Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen’s Speech today

(126 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 09:36:14

Pomp and

Her Majesty will be reading out the Government’s programme for the next 12 months with no real expectation on the part of her ministers that any of the proferred legislation will be enacted.

When the Queen says today that “my Government will” introduce this statute or amend that law, everyone will know the chances of it doing so are vanishingly small.

Amid all the defections and suspensions of Conservative MPs, Boris Johnson is at least 40 votes short of a majority and could well lose the main division on the Queen’s Speech, the first prime minister to do so in almost 100 years.

But the reality behind today’s announcements is that, until there is a general election, a new Parliament and a conclusion to Brexit, the current political paralysis will continue!

JessK Mon 14-Oct-19 09:53:17

I think if I were the Queen I would have a diplomatic cold. She must be cringing thinking about our so called government.

trisher Mon 14-Oct-19 10:01:45

It's a minor miracle that she manages to keep a straight face. I suppose it's years of practice, but really this is worse than a stage farce.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:08:00

None of it will be enacted.

Party political broadcast. They just as well make use of it to advertise what they say they are going to do if they are elected.

Of course all of it is questionable, given the parlous state of the economy and the worsening situation after Brexit.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:09:19

We all know that there is an easy solution?

Unfortunately the opposition parties are cowards and are frightened of a General Election.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:14:21

An election before brexit would be ridiculous, as it would be all about Brexit.

We need brexit done and dusted one way or the other, then we can concentrate on a proper GE- remember those?

Focus on what needs doing to our neglected country.

paddyann Mon 14-Oct-19 10:26:27

As my news feed said,A rich old woman in amillion pound hat reading text from a goatskin parchment is about to tell us to pull in our belts again and that her government is about to take away most of the freedoms our families have grown up with.
I wont affect her overprivileged bunch of benefit scroungers though! They'll still carry on as normal ..and put their greedy paws out for more cash every year

trisher Mon 14-Oct-19 10:47:01

The opposition are not afraid of a GE. They simply don't see why Boris should be the one to set the date and don't want a No-deal Brexit. Once an extension is sorted they are ready.

Ramblingrose22 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:53:40

Agree with Whitewave and Trisher - what a farce.

The opposition parties are wise to be the ones who determine when the next election will be and show that the Prime Minister and his Government are accountable to Parliament where they do not have a majority.

But Boris Johnson and co. are not the least bit interested in democracy.

Didn't the Leave campaign urge that taking back control of Parliament is what is needed!?!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:04:52

Last time, the Queen wore the EU colours and not the Crown.

I wonder what she will do today to make her feelings felt.

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 11:23:46

Where do you get your newsfeed from * paddyann*? That's not the bbc is it? shock

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:33:20

Oh there we have it!!

Not wearing the crown

crystaltipps Mon 14-Oct-19 11:36:21

Just a party political broadcast on behalf of the Conservative party. No chance of doing any of it. So they can promise the moon on a stick.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:50:40

You are talking to those who have been brainwashed with nothing put back, trisher. They will just keep chiming out what they are told. They are certainly not put out by the act of gaining knowledge and understanding.

lemongrove Mon 14-Oct-19 11:54:31

Apparently the crown is too heavy for her now ( she is 93!)
So wore a royal diadem instead.
No EU hat today.?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:09:17

So pushing the Queen into making a party political broadcast to attract votes from the "hang 'm and flog 'm brigade. How low can they sink? (Don't answer that -I don't want to know).

EllanVannin Mon 14-Oct-19 12:15:01

Well that's that then. It won't make a scrap of difference.

BlueBelle Mon 14-Oct-19 12:17:06

I wish that lady would retire she looks such a little old soul now at 93 her little body is falling in on itself and she looked very pale Charles by contrast looked over ruddy
It’s all a farce a huge farce none of that will be accomplished she has been wheeled out to make the ‘government’ look bone fide, horrible that she should be brought in to prop up his lying contriving. act

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:29:06

He is so untrustworthy that assuming this will find its way onto his manifesto, we won’t be able to guarantee a thing he says.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:39:28

No wonder it was delivered in such a monotone.

She knew she was being used by that smug b....d.

The Queen must have had access to Kingfisher and yellowhammer plus countless other documents outlining the risks to her country.

She must feel so powerless

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:44:48

I hadn’t appreciated how much the Queen distrusts Johnson.

She had her lawyers go over the speech.

As it was I think the 31st October bit is dodgy considering the Queen upholds the law of the land and the Benn Act is law.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 13:49:29

I’m glad the Queen was able to ride in the State Coach to open Parliament. It was said that she might have to use an armoured car because of the crusty mob making a nuisance of themselves. I bet the Queen said "No. I go in the State Coach as usual".

MaizieD Mon 14-Oct-19 14:22:41

It was said that she might have to use an armoured car

Good God, Ug, what strange things you read.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:23:22

Did you expect her to walk ug

I hadn’t realised that she was in such danger. You sound like part of Priti Patel’s mob.

BlueBelle Mon 14-Oct-19 14:41:31

‘Crusty mob’ are you using the ‘unwise’ ones words
There seem to be as many elderly and professional people worrying about the state of the planet as ‘crusties’