Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pass me the bucket...

(400 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:23:46

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Misses Wax, Lowe, Stevenson and Misters Fry, Rylance et al are not sleeping on the streets, are still driving or being driven in cars and using their electronic gadgets. Still eating foods transported over thousands of miles, still wearing clothes made outside the UK, still not sorting their rubbish as assiduously as the average Brit, still spouting ignorant hypocritical nonsense.
They make me sick.
All of them, a***** of the first water.

janipat Sat 12-Oct-19 10:06:15

To be fair trisher the people that didn't complain during the miners' strike are not necessarily, or even probably, the people that are complaining now. And even if they were people are allowed to develop and change their opinions, it would be useless XR doing what they are if that wasn't so.

Oopsminty Sat 12-Oct-19 10:02:58

And isn't it ironic that mining was part of this problem we are dealing with today.

I remember the environment being mentioned at the time. Filthy coal condemning miners to early deaths. London smogs which my Mother remembered well.

Thousands of miners died in their 50's/60s.

Ghastly occupation

Of course we'd discovered we could get coal cheaper from developing countries and allowed them to lead dreadful lives down mines.

trisher Sat 12-Oct-19 09:58:07

Watching the complaints about wasting police time I was reminded of how many police were involved in preventing miners picketing during the miners' strike. I don't remember anyone then saying they should be chasing criminals and not spending time stopping peaceful protest. Strange isn't it?

Oopsminty Sat 12-Oct-19 09:34:11

My quoting technique is an utter failure

Oopsminty Sat 12-Oct-19 09:33:37

*They are also wanting 'Citizen's assemblies

First you've heard of that is it oopsminty? *

No, GG.

I just can't believe that anyone would take such an idea seriously

trisher Sat 12-Oct-19 09:30:51

Regardless of accuracies and inaccuracies what shocks me on this thread is the very real bile being spewed out by some people at a group of people who only want to make the future of the planet we live on more secure. Much as you may dislike their methods it really isn't reasonable to make accusations about drugs, mental health issues or other things. Criticise the methods by all means but stop trying to blacken them all.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 18:45:47

From some people, yes.
Others seem to be talking out their hats.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 18:42:20

Accuracies please!!!

Yeah. Cos there's a lot of that on this thread isn't there? grin

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 18:40:36

They are also wanting 'Citizen's assemblies

First you've heard of that is it oopsminty? grin

GabriellaG54 Fri 11-Oct-19 18:05:33

10-1 our GC and GGC (and even our AC) don't think of us as far as our present and future quality of life is concerned.
All the majority of people on here are yarking about, is future generations as if we don't matter.
Well, if you don't, I certainly do.
I'm not busting a gut when the world's largest countries are the world's biggest polluters.

I'd love to know how many of the thousands clogging up the streets of London lead impeccably planet-conscious lives, as they plug in their iPhones and tablets, buy the latest trainers, attend bbqs drink wine. Do they assiduously read clothing labels?
How many will be gorging on cake and pudding made with imported spices and vomiting on the streets after a night out and expecting street cleaners on minimum wage to clean up the mess? They're not considering them now, trying to get into work.

I wonder how pristine they will leave the areas now taken over by the hordes.
Wasters...big time.

Oopsminty Fri 11-Oct-19 17:55:16

They are demanding that the UK 'legally commits to reducing carbon emissions to net zero by 2025. That's from the BBC website.

I am no expert but I heard it on Jeremy Vine that this demand is totally impossible.

They are also wanting 'Citizen's assemblies'. Now this sounds great in theory. I am somewhat doubtful that they'd work.

People on Gransnet are proving that a group of 'ordinary people' are not always singing from the same hymn sheet.

Have you ever been on a Jury? I have. 12 'ordinary people'. Chaos.

So their demands are pie in the sky.

We will have to totally alter the way we live. And I'm not sure that the 'ordinary people' of this country are going to want to.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Oct-19 17:46:29

Gonegirl I posted that someone I knew walked past XR camp and could smell cannabis.

I did not infer that “all those protesters were cannabis users”

Accuracies please!!!

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Oct-19 17:36:30

Gonegirl I suggest you read up about the link between recreational drug use and mental health. A link has also been found with criminal activity.

So yes, I did put some thought into what I said.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:24:17

Yes, you do that janipat.

grannygravy do you really think all those protestors, amongst them some highly qualified people from all walks of life, are cannabis smokers? To me they come across as intelligent, well read in the subject, thoughtful, caring, individuals.

unlike some on here

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Oct-19 17:19:52

Gonegirl there is a section on the NHS website stating “that using cannabis as few as 5 times is linked to an increase in psychosis”

janipat Fri 11-Oct-19 17:16:34

apologies for the mixup between { and [ Goodness if typos are an indication of anger ........ anyway I'll write out a hundred times "I must do better" smile

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:14:10

Didn't read the other thread.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:13:31

You certainly sound angry janipat. You are even mixing your { s up with your [ s.

janipat Fri 11-Oct-19 17:12:09

oopssmile

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:11:57

By the way, if the ER idiots are cannabis users we can completely ignore anything they say or do as the drug will have adversely affected their thought processes

You know, that is a really silly statement. Did you put any thought at all into it?

janipat Fri 11-Oct-19 17:11:01

I am not angry, I am frustrated at what I feel is counter-productive posturing by XR. The government are aware of XR's demands, we all are. I just don't agree with the disruption being caused to so many people.

If sources aren't being linked to, and somebody on the radio could be anyone, then it's hard to judge the veracity. I'm sorry you find me impossible. Did you see that video I linked to on the other thread, that was someone on the radio. She told us once we leave the EU we can wrap our fish and chips in newspaper again. I'd bet her we can't {smile}

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:10:18

Maybe, just maybe, your grandchildren, and their children, will be grateful to them.

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Oct-19 17:07:21

Oops! That’s me damned then.

I have been eating avocados for years - long before they become fashionable

By the way, if the ER idiots are cannabis users we can completely ignore anything they say or do as the drug will have adversely affected their thought processes.

I completely agree with those who quite correctly call them selfish idiots.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:00:47

That goes for a lot of people on this website. grin

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 16:59:29

You are impossible to talk to. grin You are so angry!