just shut up and suck it up. I rest my case.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 11:20:46

A little bird has told me that all senior civil servants have had leave cancelled, which seems a bit rich as the "Yellowhammer deniers" are claiming that it was civil servants being negative and nothing to do with lack of being prepared by the government. It's downright disgraceful that Parliament is in recess in the current crisis.

Grandad1943 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:15:42

The Labour Party is now supporting calls for Parliament to be recalled earlier than scheduled from its summer recess.

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell told the BBC that Jeremy Corbyn will meet other British political leaders next week to discuss tactics to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

John McDonnell then called for the House of Commons to be recalled "in the next few days" to allow MPs to debate the prospect of a no-deal.

However, Parliament could only be reconvened if the government put such a request to the Speaker John Bercow it would seem.

I feel that with the release of the Yellowhammer documents yesterday the early recall of Parliament will be the last thing this shambles of a government would want.

Link to further information on the Labour Party position in regard to the recall of Parliament can be found here:-
BBC News - Jeremy Corbyn: General election will stop Brexit 'crisis'
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49391297

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 09:01:46

So why didn't VoteLeave mention all this before the referendum, rather than plastering that stupid promise about the NHS on the side of a bus? I don't suppose it was anything to do with trying to hoodwink people?

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 09:00:03

PPS. Sorry, it was this thread.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 08:59:41

PS. I think you need to do a little research, so that you really understand the word "democracy". It's not just a soundbite to be shouted at anybody who disagrees with you.

growstuff Mon 19-Aug-19 08:58:45

Errmm...so it's OK for major decisions to be made while Parliament is in recess and totally unaccountable? Really?

How are you so sure that those who voted leave really understood the implications?

On another thread, one poster claims she knows all about the problems there are likely to be and is happy to impose disruption on the (nearly) half of the population who didn't vote for it. That seems very selfish to me. Why would anybody vote to make themselves worse off? Do we live in a country of masochists?