Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reasons not to vote for Johnson

(42 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:16:43

Boris Johnson's Brexit deal punches £70bn hole in UK economy - the size of Wales

"We don't expect there to be a 'deal dividend' at all", one expert declared

Dinahmo Thu 31-Oct-19 22:22:16

REason - Trump's support. Did anyone see that the orange one telephoned Farage whilst his LBC programme was being broadcast. Trump was as mindless as usual.

Anniebach Thu 31-Oct-19 09:10:29

Johnson or Corbyn ? Do you want to be shot or hanged ?

Oopsminty Thu 31-Oct-19 08:14:46

Oopsminty -tin hat on then!

Absolutely, MawB! At a very jaunty angle

varian Thu 31-Oct-19 08:08:17

It was a rhetorical question. I know there are people who do not seem to care whether the country is poorer or less secure as long as they "win"

Amagran Thu 31-Oct-19 01:30:30

I have just seen the results of a YouGov poll of Tory party members from July (not sure how I missed it - maybe the Tories tried to bury it). It found that the majority of Tory party members support a return of the death penalty and also think that Donald Trump would make a good PM for us. A majority also think that Islam is a threat to the British way of life.

When asked about re-introducing the death penalty for certain crimes, Johnson refused to rule it out.

Definitely not a party I could ever support.

Amagran Thu 31-Oct-19 00:43:36

varian, are you really asking...…….?! You know you won't like the answer.

varian Wed 30-Oct-19 22:18:34

If we "get brexit done" with Johnson's withdrawal deal we will be £70 billion per year worse off. Who would vote for that?

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 21:53:38

Oopsminty -tin hat on then! ? ? ? ?

Jaycee5 Wed 30-Oct-19 21:33:52

absthame
No it's Wales.
Large objects are either
a) as big as 2 double decker buses; or
b) 2 football pitches; or
c) Wales.
Anything else is anarchy.

gmarie Wed 30-Oct-19 21:24:09

True, Pantglas, I think that people who run for high office must start off with an inflated sense of self to some degree. As I look at the whole group and pare down, OUT are those who are persistently, primarily and/or exceptionally:

1) intolerant/exclusionary (racists, misogynists, blatant classists, etc.)
2) abusive/divisive
3) self-serving (narcissists, liars, financial opportunists, etc.)
4) unscrupulous (apologists and cronies of the corrupt, lobbyists for those who put their financial bottom line over public welfare, etc.)
5) ignorant (science deniers, those who show no desire to learn about or understand the world around them)

Then I look at the focus and plans of each remaining candidate and go from there. Easy-peasy, right? grin It often ends up being a "lessor of two evils" type of thing but one can only work with what's available.

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 20:33:42

Thank you Amagran!

And I quite agree

Pantglas2 Wed 30-Oct-19 20:09:24

Ha ha Callistemon! I don’t understand how people think that any politicians are trustworthy- why are folks so blinkered that they believe any one party will be be brilliant and t’others will be bogging awful?

absthame Wed 30-Oct-19 20:03:09

Callistemon even this dyslexic noticed the missing H. Because they are the largest animal on the planet grin

Callistemon Wed 30-Oct-19 15:49:15

MawBroon grin

Why is everything all round the world compared to the size of Wales!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:18:41

Mike Galsworthy
@mikegalsworthy
Dear grandads & grandmas across the UK...

Why don’t you give your kids and grandkids a present this year that they’ll really appreciate...

And vote to #DitchBrexit

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 15:18:08

I wouldn't shoot you down in flames Oopsminty! smile

I quite like my dog, but I wouldn't want him as PM.....but if push came to shove...… and the choice was limited..... grin

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 15:09:05

At the risk of being shot down in flames I actually quite liked him.

His appearances on Have I Got News For You and shows of that ilk tickled me somewhat.

However, I believed him when he said "My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive."

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 15:03:50

I wouldn’t ask any of his exes then would you? grin

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:58:47

I'd be really interested to hear in anyone who actually does trust Boris, and their reasons?

grumppa Wed 30-Oct-19 14:53:40

I could never vote for a party that had chosen Boris as its leader. Mind you, I couldn't vote for one that had chosen Jeremy as its leader either.

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 14:36:30

Fair enough, growstuff

And I agree, Whitewavemark2, lots of things to consider.

Some people just vote the way they have always voted. I'm not a stickler for one party but there will be many who are

I'm unsure where my vote will be headed this time.

Just the thought of another election and all the campaigning fills me with dread to be honest . Well maybe not dread. But it's not going to be an average run up to Christmas

HildaW Wed 30-Oct-19 14:33:07

P.S. That being said we should vote....especially the women amongst us. By that I do not mean I would argue that we must all choose - but we must make a conscious decision to use our hard one votes. Scribble something rude on the ballot paper if you feel they are all numpties....but do not let the day pass without seriously thinking about it.

HildaW Wed 30-Oct-19 14:28:47

I still find it interesting that some people are able to separate those who a devious/dishonest etc but keep it hidden from those who are devious/dishonest but 'own' up to it from time to time when cornered.....as if one is somehow less venous than the other. I am not sure what the answer is but if someone is devious/dishonest either openly or secretly then I am never going to want to put them in charge of the tuck shop let alone the country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:25:35

oopsminty

Some may be tempted to vote for Johnson because of Brexit, even though they never normally vote Tory. But he comes with a package of other disasters which once he is in we can’t stop.

Before you throw away your vote on him think of the cost to the NHS, the care services, our farmers, our infrastructure, the poor, the failing education on and on - the list is endless.

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 14:23:56

BTW Sarah Wollaston (when she was a Tory MP) was one of the Tories I respected. She was always too outspoken and her own woman to be a frontbencher.