Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen’s Speech today

(127 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 09:36:14

Pomp and

Her Majesty will be reading out the Government’s programme for the next 12 months with no real expectation on the part of her ministers that any of the proferred legislation will be enacted.

When the Queen says today that “my Government will” introduce this statute or amend that law, everyone will know the chances of it doing so are vanishingly small.

Amid all the defections and suspensions of Conservative MPs, Boris Johnson is at least 40 votes short of a majority and could well lose the main division on the Queen’s Speech, the first prime minister to do so in almost 100 years.

But the reality behind today’s announcements is that, until there is a general election, a new Parliament and a conclusion to Brexit, the current political paralysis will continue!

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 20:32:22

sorry, Barmey, I don't follow what you are saying?

Oh , you are responding to my comment which was meant to be ironic, very ironic.

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:27:37

Yes she did look well today at Westminster Abbey, proud and happy of what she was doing- unlike yesterday- when her whole posture, voice, face- said it all.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Oct-19 20:11:56

Oh for goodness sake Grapefruit stop banging on about emigrants. Its been shown that we need them for various jobs, NHS, carers, farm work, so take your head of the sand. Also more want to go to Sweden than here despite the language.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 20:09:40

She is expert at hiding her feelings and carrying on regardless.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 20:05:58

Actually today she didn’t look washed out or frail.

Here she was this lunchtime (what stamina after yesterday) with Camilla at Westminster Abbey, to celebrate the 750th anniversary of the church's consecration.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 20:05:52

that to Goinon or whatever.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 20:04:57

Pointless trying to have any kind of conversation/chat with this level of hostility.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 20:04:25

Our poor queen. She has endured many difficult times but to be used like this by a self-promoting charlatan and proven liar is just awful.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 20:03:56

That to gracesgranwhatever

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 20:02:43

Yes of course I've listened to the words! And yes, I do know the answer to the questions is no.

That song still means a lot to me.

And I don't want to read your bullshit aren't I the clever one junk.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 19:59:10

jura? I said BORIS looked happy and energised!

‘Our Gracious Queen’? Sounds weird this day and age.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 19:54:05

I'm not massively invested in this, but a look at the Queen on you tube made me sad somehow. I do think she looked burdened and grey somehow.
Maybe it's personal or she has a virus ...we just don't know.
I think she is deeply saddened.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:48:15

Were you never in the Girl Guides? Never sang Jerusalem?

When you are young Parry's stirring music lifts your heart and repetition makes you feel it must be good. William Blake's poem however, is ironic not patriotic as many assume. The answer to each of the the questions he asks is a resounding "no". Can you remember the words? Have you never thought about them?

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?

No, there has never been any thought that Jesus came here.

And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasent pastures seen?

Again No!

And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

No!

And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Definitely No.

Jerusalem is much more accurately an anti-capitalist anthem, more suited to the Labour Party conference where I believe it is sung. It was also my school hymn. That school was set up by a group of warehouseman and clerks in 1855 as a charity - very much a forerunner of today's union's. Money was collected from the Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks and the school was for the 'orphans' (actually defined as fatherless children) of those men. I can't help but be proud of all such co-operative schemes which later led to the state systems which sadly the Tories are trying to remove, brick by brick.

I think, as a school hymn, we sang it for all the right reasons . Elsewhere Blake wrote "Go down, ye Kings and Counsellors and Giant Warriors…Go down with horse and Chariots and Trumpets of hoarse war… Let the slave, grinding at the mill, run out into the field. Let him look up into the heavens and laugh in the bright air." I really think you need to take another look at the very descriptive 'Jerusalem'.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 19:39:22

I think she looked great.

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:28:55

you actually believe that? Do you think Our Gracious Queen looked happy and energised?

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 19:23:33

I don’t think he smirked. Boris is happy and energised. He can see the finish line and knows he has great support from us Leavers. Brexit and then a GE. Or GE followed by Brexit. I don’t think he minds & neither do we!

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:20:03

We were travelling, but managed to watch. I felt so so sorry for her- she looked broken and probably so ashamed, knowing it is all a sham. At her age, after all she has done for this country- she must be disgusted. And Boris smirked throughout. Shame.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:59:10

Don’t forget the Queen didn’t wear the Crown. So it could be interpreted as the crown picking up Johnson’s s...t

It definitely isn’t at the Queens expense.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 18:52:32

I think the cartoon of the "flunkie" picking up the horse sh manure and stowing it in the crown was more likely to be a joke with the queen, rather than at. I have heard she loves her roses, and is definitely a ' waste not, want not' kind of person.

Shame you didn't get the joke jaxie.

Grandma70s Tue 15-Oct-19 18:48:12

I think the Queen is doing very well for her age. She walks better than I do, and she’s 13 years older than me. Her voice wasn’t quavery. I wondered if she felt fed up when she woke up and realised she had to get dressed up in all that finery and all those diamonds and read someone else’s silly words. I bet she’d rather have stayed at home in her tweeds and cashmere, reading the racing press.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 18:47:19

Oh well.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:31:56

Gonegirl I vow to thee my country and Jerusalem remind me of my schooldays and brings a tear to my eye when I hear them ??

Jaxie Tue 15-Oct-19 18:16:27

Anyone see the cartoon in Tuesday's Guardian? It shows a flunkey collecting horse manure from the route of the royal procession and depositing in the Queen's upside down crown. Which, as Paddyann will surely agree says it all. It's time we went Republic and had a true democracy instead of this farce with hypocritical kowtowing to an unelected bunch of royal millionaires.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 18:12:04

crusty mob.....oh dear.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 18:10:49

Nobody puts Pip in the corner.
That made me giggle gfp
Very good!