Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party - now's your time!

(104 Posts)
Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 14:54:59

Wonder how the next few hours and days will unfold, politically, given the court ruling regarding prorogation of parliament?

Online friends are all completely fed up with parliament's determination to stall Brexit. That's what this is about, after all.

Boris is likely to resign, as once MPs are back in the HOC, there will be a no confidence vote against him.

What of all the party conferences? Will they go ahead? I imagine Labour and Lib Dem MPs, are hot-footing it back to the HOC as I type. The keys to number 10 are likely to be passed on.

One can only hope there is a general election. Corbyn in the few days of the LP conference has made himself unelectable. The Conservative vote is likely to go to the Brexit party. Remainers are likely to vote Lib Dem.

Leavers are fired up. If there ever was a one issue party likely to succeed, the Brexit Party is it.

Richard Tice, interviewed shortly after the court verdict was announced knows that politically the time favours his party.

yggdrasil Thu 26-Sep-19 12:15:29

Day6: " Corbyn in the few days of the LP conference has made himself unelectable."

Why would you say that? Were you there, or just depending on the Mail, Sun and BBC for information?

SirChenjin Thu 26-Sep-19 10:55:12

Exactly suzied - and that's why no-one who voted Leave knew what they were voting for, despite what they might claim. They may have had their individual reasons for leaving, but those myriad of individual reasons couldn't be translated into a workable deal because Leave was always a concept, not a workable reality (unless it was put to the people as it should have been) given that it was always advisory.

Now we have an utter shambles led by absolute idiots of the worst right wing kind who are intent on looking after their business interests and those of their chums. They've used inflammatory language to stir up hatred and bile and I am genuinely concerned that this will lead to civic unrest unless Boris and his cronies start working very quickly to undo some of the damage they have inflicted on democracy. I doubt they will though - that arrogance is part of their DNA and while many millions of pounds (or whatever currency best suits their interests on the day) are at stake they will look after themselves, come what may. Those 'bumps in the road' won't be felt by them and they genuinely don't care.

WishIwasyounger Thu 26-Sep-19 10:40:24

Jeremy Corbyn seems to want to steer a midway between Leavers and Remainers by negotiating a deal and then putting it to the people to choose between that deal and remain. It accepts that the vote was evenly split, and is the only way to bring people together. Whilst I agree with the intention, its a difficult message to sell on the doorstep in a GE.
To any Leavers out there who say that they knew what they were voting for, what was their solution to the Northern Ireland border problem?

WishIwasyounger Thu 26-Sep-19 10:40:23

Jeremy Corbyn seems to want to steer a midway between Leavers and Remainers by negotiating a deal and then putting it to the people to choose between that deal and remain. It accepts that the vote was evenly split, and is the only way to bring people together. Whilst I agree with the intention, its a difficult message to sell on the doorstep in a GE.
To any Leavers out there who say that they knew what they were voting for, what was their solution to the Northern Ireland border problem?

suzied Thu 26-Sep-19 10:15:02

Its such a mess because what was promised is undeliverable -
Some people wanted sovereignty
Some people wanted to get rid of foreigners
Some people wanted to get rid of foreign fish
Some people wanted to keep British plugs and lightbulbs
Some people wanted blue passports
Some people wanted a Norway style relationship as promised by Farage and Co
Some people hadn't a clue
Some people didn't know what the EU was
we could go on .... it may look simplistic to some on here but those who know anything know its incredibly complex and what we were promised is not what we are being dished up and many of us don't "just want to leave" we want to know exactly what we will be getting.

Jabberwok Thu 26-Sep-19 10:06:27

The country is already divided! The opposition benches have seen to that by relentlessly doing their best to destroy Brexit! The irony is that a good majority of MP's signed up for it, went into a GE on the back of delivering it and from that day to this have systematically moved heaven and earth to scupper it - why?!!

Jabberwok Thu 26-Sep-19 10:02:06

Excellent post Day6. Indeed picking and choosing votes on anything is a dangerous slippery slope to dictatorship. Comparing B.J to Hitler is frankly quite absurd! Being refused a G.E? Well that's another matter! Stalin anyone?!!

mcem Thu 26-Sep-19 09:29:53

Democracy dies when those in (temporary) power think they are above the law . Last night BJ did his utmost to divide the country.

Grandad1943 Thu 26-Sep-19 07:25:28

Day6, in regard to your post @23:24 on the 25/09/19 you again miss the whole essence of the Labour party policy on Brexit.

At the Annual Labour Movement Deligate Conference this week the existing policy was once again reaffirmed.

The policy is, that should the Labour Party win the forthcoming general election then its government would "attempt" to renegotiate parts of the withdrawal agreement. Whatever the outcome of those negotiations (successful or not) would be placed before the British electorate in a further referendum.

Therfore, in the above the electorate would have two opportunities to reject having that second referendum. In the first instance, they could refuse to elect a Labour government in the General Election knowing that a second referendum was part of its election policy.

However, should the Labour Party be elected to government the British people would then have the opportunity to confirm or reject the result of the 2016 referendum result in a further ballot.

In the above, all would have two opportunities to express their views on Britain's future relationship with the European Union while at the same time also express their views on the wider governance policies of Britain.

In short, Briain would elect a Labour government in the knowledge that having a second referendum was part of the onus of placing a cross in the box of a Labour candidate in that General Election.

In my view, nothing could be more democratic, and on being brought forward would bring healing to this nation in its application.

growstuff Thu 26-Sep-19 00:30:17

Why are you so frightened of a second referendum Day6?

growstuff Thu 26-Sep-19 00:29:33

After Johnson's disgusting performance in the HoC today, there's no hope that the country will come together. Anybody with an ounce of morality couldn't support what he said. Unfortunately, there are those who do support him. The Brexit Party sings from the same vile hymn sheet.

