Gransnet forums

News & politics

Commuters Fight Back

(153 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:31:37

XR have targeted the tube in London this morning, DLR at Canning Town and Shadwell.

They want people to use public transport not cars..........so they target public transport stopping law abiding citizens getting to work.

I think this action has lost them support from the general public.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:29:44

I agree Oopsminty. Glad to hear other XR'ers have called them out over this.

Jaycee5 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:32:35

Protest should be effective and have a clear aim.
Making it difficult to use public transport in what is claimed to be an environmental protest is just idiocy.
They also say that they are targetting businesses when they protest in the City but they treat all businesses the same.
With this kind of protest, it is about drawing attention to the issue - but there has to be a step 2 once they have people's attention and they seem to be stuck on the getting attention stage.
Now it needs to be very focused protests, policy suggestions and targetting politicians who are most likely to be naturally on that side.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:43:14

They are waiting for the gov to fulfil their 3 aims

ie. Declare climate and ecological emergency. (Tell the truth)

Set up Citizen's Assemblies.

Can't remember the other one. Something about, get away from carbon based fuels.

Oopsminty Thu 17-Oct-19 12:47:34

I think they want us to be carbon emission free by 2025.

Which I don't believe is doable

But I'm no scientist/expert

Apart from anything else, we talk, rightly, about China. But how much of our 'stuff' actually comes from China? Quite a lot I think.

So in a way it's misleading to discuss who has the 'best' carbon footprint etc etc

We are all guilty of purchasing items made from all 4 corners of the globe.

Not that it has corners.

But we have to accept responsibility for that as well.

It's very complex but it does appear that we're starting to do something about it

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:50:36

That's it Minty!

suzied Thu 17-Oct-19 13:28:49

I was on a Grandparents demo to draw attention to climate change the other day. We had a banner, leaflets, lots had brought grandchildren. A nice friendly atmosphere, we chatted to passers by and the police were happy for us to stay where we were ( central London). Guess what - didn't get a mention in the media. This underground stunt got loads of coverage. I don't agree with it but its the extreme stunts which are getting attention.

4allweknow Thu 17-Oct-19 14:05:44

Lost support after a couple of days if their demonstrations. Think the great majority of the adult population gets their message but I have yet to hear their solution to the situation. Once I have information on how they propose sorting out the world I may give them support.

Lizzle10 Thu 17-Oct-19 14:13:06

I saw a local hippy lady had taken her kids to the woods to support RX and live by nature for 2 weeks also reducing her carbon foot print by not driving for 2 weeks but has happily lived in gas guzzling converted vehicles for many years travelling around . She says she’s done this as an alternative to taking her children to London to protest as she doesn’t want them exposed to 5G . In the next breath she says she’s going to take them around the UK in a horse drawn caravan and will publish her travels via a blog on line . Guess she’ll be needing you use some Gs for this. All rather hypercritical in my opinion .

suzied Thu 17-Oct-19 14:31:25

What would a climate change protester who was not deemed by the sneerers to be hypocritical look like? Well they'd have to live in the woods, drink rainwater and grow all their own food, generate their own electricity and walk everywhere. I guess cycling may be acceptable, although Im sure that would gain a heap of criticism. Wake up folks, its the 21st century, climate protesters are not wanting a return to the stone age, rather we should much more aware of the damage we are doing and strive or even be coerced in some instances to reduce this damage- guess what you don't have to be perfect - its better if millions of us are imperfectly trying to live a greener lifestyle than we find one perfect person who we won't ever hear about as they wouldn't be able to walk to every demo.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 14:55:01

Shouting the loudest doesn't mean living the greenest.

hallgreenmiss Thu 17-Oct-19 15:00:42

XR think that stopping people from using public transport is the best way to get people to use public transport!!!!
I wonder how many of those who couldn't get to work on time today will get into their car tomorrow.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Oct-19 15:04:50

hallgreenmiss I know of at least 3 people who will drive to Canary Wharf tomorrow as they need to be in on time!!

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 15:31:14

Have they not got bikes?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Oct-19 15:41:03

Gonegirl One will be on a motorbike the other two in cars, one of which is a "gas guzzler" the other is "eco-friendly".

We are 25 miles away from Canary Wharf, not realistic or safe to "cycle" on the "A" road.

Some people have a job whereby they need to be in their office, unlike XR activists who seem able to take as many days off as they like. Or are they all unemployed or students missing classes/lectures.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 15:55:06

The voice of "the people"

youtu.be/9P1UXYS6Bmg

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 15:58:21

Animalistic instincts take over. Never far away are they?

pinkquartz Thu 17-Oct-19 16:19:41

I really believe it is more constructive to make the effort to shop local produce.
I don't just mean food.
Also items make in the UK.
Much more constructive than stopping people from getting to work.

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Oct-19 16:29:53

Actually, having watched the above YouTube link, it was interesting that the protester was the first to launch a kick at the head of the guy who tried to get him off the train roof.

I am all for making a great effort, I agree that we all have to do something, but agree with those who say that this is not the way to do it.

Before I am shouted at, I haven't flown for 10 years, drive less than 5,000 miles p.a., don't eat meat, don't use single-use plastic, buy as little as possible, don't have wardrobes full of stuff, recycle as much as possible.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 16:32:07

If you were about to be pulled down onto your back from the top of a tube train, wouldn't you kick out?

Sorry, but the animals took over.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 16:33:30

You won't do much to help save the planet your grandchildren have to live on like that rosequarz.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 16:34:14

I couldn't really say, because I've never felt the need, nor had the time to stand on top of a train looking gormless.
I can do that on the ground. grin

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 16:34:31

pinkquarz!

janipat Thu 17-Oct-19 16:40:41

If you were about to be pulled down onto your back from the top of a tube train, wouldn't you kick out?

At somebody's head?! No I wouldn't, especially if I called myself a "peaceful protestor"

EllanVannin Thu 17-Oct-19 16:55:10

What a joke ! I wonder what their recycling habits are like ?

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:59:24

Gonegirl Quote [ Animalistic instincts take over. Never far away are they?] End Quote.

Yes, Animalistic instincts do take over Gonegirl, especially if you are a worker who does not get paid unless you actually get to your place of work.

Employees on zero-hour contracts do not get paid when they do not arrive.

Employees on Gig economy terms of employment do not get paid until they actually do work.

Employees on "Bradford System" absentee procedure can find disciplinary points being placed against them even when the lateness or absence was in no way their fault.

Small business owners gain no income whatsoever unless they are able to actually open their businesses.

Those are just a few of the groups who could be hard hit by action such as today's desire to create chaos.

Such action will undoubtedly bring about " animalistic instinct" when someone prevents the above groups without warning from reaching their place of work they earn their income from or secure their employment by attendance too.

I am normally a placid person in normal life, but in the circumstances those commuters were faced with today, my reaction could well be "get the stupid B*stards."