Gransnet forums

News & politics

How long do you estimate it will take for us to get a deal after leaving with no Withdrawal Agreement?

(40 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:50:02

Out of interest, just how long do you think it will take to reach deals with the EU if we leave with "no deal". Only one country - Mauritania* - deals wholly and only on WTO rules. All other countries work towards a Free Trade Agreements wherever they can. These will have to be reached if we are to sustain anything close to our present economy.

Leaving on the so called "no deal" is not the end; it simply means we leave without a withdrawal agreement. That is the first thing the EU, our current largest market and the one we must keep if we are to have anything like our current economy, will want sorted before they will discuss trade deals, security or anything else.

So, my question. Do some of you actually believe we will not have trade deals with the EU eventually and if we can have them how long do you think it will take to agree them?

* https://medium.com/@MrWeeble/who-actually-trades-solely-under-wto-rules-1b6127ce33c6

CBBL Mon 09-Sep-19 16:12:14

I read the thread listed by MaisieD, and certainly agree that the processes are both lengthy and so fraught with problems that I wonder that any Trade Deal with anyone is EVER passed in the US at all!
However, I now doubt that the UK will ever leave the EU, since a majority of current politicians seem set on reversing the decision to leave. I'm afraid I see nothing but trouble ahead and am rapidly losing the will to live! If only I had sufficient funds, I would emigrate to New Zealand in the hope that this location is far enough away to forget about about the whole debacle!

Hetty58 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:38:26

CBBL, New Zealand is a country properly run - therefore the need for sufficient funds to support yourself or somebody who will sponsor you. They don't just let anyone in!

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:42:38

My worry is that "the Media" and some politicians are talking about a "no-deal" as if that's it. As others have said the only thing that we have been discussing is the Withdrawal Agreement and therefore the Transition period which would have smoothed out the changes for both us and the EU.

It has taken us two years not to be able to reach agreement on the Withdrawal Agreement but the EU will want the terms agreed while they discuss trade or before.

Trying to use WTO terms is rarely advantageous and is often only used where a trade deal cannot be reached. We may think we can go ahead once we have left, but those we want to trade with outside the EU may want a deal with the EU, probably a bigger market for them than we would be. This could also slow down or stop deal-making.

25Avalon, you say read ... ... etc. Could you give us a link to that, please? It would be useful to know the terms these countries are looking at if we a) leave in a proper way or b) let partners we already have an agreement with down by just opting out and not paying our dues. I am sure it would make other countries think again about dealing with us or about tightening their deals just in case.

I cannot see us sorting things out with the EU for 4 to 5 years minimum and this would be without a transitionary period. All that time our economy could be diminishing. Perhaps not badly but our name as a trading partner would have been damaged too. Making deals with other countries - unless it was to their advantage only, could be a long time coming.

We keep being told to be upbeat. I have faith that most people will work for our survival but I would really like some sort of time frame if this is being done to our country.

If anyone, particularly those who want this form of leaving, knows more I, for one, would be grateful for some concrete information.

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 17:19:39

Grateful to Monica for that really useful summary. As Avalon failed to give a link, I found the following on the BBC site which I hoped would be more neutral than some sites.

Obviously work is being done but despite higher degree qualifications, I can't say I feel qualified to say how useful these agreements will be post Brexit.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47213842

Davidhs Mon 09-Sep-19 18:22:31

There will be a deal! The latest idea where NI only stay linked to EU will provide the solution, with a border down the Irish Sea. Now the DUP don’t hold the balance of power they will just have to put up with it.
Wether that will benefit the rest of the UK is still an open question

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:46:58

You simply cannot come onto a serious politics thread and offer such an opinion with no facts to back it and expect to be taken seriously.

There may be a deal. The move you suggest may or may not be accepted by Northern Ireland, Ireland and the EU or it may not. Perhaps Davidhs, you have more facts. If so I for one would be interested to here them.

Wishful thinking comes a bit late as the current government try to game our future.

varian Mon 09-Sep-19 18:55:14

If you do want to take politics seriously, please watch the BBC Parliament channel now.

Davidhs Mon 09-Sep-19 20:15:24

A border down the Irish Sea is the logical solution, nobody wants a border between north and south but it has to go somewhere. TM would probably have accepted that as a solution we’re it not for DUP opposition, so maybe logic will prevail after all.
Of course it won’t please the extremists, who had their own plans for profiting from chaos, but parliament is in control now not no deal zealots.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 20:19:23

It will be very damaging to the Good Friday agreement. There has already been a resurgence of dissident IRA activity, this will revive Protestant paramilitary activity and it would be a very dangerous thing to do.

Boris is stupid enough to think that this will be OK. I doubt anyone else will.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 21:15:22

Maybe something we ought to have looked into Hetty in the past.

We’ve been too soft.

Unlike other countries!

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:17:51

But Hetty, the UK did NOT have to let anyone in- at all. They chose to- nought to do with the EU.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 21:26:51

Hetty the difference between a country that does not need migrants and one that does. We are too fussy to do the dirty difficult jobs, harvesting fruit and vegetables, caring for our older people and governments have consistently not trained enough doctors and nurses. In fact many of the people we let in were well educated and spoke excellent English, so after a stint doing our dirty work they looked for better work taht would make the most ofn their skills..

Or are you talking about refugees fleeing the horrors of their home land. What do you suggest we do? Send them back for Assad to murder or be victims of the Taliban?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:53:52

This is why I asked the question in the OP.

A majority of both Conservative (55%) and Leave (60%) voters , however, think a no-deal Brexit would result in a clean break from the EU, meaning the country could the focus on something else. @YouGov

When you think that we will be dealing with even greater difficulty (of our own making) in getting trade deals with the EU, and we will have the chaos caused by leaving with no deals in place you have to ask just how could these people have been so mislead? Brexit is not going anywhere. Even if we left with a deal and the softening factor of a transition period it could well take years.

Without a deal the UK economy is widely predicted to take a sizable hit. The Irish boarder, citizens rights, the divorce bill will still have to be agreed while, in theory, a trade deal is put in place. This will also take years, quite probably more years.

In both cases there is still no plan in existence for the Northern Ireland/Irish boarder this has not been done elsewhere so again is unlikely to be quick or without controversy.

varian Mon 09-Sep-19 23:48:37

Brilliant speech by Jo Swinson