Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is the Great North happy to take the South's rubbish?

(21 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 25-Aug-19 13:02:14

Just looked at the link.
It does say could- not would.

MaizieD Sun 25-Aug-19 10:59:33

For anyone puzzled by this (as I was), here's a link to the story in the Independent:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/no-deal-brexit-rubbish-north-south-landfill-eu-boris-johnson-a9076051.html

paddyann Sun 25-Aug-19 10:57:29

I dont think its the recyclables that are going north,its the landfill stuff.The spokesman said they'll send it north,dig a big hole and bury it

No surprise ,they've been burying junk in Scotland for decades ,including rusting subs .I know we have more spare ground in Scotland but that doesn't mean we want the stink of landfill sites around us .Maybe they could turn one of Londons parks into landfill ?

PamelaJ1 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:32:26

MawB- I agree. We all need to take responsibility for our waste.
Things are changing, we have to come up with ways to cut waste and ways to reuse it. I’m not certain if I am imagining it but more cans seem to be being used, as opposed to plastic bottles for drinks.
Unfortunately too many of us haven’t got the message yet.

trisher Sun 25-Aug-19 10:24:42

MawB we have very good recycling facilities as well. The problem is they can only just cope with our waste more would just cause problems.

trisher Sun 25-Aug-19 10:22:03

Chewbacca Some people don't get sarcasm do they?

MawB Sun 25-Aug-19 10:17:58

Actually I do think we should take responsibility for our own rubbish. The thought that we could ship it off to Third World countries for them to dispose of it is frankly appalling. It’s their planet too.
And perhaps if we have to take responsibility for the recycling or disposal, people will finally realise that we create too much.
Locally we have an excellent recycling centre and an equally excellent weekly recycling collection, it does help to be aware and scrupulous about separating waste when you know an effective system is in place. And yes, it also provides employment.

Davida1968 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:17:14

Sorry - it's trisher's lighthearted comment that is tongue in cheek!

Davida1968 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:15:07

Oh dear, jura, can't you see that Chewbacca's comment was very "tongue in cheek?

Chewbacca Sun 25-Aug-19 10:12:47

Apologies jura, I see it wasn't you that posted that.

trisher Sun 25-Aug-19 10:11:36

Would anyone like to speculate where the money for recycling jobs will come from? Because it doesn't look like any more money will be coming North from this government
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/brexit-money-northern-england-labour-mps-may

Grandad1943 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:11:27

quizqueen Quote [More jobs here then for people in the recycling business. What's not to like!] End Quote?

There is the major problem that no one wants do the work dirty, boring manual work in the recycling industry in Britain

So, perhaps you would like to put yourself forward for such tasks quizqueen for the benefit of Brexit and the North of England.

What's not to like!

Chewbacca Sun 25-Aug-19 10:11:18

Rubbish from the South will no doubt be superior quality rubbish which Norhern (sic) children will scavenge on.

It's hard for me to remember when I last saw such a ridiculous piece of hyperbole jura. That sentence has completely devalued your original question. I'm from the north of England and I am as concerned about the situation as you but please, stop with overdramatic, hysterical statements that don't do anything to open the subject to a useful discussion. Lets stick to the facts.

Grandad1943 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:05:35

Apologies for the above, hit the post button before the text was finished.

Grandad1943 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:04:11

quiz queen Quite [

More jobs here then for people in the recycling business. What's not to like!

trisher Sun 25-Aug-19 09:56:03

Because once we are Brexited and EU money disappears the North will be completely screwed. With no money, no jobs and no industry to speak of poverty will be the norm. Rubbish from the South will no doubt be superior quality rubbish which Norhern children will scavenge on. (Makes you proud to be British don't it!!!)

PamelaJ1 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:49:53

Why is it going north as opposed to being distributed around the try?

jura2 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:48:45

quizqueen- words fail me sad

quizqueen Sun 25-Aug-19 09:48:01

More jobs here then for people in the recycling business. What's not to like!

FarNorth Sun 25-Aug-19 09:35:42

Blessing in disguise, maybe, if the UK has to actually stop producing so much garbage in the first place.

jura2 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:21:39

And yes, sorry, but it does have to do with Brexit. Fact.

Better start changing our whole attitude to rubbish and 'pretend' recycling, because neither the EU, nor Indonesia, etc - wants our **. Quite possible that the massive recent surge in plastics in ocean is because those 3rd world countries have just dumped what we sent to them, as they can't cope.