Gransnet forums

News & politics

Referendum Voters

(16 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Oct-19 17:05:44

In excess of 12 million of the electorate didn't vote in the 2016 Referendum. It would be interesting to hear from those who didn't vote their reasons for not voting at that time and whether they now regret not voting. If they had voted what would their choice have been?

I have heard that many young people registered to vote but thought that was all they need to do.

mcem Tue 22-Oct-19 17:16:06

I can tell you about 2.
One had just moved from Scotland to Wales and wasn't registered in time. She now is but has not decided how she'd vote given the chance.
Most likely to be Remain but in a very pro Leave area.
Her sister was too young but is now registered and would vote Remain.
(I realise this is relevant only in terms of a 2nd referendum.)

Fiachna50 Tue 22-Oct-19 17:34:15

Dinahmo, I know only one lady who did not vote. Reason being she told me she really did not know what to do, so abstained.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Oct-19 18:43:31

I hope the 12 million don’t grumble about the result.
If young people registered to vote, thinking that was all they had to do, heaven help us! Does not bode well for how interested they are in the future of their country.

Labaik Tue 22-Oct-19 22:00:23

I wasn't particularly interested in politics until I had my children and wanted the world to be a better place for their sake. And I think younger people assume that people older and wiser will do what's best for the country and them.

SirChenjin Tue 22-Oct-19 22:26:45

My dad (78) and MiL (88) didn’t vote because they a)didn’t know it all meant and b)didn’t really think it would affect them.

grannyticktock Tue 22-Oct-19 22:33:46

There are probably about three million young adults now who didn't vote in the 2016 referendum because they were too young, but are now of voting age. They deserve to have a vote now.

M0nica Tue 22-Oct-19 22:52:40

Sadly the proportion of young people voting is much lower than the proportion of older people who vote (and I do not just mean people over 50).

I sometimes wonder when I hear younger people complaining about older people voting leave, whether they and their friends and university/workmates actually voted themselves. It is clear mainy of them didn't.

How many of the many new young voters will actually vote, if, as is likely, there is an election before Christmas.

grannyticktock Wed 23-Oct-19 16:03:35

I think the next time there is an election or a referendum, we will see a much greater vote from younger people.

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 16:35:34

That is what they said before the referendum and the last election but the votes did not materialise. Why should it be different this time. Especially as the conduct of Parliament and politicians has been so bad recently.

Nonnie Wed 23-Oct-19 17:09:58

I think we have a duty to vote. Over the years there have been a few times I was undecided of the right thing to so so I wrote I ABSTAIN right across the paper. I do wish that was on the paper so we can show we are responsible citizens.

Could we have a rule that if you have been eligible to vote for 5 years and failed to do so you are prohibited for the next five years? Perhaps then people would appreciate the right to vote.

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 17:16:16

Many people, in interviews say they have never voted. I do not think if you haven't voted, being banned from voting will have any effect those banned would have had no intention of voting anyway.

I am opposed to compulsory voting as well. If voting was compulsory I would refuse to vote.

However, if you do not vote you have no right to complain about any government policy or initiative, no matter how awful or even illegal.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Oct-19 18:58:03

Nonnie

Writing ‘ I Abstain’ on your voting paper achieves nothing. Just another spoiled ballot paper.

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 21:50:21

If you go into vote,no matter what you write on the paper you will be ticked off as having voted and your form will be part of the tally of those who have voted.

MaizieD Wed 23-Oct-19 22:36:38

I absolutely do not see the point of not voting.

Nonnie Thu 24-Oct-19 11:33:08

Calendargirl Wed 23-Oct-19 18:58:03 thank you for explaining that, I would never have known!!!