Gransnet forums

News & politics

Slow cooker

(8 Posts)
Berkshirebeth Sat 14-Sep-19 10:27:13

Hello, I’m new to gransnet (but not a new gran). My grandchildren love Chinese food and I was wondering if anybody has used the normal supermarket stir fry packet sauces for example oyster or black bean in a slow cooker? I have searched the internet and can’t find any answers. I hope you can help because I really don’t want to buy a wok!

Beckett Sat 14-Sep-19 10:50:59

Welcome Berkshirebeth - I haven't used stir fry packet sauces in a slow cooker but I have used other ready made sauces with success.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Sep-19 11:00:23

Hello,
I have made Chinese style food in a very large wide frying pan just as successfully as in my wok. I think a slow cooker - because it is “slow cooking” would make the vegetables unpleasantly soggy - not sure how it would work for meat though.
I cook vegetarian Chinese dishes only.

MaizieD Sat 14-Sep-19 11:03:38

You might get more replies if you were to post this in the Food forum, *Berkshirebeth

www.gransnet.com/forums/food

Missfoodlove Sat 14-Sep-19 11:07:15

The idea of a stir fry is that it’s quick so the vegetables remain ‘al dente’
In a slow cooker you would end up with sweet gloop.
A good frying pan will suffice instead of a wok.
Try making your own stir fry sauces with chilli, garlic, lemon, honey, ginger and soy.
Fry the meat and onion first, then add the veg, fry for 3/4 minutes then stir in the sauce.
Sesame oil gives a great chinese flavour.
The packet ones are very sweet.
A slow cooker however will make outstanding spare ribs.
Fry first to seal now add them to the slow cooker with a jar of spare rib sauce or make your own.
Always add a star anise for an authentic flavour.
5/6 hours should do it.

Berkshirebeth Sat 14-Sep-19 11:08:02

Thank you so much.

Carillion01 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:12:04

Hello and welcome Berkshirebeth,
I'd echo what NotSpaghetti has said. I'm sure the slow cooker would make meat or vegetables very soft and end up definitely not the texture of a stir fry as you'd expect it to be.

I think the stir fry packet sauces especially need to be cooked very hot, fast and furious! ??
I've used the black bean ones in a big, heavy saucepan and the result was fine.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Sep-19 11:13:59

The spare ribs idea in the slow cooker does sound good though.