Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Party conference in Manchester

(249 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:23

Seems MPs have rejected an attempt by the government to adjourn parliament to allow Tory politicians to attend the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

The event, due to start on Sunday and continue until Wednesday, comes the weekend after Labour held its party conference in Brighton and two weeks after the Liberal Democrats held theirs in Bournemouth.

Thoughts on this?

varian Thu 03-Oct-19 10:33:34

Even according to his party's in-house rag, the Telegraph, "Boris Johnson's first conference speech as Prime Minister was long on rhetoric but short on policy"

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/02/analysis-boris-johnsons-first-conference-speech-prime-minister/

Firecracker123 Thu 03-Oct-19 09:30:25

Sour grapes lol.

varian Thu 03-Oct-19 08:38:32

"The emperor has no clothes" - but the Tory faithful cannot see it

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 08:25:33

Well just to round up a very peculiar week indeed.

Yesterday Boris Johnson took up his birthright as the grand leader, milking every second as he entered the hall to applause from his adoring public. Bo-ris Bo-ris echoing as he walked to his podium.

But to be frank that was the height of the next 40 minutes.
His laziness had meant that he really hadn’t bothered much about his speech until apparently a few minutes before he entered the hall.

The main theme was that Parliament, the elected representative of the people, was a load of rubbish, and he, Johnson, elected by a few thousand adoring members could do as he pleased. Never mind the law of the land, never mind what the electorate actually wanted.

The hypocrisy was breathtaking.

He then went on sounding like a mediocre music hall artist who raises a titter by making rude remarks about various people and then seemed to run out of steam.

Somehow he had to fill up the next 30 minutes so did so by resorting to recycled jokes from his Telegraph column, talking about his favourite subject - himself- and lies.

What he didn’t seem to realise in his little narcissistic world was that he was dying on his feet. He was hopeless.

That was it. They applauded - of course they did, but it was noticeably less adoring than when he entered the hall.

As Crace said

“The emperor had no clothes”

The end of a very peculiar week indeed.

varian Wed 02-Oct-19 18:57:43

“It is not a serious proposal and presumably what they’re doing is simply trying to avoid a deal to get to no-deal.”

Former Northern Ireland negotiator Jonathan Powell says the PM’s Brexit offer is a political strategy to enable a no-deal Brexit

twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1179154629315067904

paddyann Wed 02-Oct-19 16:04:35

I did like Boris telling everyone how HE was going to take back the UK fisheries and SCOTLANDS marine wealth.....glad he can admit the truth for once .After the tory clown theis morning who want to take back Edinburgh Castle and have a "union" day I'm sure Scotland is having on second thoughts about Independence ......ha bloody ha !

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:54:21

grow yes I saw that. Toe curling. Dear oh dear?

growstuff Wed 02-Oct-19 15:49:51

The best bit I saw was Andrea Leadsom behaving like a primary school headmistress, trying (and failing) to whip up enthusiasm for Johnson grin.

GillT57 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:41:06

The bits (wouldn't call them highlights) of the conference that I have watched have been uninspiring going by the snoozing audience. The ugliest moment though has to be P Patel, the child of immigrants who were given sanctuary here and made a success of their new life, standing up and promising to stop other people from having the same opportunity. Vile.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:38:30

grandad no never have been.

Tories decide policy without any input from membership.

Mind you looking at them it is just as well.

growstuff Wed 02-Oct-19 15:22:26

It's divided into three age groups. The left of each line is males and the right is females.

There is a higher percentage of 55+ women than men who would vote Conservative, but a lower percentage who would vote for the Brexit Party. Approximately the same percentage of men would vote Labour or LD as women. Overall, in that age group Conservatives are the most popular and Brexit Party the least popular.

In the youngest age band, Labour is most popular, especially with women.

Grandad1943 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:20:08

Can anyone on GN help us with something we have been discussing over a coffee break in our office?

Are any motions or resolutions actually placed before the Conservative conference, then debated, and following that voted on in acceptance or rejection by the delegates attending, or does the event just consist of a series of speech presentations from the platform?

Perhaps anyone who has followed the conference fairly closely over the last four days would have knowledge or someone who has awareness of the conservative conference standing orders could advise.

Many thanks.

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 14:51:56

I think you might have to explain how that chart works, growstuff.

growstuff Wed 02-Oct-19 14:33:53

Results of a survey done yesterday … Dark blue is Conservative, red is Labour, yellow is LD and light blue is Brexit Party. Maybe the Conservative ladies are a little unrepresented on GN. Presumably it was done in England because there are no SNP, Plaid or NI parties and I don't know about the Greens.

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 13:41:10

Of course she will, if you expect any of us to bother to type anything out from the speech.....why would we?
It will be available online if trisher really wants to read it .

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 13:37:33

Well you don't like Boris/Brexit, trisher. So you aren't going to like the Conservative conference.

I'm not a huge fan of Labour/Jeremy or the Lib Dems's/Jo but you won't find me making endless comments on any forums about how dreadful they are.

But if it makes you feel better you go for it!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 13:35:14

trisher I think you’ll have a long wait?

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 13:34:20

.....and it will involve Brexit no doubt.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 13:31:20

Well, the conference is over. End of this thread perhaps?

I bet another political one will be up and running in 3, 2 1 ...
?

trisher Wed 02-Oct-19 13:30:25

I shall await it with interest WWmk2 all they seem interested in at the moment is Stanley. Distraction? When all is lost send in the clowns? Oh sorry they're here!

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 13:28:52

Your outline would be biased WWM2...no doubts about that at all.
I suggest trisher reads it all online and then nobody is accused of being biased.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 13:26:48

You did ask me Remind me again what is Stanley's particular talent. gfp so I answered you!

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 13:25:58

I think Stan is lovely.

Did he demand to be on IACGMOOH? I doubt it. But he was a great contestant.

He's not a snob. But some people will call him one.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 13:25:56

I think a right winger ought to outline the speech trisher as my outline would be accused of being biased?.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 13:25:24

Yes MaizieD Boris is a bit of a comedian. Surprisingly, he is still well ahead in all the polls. Perhaps the public like to smile a bit. It is allowed, isn’t it?

Jeremy Corbyn can only dream of such popularity. Plus with his droning voice the majority of the public aren’t interested. He certainly isn’t an orator. He cannot hold an audience. I think it’s why he shouts at them!