Gransnet forums

News & politics

The yellowhammer documents

(349 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:47:09

t.co/z0rgHFhcWc?amp=1

MaizieD Fri 13-Sep-19 22:42:09

I'm sure that the President of the port of Calais trumps an army of British civil servants any day, petra. grin

Though i'm not sure how you know that no-one involved in writing the report had contacted him. What was released to the public was a very truncated version hmm

petra Fri 13-Sep-19 22:32:06

I prefer to believe the President of Port Boulogne Calais.
In his words: c'est la bullshit.
Plus the fact that nobody involved in the writing of this report had contacted Calais Port officials as to what/ is happening on their side.

lemongrove Fri 13-Sep-19 21:53:00

The country ( or social media) certainly has gone mad,
Nobody will ever wait and see anything GrannyLaine they just ratchet the hysteria up and up.

Jabberwok Fri 13-Sep-19 21:35:47

How on earth can a man aged about 50 know the first thing about food rationing in and after WW2?!!! My son is 55 and was born in 1964, just about 9 years after rationing finally ended! He certainly and obviously doesn't remember it! I just remember sweet rationing as it was one of the last things to go in 1953 , but nothing else and I was born in 1943!

GillT57 Fri 13-Sep-19 21:05:07

I just don't know what kind of collective madness has happened to this country. I do not want to be worse off than I am now.

growstuff Fri 13-Sep-19 20:55:57

Not all of us.

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 20:49:01

Absolutely growstuff

None at all.

Has this country gone completely mad?

growstuff Fri 13-Sep-19 20:44:47

I should have explained myself better. I would rather not be in a position to have to wait and see about anything. I'd rather know that I can go to the supermarket and they'll have the same stuff on sale as they do now and know that that my medications will be there when I pick up my repeat prescription. The suspense isn't really the kind of thrill I appreciate. If there were really some benefit to this lemmings-like act, I could accept it, but there really isn't.

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 20:38:15

Might be about to do growstuff unless we all come to our senses.

growstuff Fri 13-Sep-19 20:17:37

Personally, I'd rather not have to wait and see. I'd like to carry on as we are because there doesn't seem to be any benefit from what the country is about to do.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Sep-19 20:02:46

Thank you GillT57, I think you did misinterpret my comments. I was trying to balance some of the more exaggerated posts. It is a known truth that generally, the wartime diet benefitted the health of the nation but we are far, far from that situation. I would prefer to just wait and see.

GillT57 Fri 13-Sep-19 19:53:23

There cannot be anyone alive now who was a housewife during the war, who had to make meals out of next ti nothing. My uncle, who saw service in Italy, just died aged 97. People who have happy memories if that time were happy because they were children and sheltered from the worst so could everyone, including politicians, please stop comparing the present potential social and economic disaster, which is unnecessary, to the war

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 19:50:35

How many people would have voted leave in 2016 if they'd been told that the aftermath of brexit would be just like WW2"?

MaizieD Fri 13-Sep-19 19:43:45

a local man, aged about 50 - "We managed during the War, we can manage now".

He wasn't even there!!!

I could give him 20 years and I wasn't there, either...

GillT57 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:48:55

*grannylaine if I misinterpreted your post I apologise. I thought you were extolling the wonders of wartime diet as others have.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Sep-19 18:18:15

Thank you Gonegirl.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Sep-19 18:16:56

What a very strange and rude response GillT57. Where on earth did that come from? I'm not given to overreaction and no one knows yet what the end result may be. Indoctrinated??
I voted remain by the way.

Fennel Fri 13-Sep-19 18:16:03

Jabberwock @ 16.49 -
This is exactly what I was told recently by a local man, aged about 50 - "We managed during the War, we can manage now".
This is in S. Tyneside , a traditional LP area.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 18:12:11

My bread and lard with sugar on it in the fifties was lovely.

lemongrove Fri 13-Sep-19 18:10:13

Really? Where are you off to then?

GillT57 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:09:02

Whatever. I am not prepared to return to a 1950s standard of living just to satisfy the ideology of a few deluded brexiteers who think that Johnson and Farage and other tax dodging spivs actually give a fig about them.

lemongrove Fri 13-Sep-19 18:05:15

....and many nasty Remainers run to tell tales when Brexiteers tell the truth. wink

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 18:03:57

I agree with what GrannyLaine says.

GillT57 Fri 13-Sep-19 17:58:17

Oh for goodness sake grannylaine stop all this wartime nonsense and all this 'everyone is fat so it will do them good". Do you honestly believe what you are saying, are you so indoctrinated that you think it is worth the distress and worry? Can I assume that you will stand aside and let others have your fresh fruit and veg, forego your statins/BP medication/metformin in order to support the Brexit cause because a 'few bumps in the road ' are worth it? I could say more and far worse but I do not wish to be reported to gnhq as experience has shown me that many brexiteers run to tell tales when the nasty remainers tell the truth.

MaizieD Fri 13-Sep-19 17:35:21

You know what? I don't think that the generations younger than us are going to be quite so tolerant of straitened circumstances as we were.

We were brought up with it; they could just be pitchforked in for no particularly good reason...