Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anne Sacoolas

(141 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 07-Oct-19 22:17:11

Should she have to come back and face trial for killing that boy? I’ve read about diplomatic immunity. Should it cover killing by the diplomat or his/her family?

maddyone Wed 16-Oct-19 21:29:16

I agree Iam64.

Iam64 Wed 16-Oct-19 19:48:40

Ive just watched the channel 4 news coverage of the family's visit to the White House.
Mr Trump said that he arranged the meeting because "Boris" asked him to. Ten Downing Street have denied this is the case and added that Mr J supports the decision by the family, not to meet AS at the White House.
The young man's mother, father and step father spoke outside the WhiteHouse to waiting journalists. IMO they were very impressive and diplomatic.

Anniebach Wed 16-Oct-19 18:56:36

All of it suzie

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 18:46:38

Yes anniebach it’s very disturbing isn’t it when a grieving family fighting for justice have to escape bring ambushed by the POTUS. I couldn’t agree with you more

Iam64 Wed 16-Oct-19 18:13:18

From what I've read, the family went to America to attempt to influence the powers that be (ie Donald) to waive the diplomatic immunity that allowed this woman to leave the UK, or to find ways of ensuring she returned to the UK to allow justice. She had given her commitment to the investigating police team, that she would stay until their investigation was complete, then left the country.
It's clear that Donald Trump had arranged a photo opportunity. He had AS in a separate room, asked the family to meet her, they saw a rank of photographers and very wisely, imo, declined the offer.
This was as ever, all about Donald and in no way about meeting any of the needs of this family. Their position has always been that she should return to the UK.
How on earth is it acceptable for anyone to leave the country in this way? If she was a spy, I could understand (almost) the need to keep her identity secret. She isn't. I loathe the way she's described as "the wife of a diplomat", as though that's all she is in the world. However, it does seem that being "the wife of a diplomat" enables you to avoid the judicial process when you cause an accident that leads to the death of a 19 year old man. Shocking and unacceptable.

Anniebach Wed 16-Oct-19 18:11:53

I find it all disturbing now.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 18:06:57

They’ve always said they’d meet her - in a controlled neutral environment with relevant people in attendance . They went to the States to get more publicity for their case and it’s worked. This is about more than meeting her - it’s about justice.

merlotgran Wed 16-Oct-19 18:03:16

Pardon me if I'm missing the obvious but I've just heard Harry Dunn's mother say they want to meet Anne Sacoolas but on UK soil.

So why did they go to America?

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 17:36:31

Just heard update on LBC. DT acting all hurt and innocent that they wouldn’t meet AS ( planned ambush is a better description ) but also saying basically that it’s easy for Americans to drive on wrong side of road here. Simple solution to that - Americans should not be allowed to drive here as they are so inept or have to take a test. Journalist said that CPS can charge her and try in absentia or go for extradition warrant which means she’ll be arrested if comes here. I hope they at least decide to charge her - it will send a message and the parents deserve that at least

Anniebach Wed 16-Oct-19 17:32:13

Just heard the parents refused to meet the woman

maddyone Wed 16-Oct-19 17:18:15

I agree with Suziewoosie, and others who have expressed sympathy for the family. In fact I think we all have sympathy for the family, but I think as Suzie says, that the authorities wouldn’t have been too interested without the family going to the media. Good on them, I’d do the same. The woman who killed the boy has no morals, she has looked after herself and left them to it. The family have said they don’t want a prison sentence for her, they just want her to admit her responsibility in all this. The family have morals, they don’t want her children left without a mother. They know it was an accident, but they want her to accept her responsibility.

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 17:16:22

Ah yes!

RTFT = Read the f-- thread

Told you I don't do Mumsnet speak.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 17:02:51

Read the full thread - that’ll answer some of your questions. I’m not your PA ( personal assistant)

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 17:00:22

Lowest common denominator - work it out.

Who said the media circus and PR stunt. I can't see it on this thread.

What does RTFT mean? (I don't do Mumsnet-speak)

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 16:53:36

I didn’t understand your comment about LCD with reference to this case. Wasn’t it worth reporting on?

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:50:33

Of course not the mother.

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:49:54

don't understand that either. confused again

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:49:17

The people who watch ITV breakfast shows for starters. And follow their emotions without engaging their brains.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 16:48:24

RTFT might be a good start

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:48:01

just out of curiosity

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 16:47:48

Who’s the lowest common denominator GG - the mother?

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:47:43

Who said that?

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:47:14

Not saying anymore. Don't want to enter into a disrespectful argument.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 16:47:00

Yes merlot - using terms like media circus and PR stunt is critical for starters.

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 16:46:10

that was to merlot