Will of the people
Romoaners
Unelected EU beaurocrats
Regain our sovereignty
People against parliament
Remain elites
Good old Boris ( or Nigel) is a man of the people
Everyone just wants us to "do brexif"
17.4 million have been ignored for the last three years.
Brexit by 31st October - do or die
Sunlit uplands
Clean break brexit

We should not tolerate these lies any longer. Repeating slogans is not intelligent debate and repeating lies does not make them true.

Joelsnan Thu 26-Sep-19 20:21:15

As WW2 would say...Oh dear!

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:26:42

Where as I don't agree with everything in your list for example the one about Boris or Nigel, I don't see why the title of this thread is 'Bad Language' or why you refer to this list as lies.

You may not agree but that doesn't make them lies and "Repeating slogans is not intelligent debate and repeating lies doe not make them true" is equally applicable to remainers.

Bridgeit Thu 26-Sep-19 20:33:01

Well spotted Varian, yes it’s using a scattering of inflammatory words which covertly slants the topic into a negative interpretation.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:13:59

Ed Davy has called for Boris Johnson to be decapitated

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:15:42

The rhetoric is disgusting from all sides

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 21:19:14

Do you mean Ed Davey? That was bang out of order but quite some time ago and he apologised.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/25/lib-dem-ed-davey-apologises-for-decapitate-comment

varian Thu 26-Sep-19 21:24:32

After the criticism, Davey tweeted he regretted the use of violent language. “I recognise this wasn’t an acceptable choice of phrase and I’m sorry,” he said.

“This was careless use of language, meant in electoral sense and in no way literally. While we should be robust in our opposition, we do have to carefully consider impact of our words and I failed to do that."

In political jargon the term "decapitate" has many times been used to mean the removal of a party leader. However it could be seen as aggressive so Ed Davey did apologise.

I wonder how long we might have to wait forBoris Johnson to apologise for anything.

Rebellious Thu 26-Sep-19 21:26:06

I wonder if any of you have visited Boris Johnson on Facebook. In the comments you will find a fascinating repetition of slogan chanting and no reasoned discussion at all. Whether spread by real people or Russian bits? slogans are contagious, memorable and the death of intelligent discussion.

Rebellious Thu 26-Sep-19 21:27:26

Russian bots I suppose bits is just as accurate if these are indeed computer programmes rather than people.

Davidhs Thu 26-Sep-19 21:28:39

It was appalling, and now the Tories are blaming the opposition and calling for calm - total humbug.

It was Geoffrey Cox who set the tone by a barrage of disputing the Supreme Court, how did he expect the opposition to react. Backed up by the PM, totally unrepentant and dismissive, they could have said “ OK we got it wrong let’s work together for a solution “

Now they are saying calm down!, how can anyone take them seriously. Is this the good guy, bad guy tactics?.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 22:18:42

Nick Boles:

“Let him (meaning BJ) twist in the wind and then strike” ? I expect there will be a bunch of people who will justify this as completely fine. However, it is not a phrase anyone would expect to use without receiving angry, defensive responses

gallusquine Fri 27-Sep-19 06:05:20

At the Labour Party Conference in 2018 Ian Laverty the party chairman said " We need to kill off the Nationalists in Scotland and regain that great country". Bad / dangerous language against the SNP/Scotland is sadly nothing new and has caused its own problems here fuelling hatred on the streets of Glasgow in particular. Nicola Sturgeon First Minister and Kesia Dugdale (Scottish Labour), and Ruth Davidson ( Scottish Tory), had spoken out in March of that year about their concerns.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 06:18:52

The Benn Bill is a Surrender Bill.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:40:43

firecracker

How clever of you to prove everyone’s point.

Repeating slogans is not intelligent.

It is entirely meaningless

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 08:22:49

? It is a Surrender Bill whether you like it or not, you don't like it because it hits a nerve. I have another one which should resonate with a lot of Remainer posters or should I say Remoaners obviously that hits a nerve as well
Synthetic Outrage (another one of Boris's gems).

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Sep-19 08:26:40

Gosh “synthetic outrage”

EllanVannin Fri 27-Sep-19 08:51:20

The main question would be :

Why would anyone, with any sense, vote for any of them ??

FarNorth Fri 27-Sep-19 09:02:48

how did he expect the opposition to react

Clearly the opposition reacted as they were intended to do.
They didn't have to.

It's disgusting that this is what's happening instead of the government trying to do its best for the UK.

Amagran Fri 27-Sep-19 09:06:07

Very good post, varian.

Smileless2012, the language in varian's list is not good. The opposite of good, is bad.

It is 'not good' or 'bad' because it uses insults, inflammatory language and sometimes lies instead of reasoned arguments. In making such a seismic decision about the future of our country and our grandchildren, we need to use persuasion based on facts and reasoned argument, not uninformed slogans and insults.

MaizieD Fri 27-Sep-19 09:51:26

I hope that people will watch the video clip (as shown by the BBC) at the head of this twitter thread

MP Karl Turner speaks to Dominic Cummings about the inflammatory language being 'encouraged' in the House. He says that he has received death threats overnight. Cummimg's response? "Get Brexit done"

Sounds like a threat to me...

twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1177459935124189185

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 09:53:53

Actually, having seen this last night, it was Karl Turner being threatening!
Cummings stayed calm throughout.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 09:54:09

Whitewave yes Synthetic Outrage something Remainers on here are good at.

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 09:55:32

Get Brexit Done means do it and everyone can calm down and get back to the normal business of domestic politics.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-Sep-19 09:56:49

Repeating slogans is meaningless lol
The next government
The next government
The next government
yes would have to agree with that.