Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reasons not to vote for Johnson

(41 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:16:43

Boris Johnson's Brexit deal punches £70bn hole in UK economy - the size of Wales

"We don't expect there to be a 'deal dividend' at all", one expert declared

Jaycee5 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:18:33

I hope people are still concerned enough about the impact of unnecessary austerity measures to vote for a change of government.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:22:16

Jonathan Lis
@jonlis1

PM repeats his lie about how many new hospitals he’s building.

Your regular reminder that in Britain advertising for political parties faces less regulation than advertising for a jar of Marmite. Johnson is about to lie with impunity on billboards and TV for next 6 weeks. #PMQs

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 12:54:40

Should I not vote for Boris?

Let me count the ways
He is more cunning than a cunning wily fox
His ways are devious and his tongue is forked
He blusters like th’November wind
And shafts the Irish in a way unkind
I do not trust thee Boris J
The reasons why are plain to say
Thy bonhomie ‘‘tis fake at least
Frustrated it unlocks the beast
Of misogyny and philandering wont
E’en Bercow struggled to see thee stilled
One thing is worse, and that is Farage
I’d see him locked up in a garage

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 13:01:49

Love it MawB! grin grin grin

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 13:03:13

He treats the whole thing like a game. He couldn't give a stuff about the country, other people or values. He lies …

I think Maw just about covered many of my objections.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 13:06:04

Fan bloody tastic Maw.

dragonfly46 Wed 30-Oct-19 13:07:12

Brilliant Maw

ayse Wed 30-Oct-19 13:12:27

MawB, that says it all

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 13:20:53

Apologies to those of you who saw this on another thread and contributed so thoughtfully to that discussion. I just thought it might be relevant on this thread, too, given its title.

Just to reassure everyone, I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE!

I have got someone lined up to do a job for me in the house, well actually to install a new central heating system. He seems like a really nice guy, ever-so posh and a really good laugh. He told me first of all that I didn’t need a new heating system and then he changed his mind and is now most insistent that I do. He has promised me that he will get the job done quickly and has offered me a really good deal for it.

The thing is, I have asked around and found out that he has never actually completed any job to anyone’s satisfaction, has told one lie after another and is something of a ladies’ man. He is apparently being investigated for fraud in one job he did. His sister says she wouldn’t trust him and his brother won’t work with him.

He has promised me that he will get the job done by 31st October or he’ll die trying, but to be honest, some of the things he is planning to do to cut corners seem a little bit left of the law to me. He is also being very cagey and vague about some aspects of the job. I am also a bit concerned that he has not actually signed the quote he has given me. He wants a decision by December 12th.

Would you let this man into your house to do any work for you?

Sussexborn Wed 30-Oct-19 13:27:32

The biggest problem is that all of his competitors are equally shady and many are much sneakier and kept their misdeeds hidden. You could well end up being stabbed in the back by one of his competitors. No need for a boiler then but the funeral costs would probably be about the same amount.

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 13:30:29

A reason not to vote for Johnson would be if he wasn't your preferred political candidate. An ardent Labour/Lib Dem/Green voter wouldn't vote for him, would they?

MawB's response is far more entertaining though

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:15:42

maw. ???

BTW where is Farage?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:17:48

ames O'Brien
@mrjamesob

'Trust Boris Johnson, who has never knowingly told the truth in his life & even misled the Queen, to undo all the damage done to the country over the last nine years by the party he currently leads!'
It's quite a campaign platform.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:19:44

Someone who knows from the inside

Sarah Wollaston MP

Utter tripe for Tories to be claiming they want to ‘get Brexit done’ in order to get on with funding public services. Truth is they drastically cut public services even before they set out to deliberately and knowingly shrink our future economy.

Conservatives are going into #GE2019 actively campaigning to weaken the economy & make us poorer. Less funding available for NHS, schools, police, local services unless Johnson wants to raise borrowing.

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 14:20:05

Actually, Oopsminty I do have some respect for a handful of Tory MPs. I probably wouldn't vote for them, but it wouldn't bother me too much if one of them became PM.

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 14:23:56

BTW Sarah Wollaston (when she was a Tory MP) was one of the Tories I respected. She was always too outspoken and her own woman to be a frontbencher.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:25:35

oopsminty

Some may be tempted to vote for Johnson because of Brexit, even though they never normally vote Tory. But he comes with a package of other disasters which once he is in we can’t stop.

Before you throw away your vote on him think of the cost to the NHS, the care services, our farmers, our infrastructure, the poor, the failing education on and on - the list is endless.

HildaW Wed 30-Oct-19 14:28:47

I still find it interesting that some people are able to separate those who a devious/dishonest etc but keep it hidden from those who are devious/dishonest but 'own' up to it from time to time when cornered.....as if one is somehow less venous than the other. I am not sure what the answer is but if someone is devious/dishonest either openly or secretly then I am never going to want to put them in charge of the tuck shop let alone the country.

HildaW Wed 30-Oct-19 14:33:07

P.S. That being said we should vote....especially the women amongst us. By that I do not mean I would argue that we must all choose - but we must make a conscious decision to use our hard one votes. Scribble something rude on the ballot paper if you feel they are all numpties....but do not let the day pass without seriously thinking about it.

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 14:36:30

Fair enough, growstuff

And I agree, Whitewavemark2, lots of things to consider.

Some people just vote the way they have always voted. I'm not a stickler for one party but there will be many who are

I'm unsure where my vote will be headed this time.

Just the thought of another election and all the campaigning fills me with dread to be honest . Well maybe not dread. But it's not going to be an average run up to Christmas

grumppa Wed 30-Oct-19 14:53:40

I could never vote for a party that had chosen Boris as its leader. Mind you, I couldn't vote for one that had chosen Jeremy as its leader either.

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:58:47

I'd be really interested to hear in anyone who actually does trust Boris, and their reasons?

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 15:03:50

I wouldn’t ask any of his exes then would you? grin

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 15:09:05

At the risk of being shot down in flames I actually quite liked him.

His appearances on Have I Got News For You and shows of that ilk tickled me somewhat.

However, I believed him when he said "My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive."