Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rudd has resigned

(48 Posts)
absthame Sat 07-Sep-19 21:30:44

Amber Rudd has resigned from the government and joining the 21 rebels to stop Johnson

varian Mon 09-Sep-19 19:11:09

Right now on BBC Parliament channel we can judge that for ourselves.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 12:19:52

Urmston; alas, that humour isn't to be found on this forum but on facebook...

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 12:17:59

She says she did actually believe that Johnson was trying to broker a deal with the EU when she joined the cabinet, and I believe her. But the fact that she's left because she realised he was lying about it makes me question what some peoples interpretation of 'honourable' is.

Iam64 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:53:11

"she went to a good school" it failed to inculcate a sense of honour!
Oh My. Boris Johnson, Reece Mogg and co all went to "a good school". - Didn't help them become decent honourable human beings, did it.

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:49:25

?

Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 08:02:37

As a staunch Remainer, even some of those ‘loyal friends’ of Rudd are still wondering why she ever contemplated a Cabinet job with Johnson, let alone accepted one!

This made me giggle:
During the referendum campaign, she mocked him as the ‘life and soul of the party but not the man you want driving you home at the end of the evening’. Apparently Boris still often greets Rudd with the words: ‘Want a lift?’
?

Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 07:39:27

Thank you Labaik my view too!

By the way, I wasn’t upset by the ‘stupid’ remark. I didn’t rush to have it deleted as MaizieD thought. I’m not so precious.
?

jura2 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:33:02

Will they stand by the EDL and BF thugs beating up policemen and smashing the place up today, I wonder ?

Labaik Sun 08-Sep-19 13:28:36

I think Brexit has resulted in a lot of humour because sometimes it's only laughing at the sheer stupidity of it all that keeps some of sane.

MaizieD Sun 08-Sep-19 13:27:20

I had a post removed which involved the word 'stupid' so that is clearly the greater crime. 'Po faced' is just banter... hmm

growstuff Sun 08-Sep-19 13:09:58

Hmm...

Which is worse … po faced or stupid?

MaizieD Sun 08-Sep-19 13:06:49

Oooooh, GGMK3, you'll get removed for that.... Not allowed to say other posters are stupid... They'll be pressing their 'report' buttons even as I type...

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 13:02:13

Jeez. There are some po faced posters about.

And some really stupid ones who are willing to believe anything and everything that supports there point of view.

Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 12:09:47

Apparently the culture secretary Nicky Morgan, has apparently said she intends to stay in the Cabinet.

Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 11:59:51

Thank you both for your upticks!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:46:17

Urmstongran I think we need a bit of light hearted jocularity on the political threads...........three years and three months of the same argument seems to be getting to some posters ???

Pantglas1 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:12:54

I quite like a touch of irreverence especially when it comes to politicians - they and their disciples take themselves far too seriously and the basic decencies nowhere near seriously enough. In my opinion, of course.

Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 11:07:33

Well I thought it was amusing! I know these political threads are serious but honestly, who on earth was going to be ‘my unimpeachable authority’ really?

Jeez. There are some po faced posters about.
?

EllanVannin Sun 08-Sep-19 10:52:50

How can any of them justify their salaries these last 3 years when they've done nothing but bicker and row then leave ??

All the Nero's fiddling while letting Rome burn. This England !

Dolcelatte Sun 08-Sep-19 10:01:23

Like Boris you mean.

jura2 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:59:24

difficult to tell with some people - and some jokes are so not funny.

Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 09:57:29

Oh for crying out loud - it was a joke!!
??

eazybee Sun 08-Sep-19 09:55:23

I woke up to the news Rudd had resigned; the newsflash said she was leaving the Conservatives and Parliament also.
Unfortunately this is not true. All the time I was watching her self-justifying interview with Andrew Marr a line from my old school song, forgotten for years, kept flashing through my mind:
" We will never bring disgrace to this our city, by any act of dishonesty, or cowardice, or ever desert our suffering comrades in the ranks." (apparently it was based on the pledge of Athens,and we thought it hilarious at the time; I understand it better now.)

She went to an extremely good school; obviously they singularly failed to inculcate any sense of honour in her. Nothing to do with Brexit but everything to do with loyalty.
She and her twenty -one colleagues need to be expunged forthwith.

jura2 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:54:26

Of course you do - as always USG - your wisdom amazes me ...

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:44:16

I have it on unimpeachable authority that she only took the job to do this....

Of course you do UG. I should check out that single horn on the head of the horse whose mouth this came from UG.