Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Party conference in Manchester

(248 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:23

Seems MPs have rejected an attempt by the government to adjourn parliament to allow Tory politicians to attend the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

The event, due to start on Sunday and continue until Wednesday, comes the weekend after Labour held its party conference in Brighton and two weeks after the Liberal Democrats held theirs in Bournemouth.

Thoughts on this?

MawB Thu 26-Sep-19 21:38:31

They could just FaceTime/Skype each other gringrin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:42:58

I feel for the businesses in Manchester which will now lose revenue if the Conservative Conference is cancelled.

On a grass roots level it will rally blue votes who will view this as unjust!

jura2 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:48:26

they have had plenty of time to have their Conference when they prorogued, surely ;) (sorry, but ...)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:55:45

jura2 that post was not worthy of you.

Having been involved with conference organising (not political) they are booked and organised as much as 3 years in advance. Venues, staff, electronics etc, but hey ho it’s the Conservative Party so they can afford it ???

Anniebach Thu 26-Sep-19 21:59:25

I think it unfair, the other parties had their conferences and
Conservative party members should have theirs.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 22:04:48

That did make me giggle Maw
And jura too!

It does seem like payback after the prorogation. But a lot of planning/businesses are involved. It will have to be a pared down event I suppose. Hotels & restaurants will take a hit.

Grandad1943 Thu 26-Sep-19 22:10:05

I believe that the Conference is still to take place but the Tory Executive will not be able to attend on all days due to the fact they will be required to attend Parliment.

All the MPs who had the whip withdrawn from them over Brexit and were then thrown out of the party voted to not suspend Parliament over the days of the conference. Voting in that ballot must have tasted very sweet to them.

It was also the seventh parliamentary ballot that Johnson has lost on the trot since becoming Prime Minister.

What a shame as it could not have happened to a nicer person. ?

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 22:27:34

Can tell it’s not your family business that’s been affected Grandad1943 ....

absthame Thu 26-Sep-19 22:39:41

In general I have between little or no sympathy for the Tories no matter I'll falls them.

Having said that I think the vote was petty.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:43:44

This is also petty

We just arrived at Conservative party conference and our only non-British (EU citizen) young writer has had their pass cancelled with no explanation... #ConservativePartyConference #Brexit #journorequest @Conservatives @CCHQPress

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:46:02

Johnson’s speech preview

#ConservativePartyConference Boris Johnson speech leaked:

"Traitor scum surrender foreign darkies WW2 islamic spitfire belieeeeeeeve betrayal remoaner spies collaborators stealing our jobs british pride stupid foreigners need us BRiittttish evil germans dunkirk spitfires again"

jura2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:49:32

ouch ...but close.

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:00:32

Whitewavemark2, you left out "wonderfull truthful Donald Trump" and "Putin the great democrat."
???

Impartialandeducated Sun 29-Sep-19 12:55:18

Grannygravy Are you really surprised that labour contributors couldn't give a flying red flag for small businesses. I'm running short of bread so off to Warehouse No 1 for the only brand of bread on offer.

GillT57 Sun 29-Sep-19 13:01:57

Apart from my concern for the businesses in Manchester around the venue, I think this prorogation business has come back and bit them on the bum, and serves them right.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 13:04:07

Love it Impartialandeducated Sun 29-Sep-19 12:55:18 !!

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 13:08:13

Having seen what goes on at conferences they are where they should be working in H of C. They will no doubt miss the free lunches, coffee and cocktails laid on by lobbyists.

Grany Sun 29-Sep-19 13:10:49

Forbes

Why small business should not fear Jeremy Corbyn

www.forbes.com/sites/davidprosser/2019/09/27/why-small-businesses-should-not-fear-jeremy-corbyn/#231c0fa022f9

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 13:23:55

As the conference hasn't been cancelled I don't understand the concerns expressed here for the local businesses.

I expect they'll be getting a bit of a bonus from catering for all the protestors as well.

Ilovecheese Sun 29-Sep-19 15:21:02

As MaizieD says, the conference has not been cancelled, no local business should lose money.

No need for unpleasant remarks about Labour voters not caring about small businesses.

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 18:14:48

This is seriously weird. Has there ever been a party conference venue with this level of 'protection' for the delegates before? Who are they afraid of?

Is this part of the plan to make us all believe that the UK populace is on the verge of violent eruption?

What on earth is this all costing us?

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 19:26:40

The main meetings are taking place at the Manchester Central Convention Complex. There's a sign on the side of the building. grin

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 19:32:23

Yes, the barriers I posted are actually at the hotel the delegates are stopping at.

Still bizarre. I thought everyone adored our PM and tory MPs... What are they being protected from?

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:33:48

Yes, it was petty for the rest of Parliament not to allow the days needed for the conference, they all had theirs after all.
To be expected though, the way things are in the House.
In the end though, it won’t really make much difference.