Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pass me the bucket...

(400 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:23:46

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Misses Wax, Lowe, Stevenson and Misters Fry, Rylance et al are not sleeping on the streets, are still driving or being driven in cars and using their electronic gadgets. Still eating foods transported over thousands of miles, still wearing clothes made outside the UK, still not sorting their rubbish as assiduously as the average Brit, still spouting ignorant hypocritical nonsense.
They make me sick.
All of them, a***** of the first water.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 17:45:04

let's not get it out of proportion

HOWLLLLLLLLL

merlotgran Mon 07-Oct-19 17:45:34

The clip I saw on the News this morning showed them letting ambulances through. Yes, we're all doing our bit but it's not us they're railing against.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 17:48:16

The planet might not die. But it could well become uninhabitable by the end of the century.

But who cares eh? Won't bother us where we are.

Oh! Hang on! What are those kids called? Grandchildren? Great-grandchildren? ..........

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 17:49:52

Peaceful is not against the law. God knows what charges they're drumming up against 'em. hmm

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 17:50:23

Peaceful protest

Chestnut Mon 07-Oct-19 18:03:18

I support saving the planet but it's the sheer hypocrisy of it all. These celebs create a larger carbon footprint that any of us I'm sure! Look at the last demo, with Emma Thompson flying from the USA to stand on the street and lecture us all.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 18:04:44

I wonder how many of them will be eating their teas from a plastic container ? Readymeal and the like.

Esspee Mon 07-Oct-19 18:09:37

I wonder how they got there?

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:26:20

The celebs are a bloody nuisance. No one needs them. Suppose they've got as much right as anyone to protest as anyone but they should do it as ordinary individuals. But that wouldn't be the same for them would it. Eejits.

crystaltipps Mon 07-Oct-19 18:28:13

Omg someone used a plastic bag in the past so they can’t possibly protest, they are such hypocrites . No you have to be totally perfect before you can protest. That is such a ridiculous stance - unless we live in a forest in Wales, forage for all our food and knit our own vegan yoghurt we can’t want to try to change anything. Yes I have plastic stuff in my house, but trying to go plastic free, I am vegan but I have been on a plane once or twice, so Im not totally perfect but I do support the protest and think we should all try to do the least harm but it’s governments that need to really put the pressure on.

gillybob Mon 07-Oct-19 18:29:36

These celebrity types always need attention ( doesn’t matter what kind ) but I’m very disappointed in the BFG Mark Rylance.

Eloethan Mon 07-Oct-19 18:42:52

I'm not altogether sure that their methods are the best way to draw attention and get support.

However, getting to work will be the least of our worries if we continue to pollute and degrade our environment. As others have said, it may not be too much of an issue for us older people but for the young life may become pretty intolerable.

janipat Mon 07-Oct-19 18:46:09

Omg someone used a plastic bag in the past so they can’t possibly protest, they are such hypocrites

No, actually she's pictured at the protest today carrying her Waterstones plastic bag. Didn't realise that going to buy a book would involve needing something to put it in then? It just shows an amazing lack of awareness sigh

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:48:19

confused Perhaps she was using an old carrier bag to keep her sarnies in.

Dinahmo Mon 07-Oct-19 18:51:01

GG54 what an appalling post. Do you only wear clothes manufactured in the UK from fabric made in the UK. Do you only eat food or drink grown or reared in the UK? One can assume that you don't make Christmas cakes or puddings because the fruit and spices mainly come from abroad. Do you never leave the UK to go on holiday?

Oopsminty How dare you suggest that we tell third world countries not to do as we do.

To be honest I was shocked to read some of the responses supporting GG54.

janipat Mon 07-Oct-19 18:52:33

Gonegirl nice try, but it looks suspiciously book-shaped to me, and very pristine.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:56:43

You're not going to change people's thinking on here Dinahmo. It's a leopards and spots thing.

I do agree with you though.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:58:21

A plastic lunchbox is the same shape as a book.

Oh God!!! Did I say plastic?

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:59:49

Actually, plastic isn't going to hasten climate change. Just (just?!) kill off marine life.

Riverwalk Mon 07-Oct-19 19:03:02

To be perfectly honest I don't have much sympathy this time and don't support their actions. All that dressing up in red dresses and white make up nonsense - like it's a music festival not the impending disaster they're predicting.

It's not the great and the good, the Establishment, the frequent flyers, etc who are going to be inconvenienced over the next two weeks, just everyday people trying to go about their business. It's not so easy to just avoid the Westminster area as there are knock-on effects.

The biggest disaster facing this county is happening in three weeks - Brexit, and this XR action is diverting attention away from that.

crystaltipps Mon 07-Oct-19 19:06:33

How do the critics suggest we get governments attention to act on the issues?

gillybob Mon 07-Oct-19 19:17:42

What do these people even want ? To close down the country ? Halt business ? Stop flights, the production and use of all vehicles, end to farming? I mean what ?

Urmstongran Mon 07-Oct-19 19:41:38

I agree gillybob

I suspect if you were to challenge these fools with writing a 500 word essay on why they were there, you would find a lot of blank stares and blank pages.

lemongrove Mon 07-Oct-19 19:49:03

I agree with you Gabriella all the ‘look at me’ types jumping on the bandwagon to further plump up their careers and get themselves into the newspapers.
The Ext Rebellion lot are making parts of London inaccessible for all of this week, DD had a hell of a time getting into work last time, so this week will be the same.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 19:50:25

Flippin 'eck gillybob! How many times ?!

rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/