Gransnet forums

News & politics

MEPs vote on Brexit extension appeal

(77 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 13:19:53

I don't have source for this other than this tweet:

Chris Davies MEP

@ChrisDaviesLD
European Parliament has just voted 544-126 in support of UK being given an article 50 extension should the request be made. #StopBrexit

11:11 - 18 Sep 2019

but assume it's correct. Interesting because I did wonder whether they would agree to such a short extension..

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 10:45:16

Urmstongran why haven't you read mu post? I cited the official number eligible to vote.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 10:45:27

my, not 'mu'

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 10:48:48

Isn't it a maxim in the law that silence gives consent? Presumably the missing voters were perfectly happy with the status quo.

Incidentally, Ug, varian's figure of 50 million doesn't include a great proportion of them (that) were/are under 18y

Try looking up the current population of the UK. At the moment you are just displaying a sad degree of ignorance...

janipat Thu 19-Sep-19 10:53:08

MaizieD, that was the point in my post, the assumption that absent voters were happy with the status quo. Is it really a maxim in law?

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 11:06:09

I remembered it from years ago. Just looked it up; it's questionable in some cases but generally applies, I think.

But I did say 'Isn't it...', rather than 'It is..' grin

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 12:45:11

Ah well, in my ‘sad degree of ignorance’ I’m just happy that I’m one on the side of Brexit - which is, at the end of the day, what all these threads are about.

It’s coming.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 12:47:32

Oh, I know, Ug. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

SirChenjin Thu 19-Sep-19 12:53:48

What's coming exactly, Urm? Can you share the details with us, or does your blissful ignorance only extend so far?

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 13:21:48

Haven't you seen those adverts, SirChenjin? "Prepare to leave the EU on 31st October"

I'm sure I read a Sci-Fi story once which started up with a series of inexplicable adverts being posted all over the place. It probably ended badly...

lemongrove Thu 19-Sep-19 14:06:30

The usual rude replies by the usual suspects I see.

At least Urmstongran is unfailingly polite in her posts.smile

When exactly are posters going to stop with the ‘voters who couldn't be bothered to vote would have voted remain’ stuff?
After Brexit, next year, never?

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 14:09:03

Actually lemongrove, from Urmstongran's earlier post:

"what hyperbolic rot"

so not unfalingly polite?

lemongrove Thu 19-Sep-19 14:15:02

It’s not personal though.....and there lies the difference.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 14:24:18

Thank you lemongrove for illustrating the distinction.
Much appreciated!
?
I do always try to be polite and play the ball, not the man.

Baggs Thu 19-Sep-19 14:55:17

In a democracy one vote is equal to any another vote. A lack of a vote (not bothering to vote even though you could) counts as nothing. It could mean anything in the range from silence as consent to the status quo to silence being utterly pissed off by the status quo, but in the end that doesn't matter because not voting is opting out and the silence means what you think, so far as the vote goes, counts for nothing, absolutely nothing.

Which is as it should be.

Jabberwok Thu 19-Sep-19 15:14:33

All this ridiculous twisting of the result! Would you remainers have hibeen so happy to call foul had the result been the other way round?!! No, I thought not!!

Jabberwok Thu 19-Sep-19 15:15:08

'have been'

SirChenjin Thu 19-Sep-19 15:36:04

Would the Leavers be so happy to accept the result if 52% had voted to Remain and then subsequent opinion polls had showed that the majority wanted to Leave?

No, I thought not!

Nice attempt at deflection there Urm and lemon - I suppose it's easier than answering the 'what's coming, exactly' question with anything other than <vague wave of hand> Brexit

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 15:39:44

It’s just that it’s getting near now. Understandably some people are anxious. Worried even. Others are pragmatic ‘que sera’. Some are happy.

This day was always coming - after A50 got triggered by Parliament.

SirChenjin Thu 19-Sep-19 15:55:21

It (whatever it is) wasn't always coming - if you remember, it was an advisory vote.

Now that it's becoming clearer that 'it' is a disaster in the making it's really time to take a step back and leave the posturing and politics to one side.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 16:01:27

I suspect that the only thing that will be coming on 31st October will be an extension... then a general election. That'll be fun...

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 16:10:29

Advisory - yes

Did the public know that when we voted (well apart from GN’s on the ball) - no

Did MP’s (knowing, presumably that it was advisory) press the ‘pause’ button for further discussion on the shock result - no

Is it our fault - no

My ballot paper just said stay/leave!

It didn’t mention how/when.

SirChenjin Thu 19-Sep-19 16:22:31

Exactly - which is why we should have another vote now that we do know (which is kind of what 'advisory' means). Unfortunately we now have the lunatics running the asylum, so that (sensible) approach isn't likely to be taken unless it can be forced through is some other way.

ayse Thu 19-Sep-19 16:24:37

The EU are well aware of the political turmoil in the UK and it is in their interest to give an extension but I have to say I’m a little surprised but relieved they seem to have made that decision.

It seems to me that MPs are being kept out of parliament to prevent a no confidence vote. Personally I would like a government of national unity to ensure either a deal or remain. I’ve reached a point where either of these would be preferable to crashing out!

We are a global laughing stock and need to get our act together.

I voted remain and that will always be my preference but the time has come to agree on something. It’s now no longer a question of who is right but more about getting this country out of the mess that’s been created by the whole referendum debacle

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 17:26:03

Any kind of brexit will entail the country getting into a much worse mess. The only way to avoid that is to stop brexit.

Perhaps a government of national unity could achieve that, but if it doesn't happen, and we are faced with a GE before it is resolved, the best way to get the country out of this mess is to vote Liberal Democrat.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 19-Sep-19 17:43:13

First I am a little surprised that the extension they are going to give us is only 3 months, thought they might go for a year so we can sort ourselves out.

Urm, I would just like to know how YOUR life will change by us leaving the EU that make you want it so badly.