Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party - now's your time!

(103 Posts)
Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 14:54:59

Wonder how the next few hours and days will unfold, politically, given the court ruling regarding prorogation of parliament?

Online friends are all completely fed up with parliament's determination to stall Brexit. That's what this is about, after all.

Boris is likely to resign, as once MPs are back in the HOC, there will be a no confidence vote against him.

What of all the party conferences? Will they go ahead? I imagine Labour and Lib Dem MPs, are hot-footing it back to the HOC as I type. The keys to number 10 are likely to be passed on.

One can only hope there is a general election. Corbyn in the few days of the LP conference has made himself unelectable. The Conservative vote is likely to go to the Brexit party. Remainers are likely to vote Lib Dem.

Leavers are fired up. If there ever was a one issue party likely to succeed, the Brexit Party is it.

Richard Tice, interviewed shortly after the court verdict was announced knows that politically the time favours his party.

Urmstongran Tue 24-Sep-19 15:17:08

I used to be more energised about Brexit. I even started a ‘good news’ thread on it months ago where (the idea was)we could post uplifting news about progress.

I’m fed up of it all now. 3+ years of going round in circles. MP’s going rogue (the Remainers see it differently). Amendments in the HoC. Bercow being biased.

I’d like to think we can get out and as Boris says ‘get this done’. But I’m disillusioned right now. Even Revoke seems preferable to all this circus. Perhaps the buggers have just ground me down - their intention all along?

Gaunt47 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:29:03

Yes UG, the grinding down could be intentional - but I believe the procrastination to be just simple incompetence.
The 3 professions engaged in 'negotiations': bureaucrats, politicians and lawyers are unable to make decisions, they prefer having meetings and issuing statements.
I predicted at the time of the referendum that it would take at least 3 years before anything happened, and it seems as though I was being optimistic.

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:30:30

I have real fears about the standing, make-up and designs of the undemocratic EU and our (expensive) membership, and I am not alone.

I can understand your mood Urms but to revoke would be a huge mistake.

Most Leavers are fed up to the back teeth with our Remainer parliament not wanting to honour the result of the referendum. I think there will be support for Boris and his aims and given the Conservative Party will not ally with the Brexit Party, to unite the Brexit cause come the next election - which has to be on the cards now, one has to wonder which party will make up the next government?

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:32:55

The 3 professions engaged in 'negotiations': bureaucrats, politicians and lawyers are unable to make decisions, they prefer having meetings and issuing statements

Never a truer word, Gaunt.

Jabberwok Tue 24-Sep-19 15:50:23

When leave won the referendum,, I remember saying to DH that the EU will never let us go and that Parliament will never pass it through. DH was convinced that MP's would do as they promised! Sadly he now admits that I was right and he was wrong! I think the one thing we have all learned over the past three years, is that the only vote worth anything in any referendum is the one that is approved by the establishment, anything else is and will be ignored as the Irish and the Dutch learned when they attempted to make their voices heard. The Irish had to go again to get the ' right' result, and the Dutch were just ignored! Why on earth have a referendum about anything if in the end Parliament will decide anyway?!! Frankly I couldn't care less now whether we stay or go,I just wish someone could bring it to a conclusion! The thought of screeching MP's reconvening tomorrow! Please God No!!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:53:28

I’d like to se a coalition that does a deal then puts it to the country as deal or remain.

Then a GE

Iam64 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:53:36

Johnson won’t resign. Corbyn will call a vote of no confidence which will lead to an election. If the LP had been an effective opposition, had a leader who could lead instead of shout and dither, the LP should win the election. In the absence of Corbyn falling off his bike and being replaced by (almost anyone), we are in for five more dreadful years of conservatives wrecking public services.
By the way, what are the
O,Ickes of the Brexit Party ?

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 16:19:04

Come back and explain your last sentence Iam ?grin
I was thinking the other day, that Anniebach was the only
Poster on GN ( from the LP side) that first realised what a complete and utter chocolate teapot Corbyn was, and had the courage to say so......now most people say so.
Yes, you could be right, but isn’t that just what Johnson wants, a GE?

grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 16:35:09

not really, if you scroll back plenty of people said they dislike JC , although they didn't feel the need to say it hundreds of times.

Riverwalk Tue 24-Sep-19 16:35:48

Did you mean Lizards Iam ? grin

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 16:43:03

Nope grapefruit am talking years here! Possibly before your time on here.

grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 16:45:53

Oh gosh, lemon, so people were thinking he was great?

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 16:47:55

Some posters still think he’s great.

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 16:48:47

Most have seen sense though.

merlotgran Tue 24-Sep-19 16:51:28

I seem to remember there was a whole thread on 'Ooooooh, Jeremy Corbyn!'

Blame Glastonbury. grin

JenniferEccles Tue 24-Sep-19 16:58:06

I would like to agree with you Day6 I really would as the Brexit party may be the only one which 'does what it says on the tin', but to vote for them in a GE would just split the Tory vote, and there is no way Farage could win overall.

The result could be to let in the dreadful Lib Dems who seem to have overtaken Labour in recent polls.

Unfortunately as time goes on I am really doubting if we will ever leave as the PM seems to come up against one brick wall after another.

Ginny42 Tue 24-Sep-19 17:04:39

I am just listening to his speech in Brighton. Heart warming if you care about people and their health, as opposed to fat cats' wealth.

Some GN's may be interested to check what he's said about free personal care under a labour government.

nanaK54 Tue 24-Sep-19 17:31:11

Tis all a 'mucking fuddle' in my humble

Joelsnan Tue 24-Sep-19 17:33:50

Ginny42
They are saying anything to try and attract the voter. Just do a run through of what they have promised...the majority undeliverable, but it sounds good.

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 17:40:14

I’d like to se a coalition that does a deal then puts it to the country as deal or remain

BUT if the coalition deal is unacceptable to millions (as Theresa May's was) you are more or less saying Brussels/the EU has this either way. Take the deal (which will favour the EU, as May's did - and remember the EU has said there will be no more on offer ) or stay in the EU.

I think they call that Hobson's Choice ie: no choice at all. confused

crystaltipps Tue 24-Sep-19 17:40:15

Most politicians say “anything to attract the voter” joelsnan - Johnson and Farage certainly do,

NanKate Tue 24-Sep-19 17:40:24

I voted Leave, the country voted Leave and from then on the Remainers have done their level best to stop the will of the majority.

What if we had voted to Remain and then the Leavers tried to overturn the democratic decision, there would have been uproar.

The thought of JC as PM makes me feel sick with worry. He has never had the guts to categorically say whether he wants In or Out. I could never trust him.

What has happened to GB we are in turmoil?

Come on Boris don't let the b**** get you down.

grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 17:44:16

Come on Boris.....oh please.

jura2 Tue 24-Sep-19 17:48:13

So NanKate, you want to 'get back control, get back to our own Laws and own Democracy' - but not now???