Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are we still influenced by WW2?

(29 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 20-Oct-19 14:03:10

I and my DH were discussing this morning when a "Rejoin the EU" party might start. He concluded that it would be unlikely to succeed until our generation had died out. The reason for his opinion is that we are too influenced by the events of WW2. There has been so much rhetoric from the leavers that is war related and the vast majority of those were born during or after the war and so cannot remember it. However, our parents' generation often reminisced about the war and this may have affected our thinking about our relationship with Europe.

My father was too young for WW2 and was called up and did his military service in Palestine and his father, who worked for Marconi, was involved in communications so neither talked about the war. My FIL volunteered for the navy and was on destroyers throughout the war. His ship was turned into an hospital ship for the D Day landings. He kept a diary and talked often about various events.

We have a neighbour here in France and when we celebrated her 90th birthday, 5 years ago, she sang some wartime songs and reminisced about the good times and the fun she had. (Before some of you pounce, I am aware that good times were not had by all)

A good example of a rhetorician is, of course, Mark Francois. Born in 1965, 20 years after the end of the war and yet constantly referring to his father's war time exploits.

What do you think?

mcem Tue 22-Oct-19 09:41:33

My father spent his 21st birthday on a Dunkirk beach. Part of the 8th army he was fully invol ed in WW2. He was a real europhile, enjoyed travel, spent time learni g French and Italian. Very pro eu and I know he would have voted to remain. Obviously I (born 1948) was influenced by his opinions and outlook.
So yes WW2 has been a very positive factor in my voting choices.

Blinko Tue 22-Oct-19 09:59:17

Both my parents served throughout WWII. My mother spoke of her positive experiences and the cameraderie working with other WAAFs on communications in Plymouth.

My father at 19 was a tank driver. He went through Normandy having landed on the beaches in June 1944. He was wounded three times and patched up then sent back to the front. He rarely mentioned his experiences.

I wonder whether we were taught (or simply 'caught' through observation) the 'stiff upper lip' behaviour of our forebears. They just got on with it.

They must have experienced what's now called PTSD. How did a whole generation manage that?

I wonder whether it has rubbed off on some of our generation when we may not be comfortable sharing feelings or showing emotion.

Davidhs Tue 22-Oct-19 12:04:14

In the U.K. we have a different attitude to those in continental Europe, the original idea of the “Common Market” was to prevent future wars by having common objectives and open borders.
A lot of British lives were lost both military and civilian but the suffering in Europe under Nazi occupation was much worse. We did not fear the knock on the door at night or being sent to slave labour camps, that is why Europe is much more enthusiastic about the EU.
My parents often recounted their wartime memories, neither endured bombing or combat so they were not really tragic stories. My own views have been much more affected by visits to Holland and Berlin in the 1960s when the devastation was still apparent and the stories told by those I met at that time.
Those who did military service dont seem to say much, although on two occasions at funerals the obituary has told a story. In one case, a good friend of fathers was a Japanese POW on the Burma railway. Another served under Montgomery in the desert then came back to Europe and ended up clearing out the concentration camps, both horrible and we all had no idea.