Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop ignoring the 50 million

(77 Posts)
varian Fri 13-Sep-19 14:19:19

The current population of the United Kingdom is 67,601,153 as of Thursday, September 12, 2019, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

Ever since the fraudulent referendum of 2016 the only British people who seem to count in deciding the future of our country are the 17.4 million who voted to leave the EU. Politicians and commentators all seem to be bound by this "we respect the 17.4 million leave voters" mantra.

Over 1 million leave voters have since died and many have realised they were fooled and have changed their minds. Why should the entire population be blighted by this brexit nonsense for the rest of their lives?

Enough is enough. We have put up with this for far too long. It has cost us dear, in £billions of our money, and in the damage to social cohesion, our security and our standing in the world. It is time for the other 50+ million Britons to be given some consideration.

Smileless2012 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:30:37

Not again varian!!

How do you know "over 1 million leave voters have died"? Did they have 'I voted leave' running through them like a stick of rock?

The only way we know how someone voted is if they tell us.

Nico97 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:34:16

For goodness sake give it a rest !

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 14:35:08

Many of the 50 million are under age. Those that voted in the referendum who could have voted and didn't had a choice and decided not to exercise it, so in my view do not count, then there are all the children, foreign nationals etc etc.

You do not help your cause, which I am broadly in sympathy with, if you bring up specious arguments like this

grannysyb Fri 13-Sep-19 14:41:51

I voted remain,but DH, his DD,her husband and both my DD and her husband plus my DS all voted leave . It was NOT only older people who voted leave, this is a myth. By the way they are all professional people.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:44:26

I will repeat yet again....Husband, myself all 5 AC and partners voted leave, they are professionals, with degrees .......and we are still alive!!

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 14:44:55

This is not a specious argument. How long do the 50 million have to wait until our opinions can start to count?

Until all 17.4 million have died or changed their minds?

How much more damage would be done by then?

The information now available tells us much that no-one knew in 2016, no matter which way they voted. It is time we were all asked if we are willing to just let this disaster happen. Brexit still could and should be stopped.

Jaycee5 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:51:35

Just as well no remain voters have died.
The distinctions (which are based on polling, not hard data) are exaggerated.
Even the dimmest Remain voted now thinks that they have been declared a genius and more knowledgeable than the cleverest Leave voter. It gets tired.
There are several people who voted Leave because they have worked for the EU and were disgusted by the amount, cost and ineffeciency of the bureaucracy.
There are good reasons to remain and good reasons to stay. There are also very dubious reasons to remain or to stay. We can't go back and rehash all the arguments again. People are not going to be bullied into changing their minds and people are not going to get what they want by stamping their rhetorical feet on facebook.

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 14:51:41

Karen tried to get information during the EU referendum but struggled to find positive reason to stay in the EU. As a result she was on the fence but plumped for leave as it seemed more positive a choice.

She started to change her mind when article 50 was triggered with no plan and now she is a passionate #RemainerNow who hates it when brexiteers include her in the 17.4m.

Do listen to her telling her story.

podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/27-karen-insufficient-information-but-17-4m-no-more/id1439335625?i=1000449622393

Beckett Fri 13-Sep-19 14:57:00

How do you know that 50 million would all have voted to remain? Unless voting is made compulsory we will not know the views of those who choose not to vote.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Sep-19 15:01:39

Over 1 million leave voters have since died. Probably of boredom.

Keeper1 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:06:08

Had the referendum vote gone the other way and remain had won by the same margin and the leave voters were calling for a second referendum would they be keen to agree to one.

I vote to remain, the rest of my family voted leave young and old oh and they are all still alive.

Anniebach Fri 13-Sep-19 15:06:17

so many people didn’t vote, their choice. And how on earth
can it be said over 1 million leave voters have died ? were they
tattooed?

Smileless2012 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:09:36

Who are these brexiteers who include her specifically in the 17.4m? How does anyone apart from whom she's told how she voted know?

Mr. S. declared his intention to vote remain as soon as the referendum was announced and he did so. If there's to be a second referendum he said he'll vote leave.

He's included in the 16 plus m. who voted remain because of the way he voted. Karen's included in the 17.4m. who voted leave because that was how she voted.

As a fence sitter, with no clear idea which way to vote maybe she shouldn't have voted at all.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 15:10:46

I sympathise. Fully. But what to do about it?

No one is going to listen now.

Unless we do get a general election in time.

sharon103 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:13:55

Oh gawd. I went on the 'Boris is a nutter' thread the other day. Avoid at all costs. you'll be winning a losing battle.
When are some people going to accept that the outcome is leave. Anybody would think it's the end of the world.
I'll be glad when its all over.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Sep-19 15:15:55

It's been 1176 days since the referendum and the subject has been discussed, from every angle and viewpoint, every single day since. How depressing is it that wild, unsubstantiated claims/facts/statistics are still being hauled out by either/both sides.

sharon103 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:16:38

I agree Annie and keeperl.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 15:17:54

Maybe if people had known all that we know now, at the time of the referendum, things would have been different.

Seems the ideal time to have a second vote.

quizqueen Fri 13-Sep-19 15:29:03

In 10-15 years time when the EU has probably collapsed without our billions in fees ( for so called Free Trade!!) to waste, hardly anyone will remember the UK's wilderness years from 1973-2019,

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 15:29:51

Lots of people say "I'll be glad when its all over."

When do you think that might be?

I heard a brexit MEP saying 30 years but I think JRM said 50 years.

It could be over this year if we just Revoke Article 50.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:39:17

varion KBO? with you all the way

Dinahmo Fri 13-Sep-19 15:42:39

Can someone please tell me why all those people who read the right wing press believe what they are told. The press barons want us to leave the EU because the EU is bringing in new tax laws w.e.f 1 January which will hit them badly. The press barons operate through off shore companies and therefore don't pay as much tax as UK based companies.

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 15:42:59

I do despair on people's understanding of survey results.

The fact that the majority of a group, for example, older people vote to leave, is not invalidated by the equally strong fact that some of those voting to leave were, despite being old, very well educated, working in high tech jobs in the south of England.

Similarly, that some younger well educated people voted leave does not invalidate the fact that most people in that demographic group voted to remain.

As for those who have died, they too are from all age groups and for all you know all the older ones who have died may all have voted remain.

In fact, that may well be true because people in the extremely old demographic (over 80) were more likely to vote remain than leave because they lived through WW2 and are thank the EU for the contribution it has made to the 75 years of peace that have followed the War. blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2019/04/05/britains-wartime-generation-are-almost-as-pro-eu-as-millennials/

growstuff Fri 13-Sep-19 15:56:40

Thank you for that MOnica. I actually talked to a few hundred people during the run up to the election which followed the referendum.

I can confirm that many of those who lived through WW2 voted remain. I remember one very elderly lady bursting into tears and telling me how many of her family had died and she never wanted her family to go through what she had. She was so grateful for the many decades of peace.

Every single survey I have seen has shown that the majority of people under 45 voted remain. The majority of people over 45 voted leave - and they were more likely to have voted. The graphs all show the same trend and they confirm the impression I had from talking to people.

Of course, many over 45s voted remain and vice versa. People tend to die when they are elderly, so statistically it is likely that a relatively high percentage of those who have died voted leave, but not all.

Approximately 1 million people a year die and approximately the same number are born/reach 18. I can't confirm it without a referendum, but it is highly likely that the balance has shifted towards remain, independently of people who have simply changed their mind.