Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone know what Boris intends to do about the Irish border if he gets his no deal?

(145 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:03:14

Surely some things will still be imported from the EU.

Does he really not give a toss about NI's fragile peace. Is he really so hell-bent only with keeping in with Trump?

THAT is worrying.

patcaf Fri 06-Sep-19 12:42:33

The Taoiseach is the Prime Minister of Ireland. The president is a non political ceremonial role much the same as the Queen although it is an elected role. There is also a deputy prime minister the Tánaiste .

Lessismore Fri 06-Sep-19 11:50:54

Maybe if they'd survived and stayed they could have shot each other.

God it makes me sick.

paddyann Fri 06-Sep-19 11:02:07

I've been told by my late GM the reason her parents came here during the "famine" wasn't because there was no food,no potatoes sure and it was a staple of their diet .There was food though.My GGP were told if they denied their church and joined the local protestant church they could have food for their children.
In all honesty ,growing up I was sure that was just a myth but since doing research I have found it is in fact true .Many did change religion to feed families and then moved away,to England or Scotland or America where they promptly went back to their roots and reclaimed their religion.
The Oliver bloke who does the Coast programme says the Highland clearances were "economic migration" !..Seems his research wasn't so great.40,000 people were cleared from the western isles in a couple of years and not because they wanted to go.Its a way to justify the treatment of the poor in that time .There are justifications now about thetreatment of the poor ,the sick the elderly ...they call them SCROUNGERS .

Lessismore Fri 06-Sep-19 10:40:24

The potato famine is now being reclassified as genocide. It wasn't a famine, there was sufficient food.

DidoLaMents Fri 06-Sep-19 10:29:23

Growstuff you are right on the button! If Joelsnan thinks the Irish population just want to shoot each other I suggest they go away and educate themselves on the history of Ireland. Start with the potato famine, then the trade blocks on the Irish woollen and cotton industries and the clearances. Stanley Johnson has apologised for his ignorant and offensive comments. Perhaps Boris needs to do the same as The Irish Times reported ‘.. Boris Johnson was previously quoted as expressing surprise Taoiseach Leo Varadkar "isn’t he called Murphy like all the rest of them.”

We are all products of our history; may you reap what you sow.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 00:17:57

Meanwhile, Sinn Fein has said that it is prepared not to field candidates in an election, if the probable result would be a win for a pro-Remain candidate willing to take a seat in Westminster.

How ironic it would be if the union were to be saved by Sinn Fein and grown up politics.

jura2 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:41:22

Joelsnan : 'Is he wrong?'

shame, deep shame, on you.

jura2 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:40:24

Johnson is the first one to have no idea whatsoever as to what to do with the Irish border- not a clue. He makes noises about alternatives, but he has none, and has not come up with any new proposal or indeed solution, to take to Brussels.

He is not negotiating, there are currently NO negotiations going on- and as has been said, it is just a sham- pretending to negotiate so they can say 'oh we tried so hard, and the EU wouldn't play ball' - nonsense.

www.facebook.com/TheDailyPolitik/videos/2426832510929719/?t=42

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 15:53:44

There are some people who think the same of all Africans or people in the Middle East. They're all savages, doncha know! angryIt's easy to think that when you're in a nice leafy part of England.

What's frightening about the attitude towards Ireland is that it's right on our doorstep and the UK has had a major part in shaping Irish history. We are responsible, whether we like it or not.

The vast majority of people in the world just want to get on with their lives (just like those living in cosy England), but are pawns to extremists in their communities.

A hard border in Ireland and subsequent joblessness and poverty is just going to inflame the already fragile situation.

Lessismore Thu 05-Sep-19 15:46:37

The shoot each other comment is vile and arrogant. Vile.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 15:46:22

Stanley Johnson probably thinks all Irish people are funny little green or orange men with big hats.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 15:44:50

How about going to the Irish border and asking the question for yourself? See what the reaction is.

I'm actually quite disgusted that people think so little of other British citizens

Joelsnan Thu 05-Sep-19 15:40:33

Labiak
'Stanley Johnson has said the Irish would shoot each other “if they want to” irrespective of the status of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic after Brexit.

Is he wrong?

Labaik Thu 05-Sep-19 15:37:48

And Johnson Snr's position is... 'Stanley Johnson has said the Irish would shoot each other “if they want to” irrespective of the status of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic after Brexit.Stanley Johnson has said the Irish would shoot each other “if they want to” irrespective of the status of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic after Brexit.'

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 14:34:16

I remember the Kingsmill massacre and the times in the mid 70s, when it was almost impossible to turn on the TV without news of yet another tit-for-tat killing. I remember thinking it would never end.

To hear the survivor talking and see the sadness and fear still on his face was sobering. That was something new for me. When he said that he hoped his children and grandchildren grew up without fear of bomb or bullet, there was definitely a tear in my eye.

Johnson has said that crossing the border will just be like going between two different London boroughs. Rees Mogg has said that security will just go back to like it was in the Troubles - simples! hmm

For goodness sake! Don't they teach anything about history at Eton and Oxford?

Labaik Thu 05-Sep-19 14:02:13

..so, you don't lose sleep about the possibility of peoples lives being lost, but you worry more about tax on your property..'I am not a landlord renting property which any tenant can force me to sell to them, but I do own my own flat in London which will allow a labour govt. to tax the hell out of it when I die'.

Labaik Thu 05-Sep-19 13:59:17

...just when a series of events give me faith in humanity again I read something like that which shatters it....

Labaik Thu 05-Sep-19 13:58:14

'And yet again someone saying the peace is fragile. It always will be'. Is that a good enough reason to make it even more fragile? sad

annep1 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:14:22

Nothing new really in this film.
And yet again someone saying the peace is fragile. It always will be.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 02:27:55

Meanwhile, Rees-Mogg thinks we can return to a situation just like the Troubles

twitter.com/i/status/1033033628303941638

I hope he watches Oborne's film.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 01:56:54

One man in the film survived after being shot 18 times, but all his friends died.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 01:55:04

A powerful film with Peter Oborne (Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail) about the realities of Brexit for the Irish border.

twitter.com/i/status/1169309541902770182

Labaik Wed 04-Sep-19 00:07:21

It was interesting what Caroline Lucas said about how the British constitution [?] needed to be changed; it has seemed to me for quite a while that a lot of things seem to depend on gentlemen's agreements and a lot of things need more clarity. Much as I'm finding Parliament absolutely fascinating [dare I say entertaining albeit in a gruesome sort of way] at the moment, I do think it needs to be updated. And, even though Bercow is my absolute hero, it seems wrong that one person should have so much power over what does or doesn't get debated.

DidoLaMents Tue 03-Sep-19 23:38:15

I agree wholeheartedly Varian. But who will fill the vacuum created by the events of the next couple of days?

absthame Tue 03-Sep-19 20:58:05

Amen to that Varian