Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big march dilemma

(39 Posts)
SummerJ Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:54

We believe very strongly in the need for another vote and debating whether to join the big march on Saturday. We have never been on one and this would incur considerable personal expense! I am not prepared to get into the actual Brexit debate on this forum but, although I believe you should follow your convictions, I do question the value of a march? Does it really make a difference? Does it wind people up? Do the media, or indeed MPs, pay any attention when there are huge numbers of good hearted people registering their discontent? Will it attract those out to cause trouble on either side of the debate? Too many questions and unable to make a decision - my head hurts!

growstuff Sat 19-Oct-19 21:36:22

notanan Leavers don't have to have changed their minds. However, it can't be denied that the electorate has changed over the last three years. A few million have died and a similar number are now old enough to vote. It's also know that a number who didn't vote last time would vote if given a second chance.

The "new" voters are those whose lives will be affected most because, statistically, they have more years to live.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 21:29:32

The pro-EU protesters are peaceful folk.

Dinahmo Sat 19-Oct-19 21:25:42

I was too ill to go on the Iraq march but my DH was playing in one of the samba bands. Although the government took little notice at the time those who opposed the war have been vindicated.

Apparently 1 million people marched today and there were no arrests.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 19:10:06

Jeremy Corbyn’s three most senior colleagues broke with their leader to declare Labour a Remain party, as they were cheered at the giant Westminster rally for a Final Say referendum on Brexit.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, and Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, all made clear Labour’s determination to keep the UK in the European Union.

The speeches prompted chants of ‘Where’s Jeremy Corbyn?’ – to the tune of The White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army, the very chant that symbolised his shock resurgence at the 2017 general election.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-march-labour-second-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-emily-thornberry-a9163181.html

Eloethan Wed 16-Oct-19 00:17:20

I've been on several marches. I'm not sure that it makes a difference but, if nothing else, it gives like-minded people some reassurance that they are not alone in feeling as they do.

Personally, I am very pleased that I marched against the invasion of Iraq. It didn't appear to make much difference but I'm glad that I showed my visible opposition to an action that has caused death and misery to several million people.

rosecarmel Tue 15-Oct-19 20:54:44

Marches/large gatherings make a difference- Changes may start off small, take shape in unexpected ways, but continue to grow-

From the first day of Arab Spring to today many shifts and changes have taken place- People are realizing what they need and it isnt what corporations and governments are offering-

MaizieD Tue 15-Oct-19 20:39:58

The government isnt there to pander to whoever shouts loudest.

Well, that's not entirely true. I have seen it claimed that we can't turn back now because there would be rioting from the Leavers...

They haven't even shouted loudly yet, just threatened.

Problem with Remain protests is that they are utterly peaceful. Not the loudest shouters at all. Mind you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 20:36:34

No no - that can’t be right, it’s obvious that leaving is going to be absolutely brilliant (once we’ve got past these bumps in the road in mumble mumble years time)

MaizieD Tue 15-Oct-19 20:34:26

If the march was people who DID vote leave but NOW want remain, that might have more clout.

There are plenty of them going on the march according to my twitter feed.

The polls are all saying that more people want to remain than leave. So some must have changed their minds...

I don't know any leave or remainers who would vote differently if the vote was repeated tomorrow.

That doesn't mean they don't exist. I know some.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 20:31:22

Many many ex-leave voters have seen the light.

www.remainernow.com/

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 20:30:25

If anything the Leave vote will have increased now that we can all see how much better off we’ll be, free from the shackles of the EU with Boris in charge - there’s really nothing to be afraid of notanan

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:29:18

simples indeed - they don't want to, because they know how it would go. Frit.

Labaik Tue 15-Oct-19 20:27:50

Well, give us a second vote and find out; simples....

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:27:11

This march is the "I haven't changed my mind but you should" march.

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:26:28

Its not leavers saying "Ive changed my mind! Let me vote again!"

Its remainers who havent changed their minds (wrongly) saying that leavers WOULD change their minds in a second vote.....

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:23:25

nonanan2 - agree with you that our government isn't there to pander to whoever shouts the loudest but, we do know more now than we did then ( I voted the same way you did of course)

Like what?

I don't know any leave or remainera who would vote differently if the vote was repeated tomorrow.

If the march was people who DID vote leave but NOW want remain, that might have more clout.

But it wont be. It'll be remainers who are still remain who want to vote remain again. What would that change? Nothing!

Labaik Tue 15-Oct-19 20:22:26

Yes; you should go. I'm travelling on a coach this time with our local LibDems; the coach has been arranged by a local Conservative councillor. If you don't want the expense of travelling by train there are coaches leaving from most towns albeit probably fully booked now. There was a lady on facebook the other day asking people to put her mum's name on their banners as her mum, who has been on all the previous marches is now unable to do this one as her condition has deteriorated [aggressive brain tumour].I found that heartbreaking. Most of the people I know that went on previous marches can't go on this one; not because they don't want to but circumstances prevent it, so it's important that those of us that can, do go. SODEM had a torrid time yesterday, being outnumbered by thugs, and said it was quite nasty but they make a point of not engaging with them, and they need our support. Because of that I am afeared that there will be trouble but I have to go.

onlyruth Tue 15-Oct-19 19:52:36

I've been on the Brexit marches. I was far from convinced they'd make any difference, but I needed to put my anger somewhere. And yes, say 'not in my name'.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 19:48:53

Please go on the march. I went on the last one in March but I'm sorry I can't do this next one.

The atmosphere was fantastic. Between 1 and 2 million lovely people peacefully demonstrating to hold a People's vote and allow the majority who have been totally ignored for the last two and a half years to vote to protect our future by remaining in the EU.

Next Saturday could be the turning point in leading our nation away from this brexit madness.

Namsnanny Tue 15-Oct-19 19:25:16

I agree with notanan

Oopsminty Tue 15-Oct-19 19:25:15

If you want to go, go.

I'm not sure much will come of it but you can say you were there.

absthame Tue 15-Oct-19 19:22:53

If you don't stand-up and say “not in my name” it will be a burden when they do things in your name.

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 19:21:13

I don’t think they serve to change opinions on an issue and they can cause a lot of inconvenience which in turn can reduce support.

OTOH people taking part get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction in being part of a movement, so go for it!

Iam64 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:04:00

My last Big March was against the invasion of Iraq. Not in my Name we said. We were right of course. It was the wrong thing to do, on so very many levels. As those marching all said, we will regret this and live with the consequences into future generations.

I've been away during the recent marches about Brexit. I support the People's March and say yes, we shouldn't lose our political commitment, we should use our right to protest even if our politicians ignore us.

nonanan2 - agree with you that our government isn't there to pander to whoever shouts the loudest but, we do know more now than we did then ( I voted the same way you did of course)

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:57:14

Ive been on marches. In the past. I wouldnt now

The feeling of solidarity is nice.

The sentiment is a bit off IMO. The government isnt there to pander to whoever shouts loudest. We have had a vote on brexit. (It didnt go "my" way BTW)