Will of the people
Romoaners
Unelected EU beaurocrats
Regain our sovereignty
People against parliament
Remain elites
Good old Boris ( or Nigel) is a man of the people
Everyone just wants us to "do brexif"
17.4 million have been ignored for the last three years.
Brexit by 31st October - do or die
Sunlit uplands
Clean break brexit

We should not tolerate these lies any longer. Repeating slogans is not intelligent debate and repeating lies does not make them true.

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 09:57:15

Yes, mucho faux outrage around these days.

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 09:58:50

This ‘next government’ thing is pretty silly since nobody knows which Party will be in control.

growstuff Fri 27-Sep-19 10:00:11

Errmm...no it doesn't lemongrove. It means years, if not decades of negotiating to replace what we're throwing away.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Sep-19 10:00:35

lemongrove I have watched it several times, Dominic Cummings stayed calm throughout.

I have also just watched again the female Labour Politicians who brought Jo Coxs name up in the debate, totally inflammatory in her use of language. Perhaps she should have remembered that the there are "commemorative shields" on the Conservative side of their murdered MPs, one blownnup entering the H of Cs car park by the IRA.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 10:03:41

Yes Lemongrove I agree by Remainers, my outrage is genuine that democracy is dead and 17.5 million leave voters have been betrayed, 5 million leave Labour voters have been betrayed by Chicken Corbyn frightened of a general election, I'm not surprised he's running scared Labour will be wiped out up North and in the Midlands if not by Boris by the Brexit Party.
Just loved Geoffrey Cox's speech re Corbyn "the turkeys can't put off Christmas forever" how true.

Amagran Fri 27-Sep-19 10:09:40

The OP asked "Why do we tolerate: (bad language)?"

So why do we tolerate inflammatory language, insults, slogans and poor quality discussion/debate?

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 10:12:23

Because it’s a free country Amagran

EllanVannin Fri 27-Sep-19 10:21:44

I couldn't give a damn about Leave voters---it's they who have caused/created all this mayhem over the past 3 years.

I will no longer recognise this country once we leave. The sheer selfishness of its MP's and voters who've ALL got what they want.

How can anyone throw humans out of a country that they've lived in all their lives and who call it home, be shunned ? A small example of this heartless society of greed and selfishness was on the news about a couple originally from the Netherlands where the wife was in hospital suffering from cancer and because she, like others who are targeted, are over 65 years of age, worked etc etc, never been involved in crime, have until 2020 to " fill out forms " for to remain here.

Don't get me onto the snakes that have slipped through the net !! No, these cowards at Westminster are only targeting the over 65's, ill, infirm and unable to withstand any kind of move.

As if Windrush wasn't bad enough ! It's appalling.

Amagran Fri 27-Sep-19 10:38:58

Quite so Lemongrove, but does that make it right or desirable?

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 10:42:24

It makes it what it is....free speech.So easy to ban things we don’t like, but wrong to do so.

crazygranny Fri 27-Sep-19 10:56:30

The most dangerous acts always begin by demeaning the 'other'. Genocides always begin with words.

FarNorth Fri 27-Sep-19 10:58:24

Get Brexit Done means do it and everyone can calm down and get back to the normal business of domestic politics.

If that's what happens then, great.
If it's as simple as that, why aren't we being given reassurance by those negotiating it?
Rather than aggression and meaningless soundbites?

seadragon Fri 27-Sep-19 11:15:44

The so called 'surrender bill' is about preventing "No Deal" which, to quote Rory Stewart is "Not a destination; it is the absence of a destination".

"No deal" is a tactic of the nursery like throwing the toys out of the pram or taking your bat home.......

I was equally puzzled by Mr Corbyn's calling Mrs May's proposal of quadrupling the amount of money I could keep if I needed care (£100,000 instead of the current £23,500) 'a dementia tax' as our home is barely worth £100,000......but this emotive misnomer stymied that proposal very effectively...

cathieb Fri 27-Sep-19 11:33:01

There’s a lot of shouting “Get Brexit done!” - it’s become a slogan/war cry, but no-one really knows what this involves. The reality is extremely complex as we’re seeing now. Nobody thought about the issue of Ireland when it all began or about the uncertainties and likely shortages, job losses etc that would affect us ordinary people. I believe that a lot of the shouting and abuse - death threats even - on both sides arise from utter panic. Nobody knows where we’re going! The whole process was set up from the start, mostly by Theresa May and her government, to be confrontational and party political rather than consensual and what a terrible mess that’s got us into....

