Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thomas Cook

(137 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 23-Sep-19 09:04:38

The website set up to help holiday makers is actually really professional, informative and easy to use. Most people will be able to travel back home free of charge with only a few hours difference to their original return flight time.

Here: thomascook.caa.co.uk/

But what’s the plan for the 9000 workers who won't get paid next Monday?

Universal Credit?

Uber driver or Deliveroo?

Pantglas2 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:34:07

People have lost their jobs and all some folks think about is scoring points on Brexit? Have some decency please!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:35:58

pantglas Blimey if you think that us blaming Brexit is not right when people have lost their jobs you need to give your head a wobble.

If no deal happens, you ain’t seen nothing yet

glammanana Mon 23-Sep-19 10:40:26

Urmstongran I agree totally about the job losses what a tragic situation for so many people,my DD had wind of this 2 weeks ago when two of her former collegues gave up good paying jobs and went to work for TC in their entertainment team they had their contracts cancelled and where flew back to UK on 9th Sept along with other resort staff,why does every single thing to go wrong have to be caused by Brexit,can the fact it was mismanaged for such a long time be the fault ??? I bet the CEO's have plenty in the bank to get them over this and don't have to go down UC route.

Pantglas2 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:41:15

It’s the crowing about it and using someone else’s misery to make biased political points on this particular post that sticks in my craw. Decent people don’t crow, in my opinion, of course.

kittylester Mon 23-Sep-19 10:41:21

A friend's son and daughter in law are a pilot and cabin crew with Thomas Cook and one of my co-grannies is in Las Vegas where she meets her 'Canadian' sister periodically.

orly Mon 23-Sep-19 10:44:29

Thomas Cook has been in dire straits for ages for failing to move with the times and not developing its online platform which most other high companies have had to do in order to remain competitive - sad but true.

And as for the Blame Brexit bandwagon - isn't it more accurate to blame Brexit delays caused by Remoaners and insincere politicians who have tried and continue to try to block or overturn Brexit? If we'd left soon after the June 2016 result we would be past any hiccups by now.

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-Sep-19 10:45:14

"It comes down to bad management" ... this is apparently what the government is implying - but the statement from the company mentioned several things including Brexit. Not blaming Brexit entirely, just citing it as part of the problem.

Yes, I do feel hugely sorry for all the employees now out of work, as I do anyone made redundant. I was made redundant once and it was not at all nice.

Today I heard on the radio that the government will help with the repatriation bail out. I'm unhappy with this aspect - obviously we shouldn't leave people stranded abroad - but can we claim it back from somewhere? Not all passengers were ABTA protected.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:46:53

I am cross that greedy CEOs didn't curb their bonuses, and consolidate the viable parts of the business.

If they were/are worth their huge salaries, they should have seen the change in people's habits regarding buying holidays and the sort of holidays they now choose.

I also feel sorry for staff at the the resorts and the locals who rely on tourism to pay their bills.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:49:13

All package holidays will be ABTA/ATOL protected,those on flight only if paid for by Credit/Debit card should be able to get their money back through their card provider (see Martin Lewis's website for full details)

Kim19 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:49:44

I've been aware of TC's wobbly state for a while now thanks to the general press and have given it a miss accordingly. Don't know what my actions might have been as an employee.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 23-Sep-19 10:52:57

Whitewavemark2
Get into the real world .Look no further than high level of debt and the inability to cope with ONLINE rivals.

MaizieD Mon 23-Sep-19 10:55:22

It’s the crowing about it and using someone else’s misery to make biased political points on this particular post that sticks in my craw.

It's not crowing, Pantglas, it's fury.

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 10:59:47

Thomas Cook has been in trouble for about ten(?) years when it merged and took on a billion pound debt.

Pantglas2 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:07:20

Anyone losing their job has a right to vent fury, the rest are clearly using it for their own devices - in my opinion, of course.

Ellpammar19 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:15:52

If the younger generation are serious about climate change,
they will need to sacrifice flying as much.

annette18 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:16:58

Still wasting money last my sister on 21.45 to Dalaman checked in then put in airport hotel with 17.30 flight today.Board in hotel this morning telling them to go home

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:18:08

Thomas Cook passengers won't be out of pocket because from the EU Package Travel Directive (2015/2302/EU) protects European travellers for cancellation, repatriation and refunds. It's the kind of 'red tape' Johnson wants to get rid of. #ATOL

EllanVannin Mon 23-Sep-19 11:27:47

FGS, thousands have lost jobs and there are those " will we get our money back " whingers. You must have had it in the first place to enable you to pay for a holiday without using/losing the last few bob you have left. Cor ! Just wait !

Why didn't the lotto chip in with their millions ? Enough people play it to have joined forces if they're that desperate for a holiday. How much are the two rollovers this week ??

ALANaV Mon 23-Sep-19 11:29:12

In the UK taking some cash from my French Bank with the debit card ……..you would no believe what the UK bank changed the currency at …...so yes, currency has fallen ...but worse than that the EHIC may no longer be valid for travel to the EU which will mean an enormous hike in insurance ..the green card may no longer be valid and you will have to apply for an international driving permit …...not sure if you will need a Visa as no one (surprise surprise) has said ….anyone remember the 'good old days' when you were only allowed to take £50 out of the UK ….we went on a two week honeymoon with just £100 cash ….we survived !

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 11:31:53

It's not either/or. It's terrible that so many people have lost their jobs, but there are also those who have scrimped and saved for a holiday. Those who booked flights only won't get their money back.

I don't think much of your heartless post EllanVannin.

sunseeker Mon 23-Sep-19 11:40:16

There was a phone in on local radio this morning. One man stated he will lose £4,000. He booked his flights and accommodation independently. Flying out with one airline and back with Thomas Cook. As he has not yet left the country his travel insurance does not cover him for the cancelled flight and as he booked independently is not ATOL protected. Rebooking the return flight with another airline would be too expensive so he and his family will not be travelling.

gillybob Mon 23-Sep-19 11:43:32

Well I feel sad for my DS, DDiL and their 3 children who were looking forward to a much needed holiday at half term. I have been buying little bits n' bobs for them over the last few months little bikinis, shorts, Tee shirts and pretty dresses. All completely wasted . I feel sad that my DS and DDiL rarely ever get to spend holiday times together at all as they each only get 4 weeks leave per year and so almost always have to take them separately .

No chance of a holiday together now as it looks like it will take months to get refunds (that's assuming there will be refunds at all) and no money to pay for something else in the mean time. angry and sad

EllanVannin Mon 23-Sep-19 11:46:13

Watch airline prices rise now ! Easyjet shares have shot up !

gillybob Mon 23-Sep-19 11:48:51

My DS and DDiL have saved for this little holiday for many years EllenVannin plus myself and the other gran have helped out too. They didn't just pull the money from their savings ! Okay so they may get the money back eventually but now they have a very rare week off work together, no holiday and no money to book anything else.

crystaltipps Mon 23-Sep-19 11:50:48

I agree people can get over a lost holiday but if you aren’t going to get paid next week and have suddenly lost your job it’s far worse. Why are all the news broadcasts concentrating on people who aren’t going on holiday but will get their money back, but the staff who don’t know where their next mortgage payment is coming from hardly get a mention.