Gransnet forums

News & politics

The BBC

(93 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 08:56:25

I am a firm believer in the BBC as it was first set up to be an independent institution, but am alarmed at the way it is so often becoming the “news” rather than the messenger.

Today a very controversial interviewer is retiring. John Humphreys, who has been criticised so frequently for his apparent biased.
Yesterday Laura Kuenssberg set social media alive with criticism.

My argument is this. We need a world class broadcasting media. One which in the past is just that, but undoubtedly has lost its way over recent years. It has become dangerously close to losing its independence in many of its broadcasts, and in my view if it continues we will lose the once outstanding, quality and proudly independent broadcaster, for which we all pay and have a stake in.

Septimia Thu 19-Sep-19 09:07:53

It's not often that I agree with you Whitewavemark, but I do in this case. The BBC should be independent and, as far as it can be, unbiased. It should broadcast facts and report on the opinions of people, as facts. We all need to know the truth insofar as it is known and not reporters opinions or 'fake news'.

Laura Kuenssberg often annoys me with her biased reporting, not merely because I might not agree with her but because it isn't facts.

Septimia Thu 19-Sep-19 09:08:49

reporters', missed the apostrophe!

Griselda Thu 19-Sep-19 10:01:18

I've been worried about the BBC lately for a different reason. I lived for a while in France and still try to read a French newspaper every day. I've been surprised at the lack of reporting on the BBCof their 'Gilet Jaunes' protests which have been going on for many weeks. I know that numbers of people have been injured by the French police who tend to be more heavy-handed than the British ones and yet the BBC rarely mention what is going on every weekend.

Castafiore Thu 19-Sep-19 10:02:15

I agree. Cameron stuffed the BBC with Tories, and it seems to recruit exclusively from the independent school sector. Many of its journalists and editorswere formerly employed by the right-wing tabloid press (e.g. Kuenssberg, Sarah Sands, the editor of Today). The demonisation of Corbyn is seriously worrying - his political policies (which would be regarded in most European countries as unremarkably social-democratic) should quite rightly be up for debate but the BBC prefers to cast him as an 'extremist', allowing smears about him to circulate unchallenged. This is surely not journalism and it's certainly not impartiality.

Hazelgran1 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:16:19

Unless there is something I missed - why on earth would a distressed parent be described by his political leanings? If I had seen a Prime minister on the wards any of the times my loved ones have been in hospital - I would have wanted my concerns heard too. Would I have been "called out" on my political background? Raging green granny? The reporting was not balanced - it was biased. I hope the baby of the anguished parent is doing ok.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:17:54

Kuenssberg has also given the media his contact address.

It really is too bad.

Camelotclub Thu 19-Sep-19 10:18:06

Have you noticed how nobody, individual or group, goes on that awful One Show without something to plug?

I remember the days of Parky where top notch guests would go on just to chat, not to plug their latest film.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:24:32

Richard Corbett
@RCorbettMEP

There were many British MEPs speaking in this European parliamentary debate, but the BBC only quotes one of them. No prizes for guessing that it's Nigel Farage!

Theprince2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:26:54

Have to disagree with you Castafiore.

In my view, the BBC is run by left-wing-ers! Very pro-Corbyn etc.

Sussexborn Thu 19-Sep-19 10:30:19

At one time the news was watched once, possibly twice a day. Now it is coming at us 24/7 whether we like it or not!

It’s a bit like the Bible. A hundred different interpretations of the same words. People hear what they want ( or don’t want) to hear.

nanamac77 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:33:14

Hear hear, Theprince2. And it's painfully pitifully politically correct to the point of idiocy.

On a lighter note, but on similar - and very politically INcorrect theme- , is there anyone out there like me who is getting irked by the plethora of high pitched screeching from some of the female presenters?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:34:30

I think to underpin your case theprince and sussex it would be useful to look at the evidence.