MaizieD Fri 27-Sep-19 11:40:35

Jeez us.
Lemon and Ug SPECTACULARLY missing the point of the Turner/Cummings exchange.

A threat issued quietly is still a threat.
Government officials issuing threats, ’more bricks through your windows if you don't back us'?

This is vile...

Tigertooth Fri 27-Sep-19 12:03:01

Well of course she means Ed Davey - why be such a Pratt about the spelling of a name? You know who she means. So he apologised, big fat deal, he still used far worse language than Boris did. The whole lot, both sides need to calm it down and act like other professionals have to.

FarNorth Fri 27-Sep-19 12:12:13

Just because we see it on TV doesn't mean it's entertainment and anything goes.
They're supposed to make serious efforts to govern for the good of the UK.
It's clear, tho, that Boris has got through life, so far, by flanneling & blustering to disguise that he's interested in no-one but himself and now he can't do anything else.

DidoLaMents Fri 27-Sep-19 12:21:45

Firecracker123 to prove your, I’m sure, well intended point to the debate about language on both sides; can you tell me what are we surrendering and to whom? Might be helpful if you can refer to the parts of the Act that you think are unreasonable and will result in surrender?

cathieb Fri 27-Sep-19 12:22:43

There is a story that when BJ was at Eton and took big parts in school drama productions he would deliberately appear not to know his lines so that he could ad lib and have unscripted discussions with the prompter, taking centre stage of course. This was thought to be very amusing and audiences were huge. Nothing changes!

Doodledog Fri 27-Sep-19 13:22:57

If the UK still has universities in 15 years' time, it would be an excellent PhD topic for someone to do a discourse analysis of UK politics in the early 21st century.

So much of it is soundbites that get repeated in the press, then picked up in Facebook memes and repeated in 'arguments' that just go round in meaningless circles.

What was really meant by 'Brexit means Brexit', 'the will of the people'? Who are 'remoaners'? None of it stands up to any sort of scrutiny, but it all gets repeated until the phrases become a sort of tribal chant, and are assumed to mean something.

Is everyone who voted to remain a 'remoaner'? Or does the term apply only to those who stand by what they believe and don't stay silent about it? What is the 'surrender bill', and who is surrendering to whom? Was there a war in the first place? The will of which people? Yes, in 2016 slightly more people voted to leave than remain, but are 'retainers' now 'non-people'?

It is interesting that terms like Brexit and Remoaner are not words that were in the language before all of this - they were specially created to be used as the users wish. What does Brexit mean? Well, it means Brexit, of course.

It's depressing and fascinating in equal measure, but it is also very scary, IMO, as there is no longer much by way of debate - just wars of soundbites.

Doreen5 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:31:44

Whichever way you voted, the fact remains that a majority of the people voted to leave the EU. How frustrating it must be for those trying to honour this reesult to get the job done. Keep going Boris, for the sake of democracy, and get us out on 31 October.

Amagran Fri 27-Sep-19 13:38:06

For the sake of democracy, Boris please don't keep going on attempting and threatening to break the law and bullying dissenters.

But please do attend the hearing investigating your alleged corruption.

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 13:43:17

The referendum result was a corruption of democracy. Many people believed that brexit would make them better off. The billionaires behind the leave campaigns are the only ones who stand to gain. Everyone else would lose but they had to be sold a lie because very few folk would ever vote to be worse off.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 14:00:17

MaizieD Karl Turner has been accused of sexual harassment, Google if you are interested, probably not because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Whose vile now

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 14:14:24

The language leaders use matters because it sets the tone for public debate. We need to create an environment that enables young people to come forward into our public life. I fear we are failing to do so - @joswinson

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1177250765334818816?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet