Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate Change Demonstrations

(349 Posts)
varian Fri 20-Sep-19 19:53:44

Millions of people, mostly young people all over the world, demonstrated their concern for climate change which is threatening our planet and their futures.

I am proud that one of my children and one of my grandchildren were amongst the protestors.

Pantglas2 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:25:00

Thank you for you kind words Anja - they’ve been said before. I do try to get people’s names right and encourage my grandchildren to be mindful of their responsibilities especially now that they are working. It’s about not letting their colleagues down unless death, disease or disaster strike.

Protesting is a self indulgent exercise when you leave the workplace short handed in the emergency services and schools - which is where they work. That is not to say that they are unmindful of environmentalism but their abilities to prioritise are paramount and that’s what makes me proud.

eazybee Sat 21-Sep-19 08:26:44

I am so pleased that none of my family wasted the time of their employers or educationalists by taking part in the demonstration.
I would be far more convinced of the strength of their commitment if these people demonstrated in their own time, and did something constructive (clearing litter for a start; no teenagers ever appear for litter pick sessions in our village) or cycled or walked instead of having to be driven everywhere; that applies particularly to the adults.

Oopsminty Sat 21-Sep-19 08:27:40

Why would anyone feel threatened by you, ww2?

silverlining48 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:30:31

I know many of the protests in this area were after school finished and as to emergency services being left short handed that would have been pre arranged and shifts covered.

Oopsminty Sat 21-Sep-19 08:32:05

Isn't the whole point of these strikes to take the children out of school, silverlining?

sodapop Sat 21-Sep-19 08:32:56

Grannygravy there are many people who work at weekends. Not everyone has a Mon to Friday job.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:34:17

oops because I’m really scary ???

Those objecting to the demonstrations are wrong. They are on the wrong side of science and history.

Nature is in crises, we are in existential danger of a mass extinction of species of both flora and fauna.

And you say we shouldn’t demonstrate?

What would you suggest happens?

Jane10 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:36:36

What exactly is the hoped for outcome? What concrete aim is there?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:39:21

Blimey where shall I start.

You don’t really want a lecture do you jane?

I can if you wish, but my boiled egg awaits me.

Anja Sat 21-Sep-19 08:47:10

Pants I see we will never agree. The serf mentality is hard to break.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:48:59

anja ?

Jane10 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:51:01

Yes. I want to know for example the top 5 things we, as individuals, can do. I'm not just being arsy. I'm just not sure what relevance to everyday life and activities a general march like this actually has.

Jane10 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:52:29

If these people really wanted to help the environment what, as individuals, are they doing rather than just talking about?

Witzend Sat 21-Sep-19 09:00:55

While I do sincerely applaud all those who marched, the nasty cynic in me can't help wondering how many of them took a plastic water bottle along.

If anyone who went along can tell me they didn't see any, I will be only too xhappy to believe it.

Anja Sat 21-Sep-19 09:02:41

Jane no matter what you and I do this is a global issues and unless governments can be prodded, shamed or otherwise prodded into action then IMO we are indeed doomed.

Those placards which declare THERE IS NO PLANET B sum it up exactly. .

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:02:53

OK.

1. The most important thing by 100% is to tell those with the power to stop the destruction of the planet to get off their asses and do something.
So we urgently need the earths lungs to stop it being destroyed
Fossil fuels need banning.

We can’t as individuals do that, that is why these demonstrations are so important.

2. On a more local level you can join groups in your community trying to take action and help make your town more climate friendly. Have car free days. Encourage greater use of public transport. Car sharing etc

3. Eat more plants! Meat production is a huge contributor to climate change.

4. Walk more. Use your car less.

5. Get your electricity from renewables.

6. Avoid air travel if at all possible

7 save energy at home as far as possible.

8 Move to a green bank.

Anja Sat 21-Sep-19 09:03:58

Wizend do you mean a single use plastic bottle or one which can be used and refilled multiple times? And do you understand why I’m asking?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:04:47

Some people on here are muddling climate change and environmental erosion.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:06:49

There was a comment on one of the Australian TV stations along the lines of “how many of the students would be happy to sit in a classroom with no air conditioning, to not have the latest cellphone, to not have the latest trainers and must have clothes and walk or cycle to school instead of being driven in air conditioned cars by their parents”

I think something needs to be done worldwide, we do what we can but having family worldwide we will not stop flying.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Sep-19 09:08:54

All this protesting won't make a ha'porth of difference !

Pantglas2 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:11:44

Anja the first could be deemed a mistake but the second is deliberate and I wonder why you feel the need to do it?

If it makes you feel better to call anyone working in the emergency services, schools etc serfs I feel sorry for your mental state, not theirs. Without them, all our lives would be in immediate danger.

merlotgran Sat 21-Sep-19 09:23:50

They are raising awareness that's for sure but there are two kinds of awareness:

Those of us who are passionate recyclers, take only one modest holiday a year, use public transport whenever possible, grow our own veg and eat less meat etc., etc., We are doing their best to make a difference in our own way and most of us have always lived like that.

Then there are those who take the day off school or work, wave their placards, disrupt the working day and shout loudly about how we are the ones who must change. They will probably then eat a takeaway pizza and when they go home and the bins are collected, any recycling will have been done by their parents.

I think it's right that the young have a voice but they are not going to change the world by protesting alone. I'd like to see some evidence that they are practicing what they preach.

Jane10 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:30:52

Exactly merlotgran!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:34:58

merlot jane

As an individual it is very laudable but it will be as a drop in the ocean if we can’t get those in power to recognise that and legislate accordingly.

The young understand it, it is why they are demonstrating. How many of them have a vote? What else do you suggest they do?

It is time the elderly did as well, and support them in the fight for their future.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:42:15

Agreed, Whitewavemark, especially as we are largely responsible for the present situation. I do wish people would wake up!