Gransnet forums

News & politics

News just in

(8 Posts)
Nonnie Wed 11-Sep-19 11:51:20

Court has ruled that Boris Johnson misled the Queen. “The PMs advice to HM the queen was unlawful”

Sorry if this is already on one of the other threads. Please let me know if it is and I'll get this one deleted.

Happiyogi Wed 11-Sep-19 12:16:40

Many believed that to be true from the start, and are delighted to have confirmation!

The stifling of democracy is a common factor historically, prior to Bad Things Happening.

paddyann Wed 11-Sep-19 12:20:54

very pleased the High Court in Scotland has reached this conclusion.

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 13:10:54

Yah, boo, Cummings! Who undoubtedly pulls the strings.

silverlining48 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:25:18

Following from your comment Happi there is an interesting bbc 2 tv series on at present called The rise the nazis. Monday 9 pm with comments about the stifling of democracy debated by current commentators. The first of 4 was last Monday.

EllanVannin Wed 11-Sep-19 13:26:25

I find it quite disturbing that these so-called educated Etonians such as BJ can't act on their own initiative and always or invariably need others to make up their minds for them.
When can we have a leader who uses their own initiative and above all commonsense without reliance from others. It defeats the whole object of leadership and being confident in making your own decisions. It's FALSE !!

M0nica Wed 11-Sep-19 14:22:30

I disagree Ellen, good leaders always take advice before reaching their conclusions. A Prime Minister has to make decisions on so many subjects he cannot possibly be an expert on all. Having said that. I would expect a PM to have a panel of advisors, with diverse experience to be advising him, not be utterly dependent on one Svengali. Currently the question that must arise is: who exactly is the PM, Boris Johnson, or Dominic Cummings.

silverlining, highlights a comparison that I think many are making. I have been comparing him with the behaviour of Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela. He is shutting down democracy, sacking members of his own party who do not agree with him, closing down Parliament to stop it meeting and opposing his, and it is very much, his, measures.

Nonnie Wed 11-Sep-19 16:21:26

silverlining48 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:25:18 saw the first one and will see the second too, excellent parallel

I think you are probably right MOnica, not that I am a leader of anything! DH and I always discuss anything important before making decisions and often our AC ask for our opinion too.

I suppose BJ relies on DC because it worked in 2016 so he has complete faith in him. I hope it turns round and hits him hard! That is about the nastiest thing I have said in a long time!