Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do we understand what a “No Deal” actually means ?

(61 Posts)
Realgranddad Fri 06-Sep-19 10:01:03

We are close to the most important decisions of our lives. Ones that will affect the quality of lives of generations to come, our grandchildren and family quality of life and possibly their economic future.
17 millions of us voted for a Brexit Deal, a small major of 2%. At the referendum we were told an easy transition would be possible. We were all badly mislead by deception throughout
the campaign by both sides. None of us voted for what has been described as an extreme dangerous “No deal” that would put lives & jobs at risk.
I never voted for a No deal, in fact I did not consider it or even know what it meant.

For me today the important question is : Do we understand what a no deal actually means? The possible shortages of essential medications manufactured
P in the EU and lives being put at risks, jobs, economy, food prices increases have all been mentioned. What is the truth, is it worth taking the risks, what if any are the benefits? Your considered views please, having lived through the horrors of war shortages I don’t desire to put my 12 grandchildren at risk.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 23:24:55

I deal with facts not silly nonsense.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 23:22:39

I'm at what again? I do deal with facts.

Do you enjoy being patronising? Does it make you feel good?

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Sep-19 23:07:14

Urmstongran Quote [Well he said tonight on tv, quite confidently, he’ll be bringing a deal back by mid-October.
Something has to shift.] End Quote

I feel that if matters do not rapidly improve by mid-October the Tories could well be looking for ways to preserve the party.

Therefore they may feel the thing that has to be shifted is Boris Johnson.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 22:57:30

growstuff
You are at it again. Am I touching a nerve with facts?
If you can’t debate there are plenty of word games on here.

Urmstongran Fri 06-Sep-19 22:41:47

Well he said tonight on tv, quite confidently, he’ll be bringing a deal back by mid October.

Something has to shift...

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:34:20

Apologies should be UDP in my above post, not UPD.

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:32:36

Urmstongran, in regard to your post @-21:53 today, I feel that the problem for Boris Johnson would be that the hard right of the Tory party would never accept such a climb down. Indeed the ERG group have stated that they will never accept the May withdrawal agreement even if the backstop is completely removed.

Therefore Johnson would have to gain the support of all the opposition parties in the House of Commons to have any chance of the deal being accepted in the face of opposition from within his own party and the UPD.

There is also the problem that the Conservative Party Conference is due to begin on 29th of September which would without a doubt give Johnson "one hell of a reception" if such a deal has been brought forward.

A further problem could be that Parliament would have to ratify such a deal, which is a Parliament that Johnson has suspended from next week.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 22:08:20

Urmstongran ....I shall try and get my head around that after tea and toast and some tv.?

Dinahmo Fri 06-Sep-19 22:04:41

Given Johnson's performance over the last few days he's incapable of negotiating anything at the moment. Incoherent, forgetful...need I go on?

Urmstongran Fri 06-Sep-19 21:53:44

Boris on tv tonight thinks he ‘can get a deal’.

Speculation is this:

.... what if Boris decided to accept the Northern Ireland-only backstop - which Mrs May rejected and has been gathering dust in Michel Barnier’s bottom drawer since last November?

The EU are clear they would do this, a lot of Northern Irish business and civil society groups could live with it, and since the Withdrawal Agreement text was being re-opened to insert the old backstop, the EU could also insert some sweeteners to sell the idea to an exhausted Parliament and allow Boris to say he’s ‘changed the deal.’

There could be expanded language, for example, on consent to address democratic deficit issues raised by an NI-only backstop, alongside firming up the idea (already expressed in the Strasbourg declaration) that the backstop will fall away piecemeal as different areas were resolved.

The DUP would scream blue murder, of course, but it would enable them to avoid a ‘no deal’, which would be disastrous for them, whatever the official party line.

Indeed Boris - who has already suggested an all-Ireland regulatory ‘SPS’ regime for food product – ‘British people but with Irish cows’ as he put it – has already hinted that the ultimate solution might lie in that direction ....

Clearly, this would be a huge climbdown from the UK side which is currently saying that any NI-only elements must be with DUP consent, but - well, desperate times might call for desperate measures!

Any thoughts?

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 21:51:47

jura and MaizieD .....I have no idea what you are on about.
I not only meet Gners regularly ( who can see how old I am) !
But also say things that give it away, such as on the Madeira thread, that we celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary next year.
I am perplexed about this 1974 thing, but can only think it may have been some spoof thread in the past.
Be assured, I would very much love being born in the 70’s, as I would have a long life to look forward to.

jura2 Fri 06-Sep-19 21:44:17

so it was all porkie pies then Lemon - I rmember that clearly too.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 20:56:48

Oh, you were a pre schooler then Elegran ?
I was still a pre schooler when rationing ended, although I remember seeing the ration book in a drawer for years afterwards.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 20:42:30

Joelsnan Well, maybe you could stop coming up with silly stuff about science, Erasmus, the companies which have already located and the idea that the UK can go back to some halcyon days when we traded with the world. We can still trade with non-EU countries, but the difference is that most of them won't tolerate us exploiting them.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 20:39:12

Rationing was stricter immediately after WW2 anyway.

Elegran Fri 06-Sep-19 20:33:39

I've just returned to GN after several hours in the "real world" to discover that Lemongrove has aged me by five or ten years. I am not that old. I said I remembered shopping with my mother - it would have been before I started school. I was born in 1939, just pre-war. No need to be mid-eighties or more to remember life under strict rationing and shortages. It was no fun trying to keep a family fed and fit under the circumstances.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 19:19:13

wine
Cheers all.
Jabberwok wonder you have any teeth left.?

Fennel Fri 06-Sep-19 19:08:43

ps Good weekend to all - I'm off until Sunday.

Fennel Fri 06-Sep-19 19:05:36

What has happened to Realgrandad ?
Come on, respond to some of the comments!

Jabberwok Fri 06-Sep-19 18:44:19

I was born in1943 and can remember sweet rationing and having a ration book. My parents used to let me have their sweet ration as they didn't want them, so I used to buy three books worth! I don't remember any other rationing, but my stepfather was in the corn trade so bartering with customer farmers was alive and well!!??

trisher Fri 06-Sep-19 18:37:00

This tax revenue will be available as a gross amount to continue to fund these initiatives.
Please could you explain this to the government? The NE is to lose a substantial amount of money and there has been no effort to make sure the people here are supported.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:32:45

growstuff
By the way, had you noticed that the UK doesn't have an empire any more?

I thought this thread was conducting reasonable debate...but there you go again.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:30:44

Growstuff
You obviously see what you want to as do I.
Do look at countries who are participants in Erasmus.
Maybe EU funding is ending for some programs, but dont forget that EU funding is actually the taxes that you and I pay that are remitted to Brussels, an admin portion creamed off and then returned wrapped up as EU funding. This tax revenue will be available as a gross amount to continue to fund these initiatives.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:24:34

Trisher
The shortest time any trade deal has taken to process is about 2 years

This would be the length of time when commencing the discussions from a standstill position. With regard to the EU the UK should theoretically be fully compliant to trading requirements having being part of the union, so a long drawn out process should not be an issue. If the EU wanted to draw it out it would surely in effect be contradicting its own policy and processes which UK have recently applied to their trade.
As mentioned, no actual trade talks can take place until departure, however it is apparent that ‘behind the scenes’ agreements are waiting in the wings, going public with these agreements may be in contravention of trade laws or it could be UK is keeping its powder dry. Of course for the pessimists the negotiators could have been playing solitaire in their laptops and we could all starve or die from the Black death without medication.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 18:24:13

Must ask my GN friends when we meet if I only look in my 40’s.?