Gransnet forums

News & politics

Photographic ID needed for next GE

(172 Posts)
newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 13:59:40

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/12/voters-will-have-show-casting-ballot-prevent-electoral-fraud/

Boris is calling for photographic ID to be used at next GE to prevent fraudulent voting scams. Also a limit to amount of proxy votes a person can cast again to prevent voting scams. I think this is a very good idea. Any thoughts anyone?

Peonyrose Thu 17-Oct-19 08:02:50

Iris recognition is the way forward I think. As for postal votes these are just open to abuse. If I have been away for an important vote I would understand I cannot vote. In the past that is what happened.. It has to be as foolproof as it can be.

Coolgran65 Wed 16-Oct-19 23:49:27

Here in NI we have to provide photographic ID. It can include a bus pass or a special electoral identity card which cost nothing. Also a passport is valid even if it is out of date.

Labaik Wed 16-Oct-19 23:26:14

I guess it just needs to be added to the growing list of things he's done u turns on....

petra Wed 16-Oct-19 22:18:00

Labaik & jura2
Boris Johnson made that statement 10 years ago.
I don't think he, and a lot of people, ever thought to what lengths people in power like Luther Rahman would go to to corrupt the our voting system.

jura2 Wed 16-Oct-19 21:41:19

beat me to it Labaik

Labaik Wed 16-Oct-19 11:25:22

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38ID9WRSsk

maddyone Wed 16-Oct-19 11:22:05

I think the problem will become smaller GGMK3, as time goes on. A great many older people don’t use any IT at all, but the younger ones, even our age (we’re mostly in the older age group) are all using IT in our daily lives. When I was teaching in a deprived area, the young mums, including those on benefits (most of them) all had mobiles and smart phones, although some of them used pay as you go rather than a contract. I think fewer people will have no access to IT in the future.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:00:40

I think we have to realise that eventually voting will involve technology and start preparing now. If people are prepared to bank online surely we could sort out voting online. Iris recognition should be able to help with that. We could then vote on our phones, iPads or whatever. There is always going to be a problem with affordability but we have to make technology available to the poor and dispossessed going forward or we will strip them of active citizenship.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 10:45:58

I think the photo ID is just part of the package of reform which has received the most attention. IMO you can’t reform in person voting anyway without looking at the postal vote system. If it goes ahead at some stage, I’m sure they’ll do both. There is also the issue about increasing the number of people actually on the register which I believe has been declining proportionately. Then of course, the really big issue - our FPTP system which is the most effective system of ignoring millions of votes every year. Somehow I doubt that’s up for reform?

SirChenjin Wed 16-Oct-19 10:02:19

Exactly Maizie

Nonnie Wed 16-Oct-19 10:01:10

Postal votes are a separate issue and this won't solve it. That will have to be dealt with in another way.

MaizieD Wed 16-Oct-19 09:44:26

Postal votes are much more of a problem. Opportunities for fraud, voter intimidation, undue influence etc. are infinite.

Which is why, I suppose, that MOnica's report didn't offer much in the way of tightening the rules, not even restricting it to people who have a good reason for asking for one (this is meant to be an ironic statement, BTW).

Voter ID is just an easy option that makes it look as though the government is Doing Something.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Oct-19 09:39:51

I think the actual concept of an unnecessary postal vote is part of the problem. IMO it sort of diminishes the act of voting and therefore perhaps makes ithe vote somehow less valued. ( I’m not talking about those who have a good reason) If the bar is raised for voting in person, then it simply must be raised for postal votes. I believe that ‘harvesting’ of postal votes will be addressed but that’s only part of the problem. The act of voting should be carried in a public place wherever possible I believe whilst obviously having privacy at the booth.

Hetty58 Wed 16-Oct-19 09:28:50

I think a lot of people will do just that. Weren't postal votes a part of the problem, though?

SirChenjin Wed 16-Oct-19 09:13:32

Or you could just register online and vote by post.

M0nica Wed 16-Oct-19 08:46:59

Not compulsory, but necessary if you want to vote and do not have alternative photo identity.

growstuff Wed 16-Oct-19 00:58:11

That's how I feel too, suziewoozie.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Oct-19 22:08:13

sintgat means so that of course

suziewoozie Tue 15-Oct-19 22:06:12

Realistically there is absolutely no way this will be legislated for by the next GE which surely will be this side of Christmas. When and if it is enacted, the devil as always, will be in the detail in the arrangements for getting a card if you need one and how local authorities will publicise this. In NI you can use your passport, driving licence or what sounds like a travel/bus pass or else get the Electoral Identity Card. NI did have an acknowledged serious personation problem for years which is why the system was brought in. As the system has been running there for ages now, there must be some evidence of how it has worked and if it resulted in any voter suppression.

Personally I’d rather have a system of national identity cards that we all had to have.

Re a post upthread btw - it’s perfectly legal to register in two areas if you have homes there as long as you only vote in one at the same election.

The real issue for me will be in how they address the postal vote issue. I never agreed with it being widened sintgat you didn’t have to have a reason for applying for one. I may sound old fashioned but I think there’s something much better about going to vote in person if feasible.

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 21:56:25

Would that be compulsory M0nica?

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:39:00

in a few weeks? Many could not give the above either, many women for sure- as still today, most utility bills, etc, are in husband's name.

M0nica Tue 15-Oct-19 21:28:29

jura2 we dicussed this further up list. It should be quite simple to organise a system whereby post offices issued a photocard on the provision of a photo and the usual evidence for name and address - utility bills, bank statement etc, to anyone without a passport or photo driving licence.

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:18:51

surely some people do not have photographic ID in the UK.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 20:05:33

Is this the law or can it still be challenged?

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 17:52:06

I have never been asked for any form of ID when voting. I could be anyone! Yes, let's bring in ID cards

You know that you could just register online instead and vote by post as many already millions do? You don’t need ID for that.