Gransnet forums

News & politics

How right we were

(185 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:08:17

I expect everyone can remember our posts during the Tory leadership elections and the extinctive knowledge that Johnson would be a disaster as leader.

How right we were.

Johnson is treating this great office of state as an entitlement rather than a huge responsibility. His reputation for laziness and ill preparedness means that his mentor Cummings can take total control and rule with an iron fist.

On Tuesday his performance was an absolute car crash. His incoherent argument was bumbled out resulting in his first voting lose, and his assurance that his majority of 1 dropped to -24 (I think, tbh I’ve lost count)

On Wednesday at PMQs- his backbencher must have sat more in hope than expectation and they weren’t disappointed. Within minutes of his standing it was clear that they were heading for another disaster. Instead of measured thoughtful replies, what we got was a show of excruciating narcissistic ego.

What he achieved was what many thought in the Tory party was impossible.

He made Corbyn look like a statesman.

However he totally lost the house once Dhesi stood up and asked him to apologise for his racist Islamophobic comments.
Johnson arrogance means however, that he is incapable of saying sorry - ever. So all the house got was a bumbling load of piffle

He couldn’t wait to scurry off back to his leave campaigners in number 10. He is safe there playing his fantasy war games with Cummings.

He came back later for even further humiliation. He lost the commons timetable and couldn’t even persuade them to decide to boot him out to run an election.

3 votes carried out 3 lost. 100% failure.

Ladies our instincts were so right.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:13:17

Agree with a lot of what you say WWM2 except Corbyn looking like a statesman - he’ll always be old man Steptoe to me!

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:13:40

So there are now two hopeless leaders in Parliament.
Voters will be spoilt for choice in any GE.

Firecracker123 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:15:29

What a load of piffle. Good grief you think Corbyn looks like a stateman. What a joke. ? ? ?

He's a bloody Traitor handing our country over to Brussels he should be ashamed of himself.

Labour and Corbyn will be wiped out in a General Election no wonder he's running scared of one now after continually asking for one.

CORBYN'S A HYPROCRITE

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:17:14

Lots of whataboutery going on here.

Probably because there is nothing that anyone can say to defend this narcissistic ego of hopelessness.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:21:04

It’s not whataboutery....it’s the simple truth of the matter!
If there was a GE soon, then Johnson would still be preferable
To Corbyn to the voting public.
It’s a case of bad or even worse I’m afraid.

sodapop Thu 05-Sep-19 08:23:10

Yes I agree with that lemongrove

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:26:35

lemon Of course it is. If you could you would provide ample evidence of Johnson competence and desirability as PM.

But you can’t he is as big a disaster as GN poster predicted that he would be.

How many times can you remember someone who stood up in the commons being clapped over his stunning question. And how many times can you remember a PM replying so utterly inadequately.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:35:07

Ahem!
I said how much I didn’t ‘rate’ Johnson several times on the threads when everyone was discussing who would be the next leader!

Grandad1943 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:35:28

With Parliaments return this week all the flaws in Johnson as a leader have been exposed. I did at least expect that he would prove to be a good performer at Prime Ministers question time, but that has proven to be his largest humiliation of the week so far.

His buffoonery and inability to answer any question, or even give a good evasive answer was an embarrassment to watch at times.

In the few short weeks that Johnson has been leader of the Conservative Party, he has turned that once great political institution into "a total car crash."

However, we do have to hope i feel that the Conservative Party does recover, for right-wing politics without it would be without doubt far harsher and very possibly far less democratic.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:36:50

The only thing that I applaud him and his team for is the determination to at least try to get us out of the EU at the end of October.

mcem Thu 05-Sep-19 08:37:40

And the dire combination of tory/brexit parties is looming as BJ scrambles around, desperately trying to hang on to his position.
Sir John Curtice has explained the situation fairly clearly. It seems that L.P. and SNP are correct in their policy re timing and because of the lack of trust in the PM it's imperative that the date of a GE must be 'set in stone's so that he can't renege. All the bluffing accusations of 'frit' and 'chicken' are smoke and mirrors!
None of this would be necessary if we had a PM who could be trusted.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:37:43

lemon I thought as so.

I think almost everyone who posted thought he would be a total car crash and it has proven so to be.

gmarie Thu 05-Sep-19 08:45:21

Am borrowing the phrase, bumbling load of piffle, to use when describing our narcissistic windbag here in the US. Just love it. So apt.

gmarie Thu 05-Sep-19 08:52:15

Here's a little taste of what it's like in the US to distract you from your woes for a hot minute. grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJkwYh1vfk&list=WL&index=15

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:52:50

They are our cross to bear gmarie

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:53:47

It won’t let us play it in the U.K. gmarie☹️

gmarie Thu 05-Sep-19 09:07:26

Oh, darn. In sum, on the subject of hurricanes, alone, our president warned people in the wrong state that one was headed their way; professed to have never heard of a category 5 storm, even though there have been 4 level 5 storms since he became president; suggested using a nuclear bomb to stop it; and cancelled a trip to Ireland to stay and monitor the storm (he played golf for 2 days).

Our cross to bear. blush

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:22:46

Nick Boles MP

The parliamentary term is less than 3 days old and already the world has discovered what whose of us who have worked with Boris Johnson have always known: he is cowardly, weak, vindictive and without morals. Behold your Prime Minister, ladies and gentlemen.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:24:29

The saddest part of all Marie is that he’ll probably walk the next election as the USA, like the UK, has no credible alternative.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:25:24

Apology- should read gmarie

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:30:04

gmarie I think I’ve just seen it on twitter, or at least an article about it. Did Trump use an altered map to include Alabama?

I actually thought that the Democrats had some good candidates shaping up pantyglas correct me if I’m wrong

gmarie Thu 05-Sep-19 09:39:42

Whitewavemark2, yes. It's just one of the many, many things that he does on any given day. I despair of ever feeling normal here, again. Pantglas1, hopefully you are incorrect. Any of the 10 Democratic challengers would be a vast improvement. For that matter, so would either of the 2 Republicans considering a primary challenge. Off to bed for me. It's close to 2 a.m. here in California.

Grandad1943 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:45:49

Those who state that there is no credible alternative government to Boris (The Buffoon) Johnson and the Tory party should think back to the 2017 General Election.

With a twenty point plus lead in the opinion polls, Theresa May called that election with the sole intention of wiping out the Labour Party in the House of Commons. Well, we all know now what happened on polling day in that Election, Theresa May lost the Conservatives their majority in Parliament which was the start of the problems we are still witnessing in the Conservative Party

Even Jeremy Corbyn's arch critic Tony Blair has acknowledged that Corbyn has handled the Brexit crisis in the last few weeks to great effect. With a General Election once again very much in the offing, the Labour Parties prospects with Corbyn leading the campaign trail look excellent i feel.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:50:24

grandad ?????????????????