EnglishRose Thu 26-Sep-19 00:25:11

Day6. Well said indeed. Congratulations on your splendid post.

I’m on holiday. Iffy WiFi. Just managed to get on.

If your post doesn’t reach out to members’ basic common sense to take precedence amongst the turmoil on here, then there is little hope we will all come together in the future.

Keep the truth coming Day 6 !

Day6 Wed 25-Sep-19 23:24:30

But Grandad you are making the assumption that Labour's idea of a second referendum is what people want - "to review their Brexit vote". You make it sound like a good thing.

Labour wants a second referendum. Many people find the idea repugnant and insulting.

Back in 2017 this article appeared in the Independent.
www.independent.co.uk/voices/second-referendum-freedom-to-say-no-against-democracy-eu-a8106236.html

"I voted Leave to call the establishment’s bluff. To test that we are, indeed, a free and democratic country. To confirm that I was able to say no to the European Union. After all, as Salman Rushdie once wrote, the freedom to reject is the only freedom."

"We know that the majority of Brexiteers voted to retain and reinstate the UK as a sovereign state, whether it be for control over our laws or our borders. In fact most of the reasons why people voted to Leave, as cited in the the Lord Ashcroft polls at the time, were summarised in points that contained words like “decisions”, “control” and “choice”. People voted for the freedom to have the ability to say no."

"Despite this, the British people’s decision to put the EU behind us and to take responsibility for the future of our country is met by continuing doubt and harassment from those urging for a second referendum. Even the utterance of a second referendum insults the very concept of our precious democratic system, and its undermining should outrage us all. It is an open attack on our individual freedoms – to say no, and have the establishment take us seriously,"

This article was written two years ago when Remainers were demanding a second referendum. They still are. Two years ago and Remain MPs and the Labour Party are still telling us this is what should happen. Back then she wrote

The truth is, if certain MPs can’t have it their way and remain, they will attempt to make Brexit a messy conflict for the rest of us – and that is something we must not abide.

And it has happened.

It ends The dismemberment of democracy, triggered by the picking and choosing of election results, starts a dangerous precedent that will permit your own demise if your desires fall foul of the EU’s plans. You are endorsing, without sounding too dramatic, the dismantling of the very basis of our Western civilisation

Your decision lies before you: it is either democracy, the power of the people, or technocracy, control by a few.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 23:05:47

Such patronising arrogance Day6!

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Sep-19 22:17:17

Day6 in your post @20:31 today you quote text from a post of mine, followed by the words "Accept the first vote as most people have."

As I have stated many times on this forum that I am a leave voter who accepts the outcome of the referendum but feels that on leaving it is essential that Britain retains a free trade and customs agreement with the EU.

So Day6, please ensure you have the full facts before you make unfounded presumptions.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 21:47:53

zzzzzzzzz

Day6 Wed 25-Sep-19 21:42:40

This can only lead to the carousel argument about the results of the vote being based on lies

Au contraire, Ginny42

You assume that people (Leave voters ) were incapable of thinking for themselves, or doing any research.

How many Remain voters were taken in by Project Fear pronouncements from the top, which didn't come to pass, or listened to threats issued by then Chancellor George Osborne? More lies. More scaremongering.

A vote to leave the European Union would tip the UK into a year-long recession, with up to 820,000 jobs lost within two years..

We were told a Leave vote would cause an "immediate and profound" economic shock, with growth between 3% and 6% lower.

Treasury forecasts warned time and time again against a Leave vote, suggested sterling would fall by 12%, unemployment would rise by 520,000, average wages would fall by 2.8% and house prices would be hit by 10%.

What about those REMAINER lies? That analysis was unfair and biased in favour of a remain vote.

I'd say there were exaggerations on BOTH sides, which makes that particular "all lies" playing field a level one.

Not only that but the Remain campaign had an advantage before the vote as well. It had the advantage of having the government machine – and £9.3 million of public funds spent on clear campaign literature – on its side. If the referendum was unbalanced, the advantage was with Remain – and yet it still lost.

Ginny42 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:45:56

Day6 this can only lead to the carousel argument about the results of the vote being based on lies, led mostly by the now PM and friend Gove, devised by Cummings.

I will never accept the vote based on those lies and watching the Tories special brand of patronising arrogance in the House today, no one on GN even comes close.

Day6 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:31:57

voting Labour is the only way now to ensure that the British people gain a chance to review their Brexit vote by way of a second referendum

Such patronising arrogance.

Accept the first vote as most people have.

MamaCaz Wed 25-Sep-19 20:31:52

If they make such information public on a site like this, I see nothing wrong with people commenting on it!

jura2 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:31:40

Well Ursmstongran, no, actually. There are limits. I was always taught that freedom stops when it does affect others negatively. With rights and choices come responsibility.

The witches' appalling language came from the Tory side today- for one reason only- to hide from answering any questions.

Urmstongran Wed 25-Sep-19 20:27:47

Stop this nastiness. It’s embarrassing. Like witches around a cauldron ....
?‍♀️

Some people will always have more money than others and how they choose to spend their wealth is their concern.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:10:56

Puzzling

grapefruitpip Wed 25-Sep-19 19:06:17

How would you have that kind of money " spare" and why would you donate it to that person?

Mind boggling.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:02:25

I don’t know grapefruit she only boasted that she seems to have had the odd £50000 knocking about.