Gransnet forums

News & politics

I was surprised today

(23 Posts)
ayse Mon 30-Sep-19 15:25:13

And I bet there will many more “surprises” down the road.

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 14:04:55

I imagine there will be many hidden changes - some minor, others significant. These are what the Tories are airily calling the ‘bumps in the road’

grannyactivist Mon 30-Sep-19 13:54:15

I've just read the government guidance on pet passports post-brexit and it does seem to be somewhat complicated. It's also got me wondering about other 'hidden' changes that will take place. hmm

growstuff Mon 30-Sep-19 13:25:44

Michael Gove stood up in the Commons three days ago and said the government was ready for no deal. He was his usual arrogant condescending self about it. Could it be that he and Steve Barclay don't talk because he couldn't possibly have been lying - could he?

growstuff Mon 30-Sep-19 13:18:50

It would appear that the government has admitted that it doesn't have time for plans, if it's only known at the end of October that there will be no deal. Barclay has written to Barnier, asking for mini-deals with countries such as France. Barnier has said very clearly that the EU has contingency plans for no deal and (very politely) told Barclay to sling his hook. Isn't this when the EU is supposed to say "Oh, we need more you than you need us. We'll do what you want!" It seems as though the EU didn't read the script.

I've seen a number of complaints on social media from businesses saying that, even at this late stage, they can't plan because they're not being given the information they need. Therefore, the ads on motorways are a waste of time, if people don't know what the future holds for them from an operational point of view.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 30-Sep-19 10:59:22

Yes I have seen quite a few adverts for leaving the EU. One for travellers, make sure you have the right paperwork, on the motorways and in the news paper.

I just think its a complete waste of money, we might not even leave for a good while or even not at all. Anyway what is the right paperwork for travellers to the EU, will we need visas?

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 10:29:11

Not sensible at all - given that no-one knows what ‘it’ is. Sensible is knowing what you’re dealing with and putting appropriate systems and processes in place - this is mere political posturing, making themselves look even more clueless in the process.

Urmstongran Mon 30-Sep-19 09:53:49

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst? Seems sensible really.

MaizieD Mon 30-Sep-19 09:47:35

They're going to look very silly if it doesn't happen.

Parsley3 Mon 30-Sep-19 09:38:43

Lots of adverts on radio LBC telling businesses to get ready for leaving on 31st October. No ifs or buts.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 30-Sep-19 09:30:40

Sorry posted early, they are stating that extra paperwork may be needed for freight from 1st November.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 30-Sep-19 09:29:25

M25 has messages on its gantries, as have the A127 and A13 here in Essex.

MawB Mon 30-Sep-19 09:22:12

Forward planning?
Driving up the M1 last week there were several overhead gantries advising freight operators to take extra measures.

M0nica Mon 30-Sep-19 09:17:42

Driving up and down the A1 several times this weekend the gantry signs were all reminding freight drivers (heading for Felixstowe) to make sure that they have the appropriate papers extra papers by the end of October.

varian Mon 30-Sep-19 08:54:24

Comparing Remaining in the EU with a no-deal brexit

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/09/29/the-cost-benefit-analysis-of-no-deal/

varian Wed 25-Sep-19 19:55:23

Paid for by our taxpayers money to add to the £billions that has already been wasted on this brexit no sense over the last three and a half years.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Sep-19 19:13:45

Many

grapefruitpip Wed 25-Sep-19 19:04:37

Are there adverts on TV or did I dream that?

BlueBelle Wed 25-Sep-19 19:00:49

Well it may be part of preparation riverwalk but preparation means getting ready for something not actually doing it

Riverwalk Wed 25-Sep-19 18:59:22

I had a browse on the Gov.uk website the other day - seems UK Pet Passports won't be valid in the EU - for some reason that surprised me, not that I'm affected!

Riverwalk Wed 25-Sep-19 18:53:09

I suppose it's all part of preparation - no use leaving it right until the last minute!

Gonegirl Wed 25-Sep-19 18:48:38

? That's just odd! We havent left yet.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Sep-19 18:35:56

This is not a thread to go to and from about remaining or leaving it’s very obvious that Gransnet like the country is divided It’s old ground we do not need to chew over any more but:-
I was very surprised to day to go to the Post Office and see a notice on the counter saying ‘If you are sending a parcel to a EU country you now need a customs declaration label’

I was not aware we had left yet ?