(49 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Oct-19 13:09:40

Looks almost certain.

Odds

Tories -10/11
Hung - evens
Labour- 16/1

Nonnie Thu 31-Oct-19 11:25:57

I am going to ignore the manifestos and promises they won't keep because they can be voted out within a maximum of 5 years. Brexit will last forever so I am looking at the longer term.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:35:22

Still let’s hope her ex-seat is still in danger of being lost by the Tories.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:34:30

Oh I haven’t read anything today.

Thanks for that ginny

Ginny42 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:29:43

Amber Rudd isn't standing, neither is Rory Stewart or David Lidington.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 10:14:31

witzend ?

Rudd’s seat in danger hopefully

Witzend Wed 30-Oct-19 10:12:25

Well, I know one Tory seat that will definitely go to the LDs next time - ours. Strong Remain area, always either Tory or LD - Labour come nowhere - and our MP only scraped in by a whisker last time.
Although I certainly don't agree with him on everything he is actually a good constituency MP - shame he's not someone we'd dearly love to see the back of.

Nonnie Wed 30-Oct-19 10:02:42

Does anyone know if all EU citizens vote in their home country if they live in another part of the EU?

Calendargirl Tue 29-Oct-19 19:29:42

Just been watching an interview with Tony Blair. He seemed appalled that JC had agreed to an election, and when pressed on whether he would rather see Boris or Jeremy in number 10, he waffled and pontificated, eventually stating flatly not Boris, but also never endorsing Jeremy.

Nice to know who your friends are when you need ‘em!

Ginny42 Tue 29-Oct-19 17:44:11

Many young people are very knowledgeable about what's going on in politics and can articulate their opinions far more eloquently than many adults. They should have the vote from the age of 16 imv as we are after all voting over issues relating to their future.

Similarly whether to permit voting rights for EU citizens living, working and paying taxes in the UK, I can think of no good reason why we would be pleased to accept their labour and their taxes for the good of the country, but not allow them to vote on the future of the country. As said upthread, thousands have lived here for many years and have family, children and grandchildren here.

MaizieD Tue 29-Oct-19 17:29:03

I understand that Cameron had the extension of voting rights to all UK citizens abroad, regardless of how long they'd been absent, in his 2015 tory manifesto. Such a shame he broke that promise...

Fennel Tue 29-Oct-19 17:23:24

I know that Mokryna . We were in the same position and couldn't vote in the 2016 referendum. And were still paying UK taxes.
Still are, now back in the UK.

mokryna Tue 29-Oct-19 17:15:56

Fennel
Some of us have been away for a very long time but still pay UK taxes.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Oct-19 17:12:53

mokryna

??

mokryna Tue 29-Oct-19 17:10:25

Please let me vote, I do pay my taxes in the UK.

Fennel Tue 29-Oct-19 17:09:15

Nonnie UK citizens living in another part of the EU can vote in UK elections until they've been away more than 15 years.
That's the current law, as far as I know.

Nonnie Tue 29-Oct-19 17:05:29

Can all EU citizens vote in their home country if they live in another part of the EU?

Fennel Tue 29-Oct-19 16:59:07

Good point SirChenjin [wink}

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 16:52:06

It works well up here Fennel but let’s not pretend it’s only 16 and 17 year olds who need educating.

Fennel Tue 29-Oct-19 16:45:55

I can see the point in young people being given the vote. It's their future which is at stake, but they do need to be educated to it.
One very good programme which exists in France is the election in Lycees of representatives to a debating forum, on the lines of the main french Govt. system.
Can't find a link but I know it exists.

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Oct-19 16:44:23

Purely and simply because brits in Europe can’t vote in their general elections only local ones. Surely that’s fair?

MaizieD Tue 29-Oct-19 16:39:55

If commonwealth citizens, whatever their residential status in the UK, can vote in GEs why not EU nationals, who have lived here, as of right, worked, bought property and brought up children, for many years?

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 16:39:05

It would be a bad idea to rush through legislation to allow 16 year olds to vote at any time, let alone just now.
EU nationals have no rights to vote in GE’s and it entirely cynical for Labour to try and push this ( why they would anyway is beyond me, because EU nationals would vote for the Lib Dems.)

MaizieD Tue 29-Oct-19 16:37:06

There'd certainly be none of this mess, lemon...

crystaltipps Tue 29-Oct-19 16:36:17

Why should EU nationals be allowed to vote in local elections but not other elections? If they they live and work here then surely they have an interest in how the country is run.

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 16:35:02

In that case WWM2 that would only have seen you and trisher and MaizieD and SirC doing the voting......everyone else in the country would be assessed as being too thick I expect.?????