Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big march dilemma

(38 Posts)
SummerJ Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:54

We believe very strongly in the need for another vote and debating whether to join the big march on Saturday. We have never been on one and this would incur considerable personal expense! I am not prepared to get into the actual Brexit debate on this forum but, although I believe you should follow your convictions, I do question the value of a march? Does it really make a difference? Does it wind people up? Do the media, or indeed MPs, pay any attention when there are huge numbers of good hearted people registering their discontent? Will it attract those out to cause trouble on either side of the debate? Too many questions and unable to make a decision - my head hurts!

EllanVannin Tue 15-Oct-19 13:47:47

I don't do marches for anything. They only encourage trouble.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 13:56:13

No point. It makes a difference. I wait for the ballot box.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 13:56:35

*never - ha!

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 14:07:29

It's got to be a good thing when people en masse show their political feelings. Anyone who feels strongly enough, and can manage it, should go for it.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 14:11:14

In fact I think this country would go to the dogs if everyone meekly accepted everything those in authority decided upon.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Oct-19 14:33:06

Definitely exercise your democratic right to peaceful demonstration.

You will find the people friendly, witty and peaceful.

You will be glad you took part in something to show how many want a confirmatory vote.

Ilovecheese Tue 15-Oct-19 14:49:43

I suppose some of us look back to the marches against going to war with Iraq and remember that even those enormous numbers of people marching made no difference because the Govt and the main opposition party were determined to go ahead.

I feel that this situation is slightly different because the Govt is not in a strong position having lost so many of their own M.P.s and it would appear that a large number of Members of Parliament of their own and other parties would agree with the aims of the march. Possible leading to the march having some influence.

Another thing is that if you feel strongly about this, would you always regret not making your feelings clear, so that if you did not join the march, would there always be a niggle in the back of your mind that you should have joined the march, never mind the expense?

If your grandchildren or great grandchildren ask you about this in the future, what answer would you rather give them, that you did go, or that you didn't?

MaizieD Tue 15-Oct-19 15:53:09

Go for it, Summerj.

crystaltipps Tue 15-Oct-19 15:55:55

I’m going - see you there.

silverlining48 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:58:03

If as you say you believe very strongly then go for it. I have marched against HSL and being with so many others who feel similarly is quite powerful. Also protested at Greenham ( just the once as it was a long way to go) which my AC are quite proud of, as am I. Make your voice heard. It’s called democracy.

SummerJ Tue 15-Oct-19 18:30:26

Thank you gransnetters - with your encouragement you have really helped. I think the comment that Ilovecheese made with reference to 'grandchildren' hit the mark as did comments about our rights to peaceful demonstration. I feel that so many people might not in a position to go and sometimes you should go the extra mile - in our case a couple of hundred - to voice your concerns. Hopefully it will attract over a million people and we will make every effort to join them!

grannyactivist Tue 15-Oct-19 18:50:07

SummerJ you will see by my name that I do believe activism makes a difference; at the very least it has made a difference to me. Some years ago I was challenged about my (very strong) views regarding various life inequalities by someone who asked me if I actually do anything about the things that concerned me and it was a much needed wake up call. I have always been proactive in making personal life choices that make a difference (fostering, housing homeless people etc.), but I began writing letters, making phone calls, signing petitions - and yes - going on marches.

Do the politicians listen?
Occasionally.
Are changes made because I challenge decisions?
Yes, sometimes they are.
Do I get frustrated? Constantly
Is it worth the time, effort, travel and money?
Always - because I need to maintain my own integrity in standing up for the things I believe in.

Sadly, I am not well enough to join in this weekend's march and The Wonderful Man will be going without me, but I shall be cheering him on and will pay for an extra ticket so someone who can't afford the fare can go in my place. He's marching with the Devon crowd so give him a wave if you see him SummerJ.smile

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:57:14

Ive been on marches. In the past. I wouldnt now

The feeling of solidarity is nice.

The sentiment is a bit off IMO. The government isnt there to pander to whoever shouts loudest. We have had a vote on brexit. (It didnt go "my" way BTW)

Iam64 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:04:00

My last Big March was against the invasion of Iraq. Not in my Name we said. We were right of course. It was the wrong thing to do, on so very many levels. As those marching all said, we will regret this and live with the consequences into future generations.

I've been away during the recent marches about Brexit. I support the People's March and say yes, we shouldn't lose our political commitment, we should use our right to protest even if our politicians ignore us.

nonanan2 - agree with you that our government isn't there to pander to whoever shouts the loudest but, we do know more now than we did then ( I voted the same way you did of course)

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 19:21:13

I don’t think they serve to change opinions on an issue and they can cause a lot of inconvenience which in turn can reduce support.

OTOH people taking part get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction in being part of a movement, so go for it!

absthame Tue 15-Oct-19 19:22:53

If you don't stand-up and say “not in my name” it will be a burden when they do things in your name.

Oopsminty Tue 15-Oct-19 19:25:15

If you want to go, go.

I'm not sure much will come of it but you can say you were there.

Namsnanny Tue 15-Oct-19 19:25:16

I agree with notanan

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 19:48:53

Please go on the march. I went on the last one in March but I'm sorry I can't do this next one.

The atmosphere was fantastic. Between 1 and 2 million lovely people peacefully demonstrating to hold a People's vote and allow the majority who have been totally ignored for the last two and a half years to vote to protect our future by remaining in the EU.

Next Saturday could be the turning point in leading our nation away from this brexit madness.

onlyruth Tue 15-Oct-19 19:52:36

I've been on the Brexit marches. I was far from convinced they'd make any difference, but I needed to put my anger somewhere. And yes, say 'not in my name'.

Labaik Tue 15-Oct-19 20:22:26

Yes; you should go. I'm travelling on a coach this time with our local LibDems; the coach has been arranged by a local Conservative councillor. If you don't want the expense of travelling by train there are coaches leaving from most towns albeit probably fully booked now. There was a lady on facebook the other day asking people to put her mum's name on their banners as her mum, who has been on all the previous marches is now unable to do this one as her condition has deteriorated [aggressive brain tumour].I found that heartbreaking. Most of the people I know that went on previous marches can't go on this one; not because they don't want to but circumstances prevent it, so it's important that those of us that can, do go. SODEM had a torrid time yesterday, being outnumbered by thugs, and said it was quite nasty but they make a point of not engaging with them, and they need our support. Because of that I am afeared that there will be trouble but I have to go.

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:23:25

nonanan2 - agree with you that our government isn't there to pander to whoever shouts the loudest but, we do know more now than we did then ( I voted the same way you did of course)

Like what?

I don't know any leave or remainera who would vote differently if the vote was repeated tomorrow.

If the march was people who DID vote leave but NOW want remain, that might have more clout.

But it wont be. It'll be remainers who are still remain who want to vote remain again. What would that change? Nothing!

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:26:28

Its not leavers saying "Ive changed my mind! Let me vote again!"

Its remainers who havent changed their minds (wrongly) saying that leavers WOULD change their minds in a second vote.....

notanan2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:27:11

This march is the "I haven't changed my mind but you should" march.