Annecan Thu 19-Sep-19 10:50:37

Theprince2
Totally agree with you
BBC is completely left wing London centric
Very biaised and needs to be subscription based rather than paid for by licence money
It is smug and patronising (especially radio 4)

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:51:53

But you see until you can provide evidence your argument is empty

Sussexborn Thu 19-Sep-19 10:55:28

I am sure that if you look at any TV guide it will tell you how often the news is on. When you switch on your iPad or laptop you will also be informed of the latest celeb carryings on no matter how often the settings are changed - they keep bouncing back.

Went to a RC junior school and sat out of RK at senior school so didn’t study the Bible so WWM2 it may be possible that I am in the wrong and all bible readers reach the same conclusion! Who knew?

Stella14 Thu 19-Sep-19 11:01:36

The BBC is, of course run by ‘establishment’ (aka Tory) figures, so it is inevitably right wing. My daughter worked as a Producer for BBC morning news some years ago. She had to tilt stories the way the management (the establishment) liked or they wouldn’t be aired! It has got considerably worse since then. Anyone who believes that Laura Kuenssberg is a Tory who is not even attempting to be neutral, really isn’t paying attention. Many of her comments speak for themselves. Given that she is the BBC’s Political Correspondent. How on earth do you see the BBC as left wing? confused

mrneduc Thu 19-Sep-19 11:08:53

I Agree. The BBC has moved to the left. I never listen or watch its news coverage or programmes I used to love such as QT. It’s coverage of Israel for example is biased, inaccurate and one sided. I object to paying a fee for the rubbish it spews out. It doesn’t have a good word to say about the current US admin either. Everything is viewed through a pc lens. I’m not a fan of extremist views in either nation mentioned but there is no fairness in BBC reporting

Annaram1 Thu 19-Sep-19 11:17:36

I watch the BBC news, ITV, and RT and Aljazeera in order to see more of what is going on in the world. RT and Aljazeera have good coverage of the French yellow vest protests, and also Israeli news, US news, Hong Kong etc. Its not just Russian or Arab propaganda, as some like to think. They often have interesting documentaries too, sometimes about pollution and other matters, not just in Britain.

Margs Thu 19-Sep-19 11:39:27

As a WASPI I'm appalled at the way the BBC could cover the French protests over the changes to their State Pension but ne'er a whisper about 1950's women being hung out to dry (and told to "get an apprenticeship!").

So - which of the 'suits' at the Beeb is bowing to the will of the current government and following orders to ignore us?

OK, rant over....

icanhandthemback Thu 19-Sep-19 11:46:53

Well, this is an interesting topic! I find myself shouting at the tv sometimes about how left wing it is and the bias towards remain. I suspect that others watch the same thing and perceive it entirely differently because we all tend to latch on to things that coincide with our belief system.
As for the father regarding the NHS, I think if you describe yourself as a Labour Activist, post about it on Social Media, then you shouldn't be surprised if that is publicised by a journalist. I don't see it as bias at all. Social Media which is not locked down to friends only is fair game and as an activist, it is probably what you want because their is more publicity. I would have liked to know Boris's interpretation of "no press here." Did he mean that he hadn't invited them? confused

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 11:50:23

ican. Re Johns remark about no press.

Look at the No 10 crib drawn up before the visit.

It was carried out with the full intention of a pre-election visit and the visit was recorded to be put out to the public.

Johnson lies lies lies

Nanny27 Thu 19-Sep-19 11:56:01

I agree that Laura Kuenssberg is just about the most biased Westminster correspondent I've known. In the studio, the snide little asides and smirks by Tom Bradbury are shocking.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 19-Sep-19 12:45:54

Why doesn't the BBC do what they are paid to do which spelled out says PRESENT.
Keep it at that which is far from what we are now getting which quite clearly ends in and seems the norm these days as a 'free for all' for the self opinionated.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 12:47:56

Isn't Tom Bradby ITV?