Gransnet forums

News & politics

33 days to go .... What’s the Brexit plan?

(726 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 28-Sep-19 10:32:18

Something’s afoot!

The SNP’s embrace – with a public show of reluctance – for the idea of sending Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street shows the mounting tetchiness among Remainers that somehow Boris will be able to get around the Benn Act, and thereby leave the UK hurtling towards a no deal by the end of next month unless they take action.

What are your thoughts on what’s going on?

varian Thu 31-Oct-19 22:22:08

Has Mark Francios exploded?

www.indy100.com/article/brexit-latest-mark-francois-britain-exploded-trending-leave-eu-october-31-twitter-9179246

Labaik Thu 31-Oct-19 16:07:26

...at least Nicky Morgan is going....

Labaik Thu 31-Oct-19 16:06:37

Alas, it seems to be the decent MP's that are leaving from all parties. Wasn't Owen Smith deselected because of his views on a Peoples Vote, even though it now seems to be party policy....?

jura2 Thu 31-Oct-19 15:03:30

well I do hope that all the decent, sensible, human Conservatives I know, relatives and friends- will turn away from a party that will agree to ally with Farage and the extreme right- in disgust, disappointment and shame. I do think they will recoil from it all- and the ERG.

Some I know have said they will just not vote- and others have said they will vote Lib Dem. One told me she is so disgusted and has been so impressed with Caroline, she will vote Green. Someone who has never ever thought about voting anthing else than Tory for last 60+ years.

Urmstongran Thu 31-Oct-19 14:54:24

Ooh new faces in the HoC! That’ll do for a start! Lots of Remainer MP’s in Leave constituencies are not standing. Yay!

GracesGranMK3 Thu 31-Oct-19 14:47:03

It will solve nothing if the Tories get back in, that's for certain jura but a change of government could make all the difference. How anyone can vote for the team that produced all the chaos and conflict I have no idea.

jura2 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:19:14

She explains it very well- what a complete nonsense this election is. It will solve nothing:

www.facebook.com/ITVPeston/videos/743883062792871/

GracesGranMK3 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:05:42

Something to celebrate.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:04:23

Chestnut.

1. Do you or do you not know that our MPs are Representatives not Delegates?

2. Do you or do you not know that this means they must act, according to there conscience and principles to get what they believe to be the best for their constituents?

3. Do you or do you not know that once elected, although they will listen to you and, where they can, try to help they are not obliged to do what Chestnut or even a lot of Chestnuts tells them?

If you actually don't know this by now I am stunned and if you do you are repeating an untruth when you say "They are supposed to be acting for the British people and delivering Brexit."

They could all have ignored the vote. It would not have been a good move politically but, under our constitution, they could do that.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:52:19

Happy No Brexit Day everyone
?????

AllTheLs Thu 31-Oct-19 09:41:20

I'm just relieved and thankful there is going to be an election. I'm hoping one party will win with a sizeable majority so we can get this whole thing over with one way or another. The worst thing ever would be a hung Parliament.

If it does result in a majority party I will accept what they do re Brexit whether I like it or not. But in the meantime, I'm going keep on rallying for Leave and hope the Tories win (and I haven't voted for the Tories for a long, long time).

Chestnut Thu 31-Oct-19 09:27:37

GracesGranMK3 - You make rude patronising comments and accuse me of being ignorant and a liar. Looking back over this thread, I have never told an 'untruth' as you call it. Don't turn a discussion on Brexit into a personal spat.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 31-Oct-19 00:21:39

Relating repeating

GracesGranMK3 Thu 31-Oct-19 00:20:57

Could you stop relating untruths?

Chestnut Wed 30-Oct-19 23:03:05

Could you try to be a little more patronising please.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 30-Oct-19 16:08:16

They acted according to their conscience and principles
They are supposed to be acting for the British people and delivering Brexit.

It really doesn't matter how many times you have it explained you actually refuse to understand how our democracy works don't you Chestnut. Why? I don't believe you are stupid so why not learn? MPs are not delegates who have to do as we say. They do not have to keep single promise they make prior to an Election although they will do as far as they believe it is in our best interest. You know this. You also know that the referendum was only advisory. They could have passed a law making it legally binding but they didn't.

Just repeating time and time again that you want MPs to be something they are not, like a small child does, changes nothing.

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 13:51:04

No, Chestnut, I meant they could not support a leader so devoid of principles.

Chestnut Wed 30-Oct-19 09:33:48

They acted according to their conscience and principles
They are supposed to be acting for the British people and delivering Brexit.

They felt they could not support a leader so devoid of principles
You mean a leader who was acting for the British people and trying to deliver Brexit.

Amagran Tue 29-Oct-19 23:49:07

You are right newnanny, they don't deserve the current Conservative Party. They deserve far better. They acted according to their conscience and principles, not with an eye on losing or retaining their seat. They felt they could not support a leader so devoid of principles.

newnanny Tue 29-Oct-19 23:40:41

Mays deal was not Brexit as we would not be able to negotiate trade deals around the world. I am very pleased Boris has got his election at last. Drain the swamp I say. Conservative dregs like Gauke, Hammond, Letwin, Grieve, Clarke and Stewart do not deserve to re-gain the Conservative whip.

Labaik Tue 29-Oct-19 23:22:51

And, pray tell, what was their solution to the Irish problem?

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 23:03:48

I fear there are many delicate voters who have been completely disillusioned by the non-delivery of Brexit and they just won't vote again. These people have lost faith in democracy thanks to remainers.

oldgoat Tue 29-Oct-19 21:59:19

The ERG and Johnson also voted against May's WA , three times.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Oct-19 21:53:20

Well, well, well.
Boris did well today. Got his election when HE wanted it.
And the lovely measured deputy Speaker threw out the silly nonsense of u-16 voting & EU nationals.
Talk about trying to gerrymander but she saw it for what it was!

And confirmed by Barnier today that Labour had everything they wanted with May's March vote on worker's rights but did not vote for it! If they get wiped out in the election they will only have themselves to blame.

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 21:50:21

Yes, naturally...unless somebody has a crystal ball, but it’s fair to surmise that Corbyn’s stock has gone down this last year with many Labour voters, also with anybody who voted to leave the EU.