Gransnet forums

News & politics

At last I approve of something Boris has done

(20 Posts)
Shoequeen53 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:08:42

Apparently the Downing Street staff are falling over themselves to walk the dog. I, too, wonder who’s going to get custody of him when Carrie sees the light.

trisher Tue 03-Sep-19 10:54:08

I saw it as well. I did wonder- want a dog, adopting a dog, but can't be a***d to go and collect it!

Grammaretto Mon 02-Sep-19 23:02:15

trisher grin
I saw on the news this evening the poor wee mutt being carried into its new house.

trisher Mon 02-Sep-19 20:51:24

I was just wondering abot the home inspection, I believe you have to have them for rescue dogs.
"So Mr Johnson, are there any children in the house."
"No-well yes. Well sometimes."
"How many? and how old are they?"
"Bloody hell I didn't know there was an exam!"

Grammaretto Mon 02-Sep-19 11:58:39

Ah but paddyann if you want to reintegrate yourself back into society - thinking here of prisoners etc - you have to start somewhere and perhaps his exwives and ex children don't want him any more. An innocent dog will love him unconditionally.

paddyann Mon 02-Sep-19 11:34:11

Go Boris..the man who abandoned his wife while she was fighting cancer gets a DOG and the tories think hes such a wonderful man!!! Words ..for once ,fail me .

mcem Mon 02-Sep-19 11:16:35

Agree trisher - exactly my point.
Ps I did not imply that the dog is anything other than an innocent party being cynically used to persuade dog-lovers that BJ is himself a dog-lover so can't be all bad!

trisher Mon 02-Sep-19 10:35:36

They'll hire a dog walker. People around me have them. They pick up in a van and take the dogs to a park/open space to walk them. London parks are full of them.

Pantglas1 Mon 02-Sep-19 10:33:18

I can never understand people who are out at work all day having a dog. A cat will look after itself but dogs need company/walking so who’ll be doing it for Boris and Carrie?

trisher Mon 02-Sep-19 10:21:32

oh it's just going to be a bone of contention when they split up, who gets the dog? Actually I don't care. Except I can see the advisors saying "Do something that appeals to the British, something to do with animals-dogs would be best."
The only Jack Russell I ever knew personally was my uncle's. It was very friendly and I thought sweet, but apparently was used when they found rats on the farm and put down holes to kill them. She was apparently a famous ratter. So watch out Boris! A Jack Russell can deal with a rat.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 10:10:56

?

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 10:03:23

A literal example of 'dog whistle politics', isn't it? grin

annodomini Mon 02-Sep-19 09:30:22

DGD has a Westie/Jack Russell cross. She has the jet propulsion of the JR and the charm of the Westie. She loves to wash my face and clean my ears!

Grammaretto Mon 02-Sep-19 08:45:19

Ripe for metaphor galore Whitewavemark2
What happens when Larry and JR are seen cosying up on the bed together?
Oh I've just read the pup is a JR cross.
Does that mean it's politically correct or will it grow into a very large beast like its owner?

sodapop Mon 02-Sep-19 08:40:56

In defence of JRs yes they have attitude, are determined and wilful, but they capture your heart. Our JR is 14 now and has never bitten anyone in his life. He has had all sorts of not very pleasant treatment at the vet's and never had to be muzzled, he is considered their mascot at the clinic
Well done Boris for getting a rescue dog and not some expensive over bred one. Of course it may have publicity value but I hope the little dog has a happy life.

Grammaretto Mon 02-Sep-19 08:38:23

Of course it's a cynical ploy but hey the dog is innocent surely?
Our JR never caught a mouse but growled at dogs many times her size which was disconcerting when a harmless Rottweiler or German shepherd passed by for a sniff.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:35:59

I think there is a metaphor here.

Larry the cat is the poor hapless Tory party about to be savaged by Jack the Russell nee Cummings on the alter of the hard right.

Iam64 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:30:22

I was entertained by the adoption of the Jack Russell. They're often the second dog of people with working labs, at least that is what can be seen at various dog/animal/farm shows. The labs behave perfectly, always. The Jack Russells do exactly what they want to do, usually including snapping at people they don't like and leaping up, twisting, turning and generally not sitting still.
Yes, savaging the post person, killing small furry animals etc. How will the new dog get on with Larry the cat? Will the cat's capacity for catching mice be overwhelmed by the JR, they're mega mouse/rat catchers.
This is the news we need.

mcem Mon 02-Sep-19 08:29:33

So am I the only one who sees the adoption of a young rescue dog as a cynical ploy to show the couple as 'the good guys'.
While hoping the dog does well, I think it might end up as collateral damage when everything falls apart around BJ.

Grammaretto Mon 02-Sep-19 07:56:36

He and his gf Carrie have adopted a Jack Russell "rescue" puppy who looks adorable in the photos.
I used to have a JR. She was a very intelligent and loyal pooch though she tried to savage the postman...