Gransnet forums

News & politics

Which way do you think it's going to go?

(70 Posts)
grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 18:25:25

I reckon hung parliament. I am willing to bet 20p.

Your turn......

Firecracker123 Thu 31-Oct-19 12:22:24

Boris (who in my opinion is very charismatic) and the Conservatives will gain most seats but not enough to form a government but will join with Nigel Farage and The Brexit Party who will have taken Labour leave seats in the North, Midlands and Wales. Corbyn who has as much charisma as a dead fish lol will sink without a trace and hopefully take the dreadful undemocratic Swinson with him.

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 12:11:55

That’s right - we might not, we might lose more. Terrible state of affairs.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 12:07:23

Sorry posted instead of reviewed.......I did not say we would be better off, just not paying £280 million nett per week.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 12:05:54

sirchenjin your guess is as good as mine or any politician or civil servant.

Nonnie Thu 31-Oct-19 12:05:16

Well I think the time for trusting what is written in a manifesto is long gone. They will just keep out bidding each other with promises and expecting us to believe them, some will.

It is simple for me as LibDems stand a chance of beating our Conservative MP who is a waste of space.

As I have said on other threads, I think those of us who don't want Brexit should vote for whichever party will oust the Cons in our own constituency because Brexit is forever and a Government is not. We can vote them out in just over 4 years.

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 12:02:30

That’s what I asked you - as you seem absolutely certain that we’ll be better off each week taking everything into account. I’m curious to know by how much.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 12:00:04

sirchenjin It is £280 million nett that we now pay to the EU weekly for "free trade" and a "non Schengen customs union"

How much do non EU countries pay the EU for their "free trade" agreements?

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 11:41:40

But you can say for certain that taking everything into account being out of the EU won’t cost us more than £289 million per week?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:39:27

No idea sirchenjin I am not a member of the political elite.

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 11:37:40

Andrew Neil makes mincemeat of every politician he interviews. I think there’s enough nastiness in politics at the moment without adding him to the mix.

How much will this continued co-operation cost us Granny? A rough figure will do.

Yehbutnobut Thu 31-Oct-19 10:33:44

Andrew Neil can be nasty.

Calendargirl Thu 31-Oct-19 10:29:01

Andrew Neil made mincemeat of Jo Swinson last night, then went on to do the same with James Claverley.

Perhaps he should be PM?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:11:57

Typo 280

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:11:27

Davida1969 17.4 million voted to leave the EU, not leave Europe, unless you know how the Island of U.K. can be repositioned globally. We have not declared war on the European mainland.

There will still be co-operation between the nations, just not paying 289million (nett) per week to be part of their club.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:06:38

Yes Jabberwok I agree totally, we were told that the Referendum was advisory, but that the government would honour and act on the results.

Since parliament voted for Article 50, the majority of clowns (sorry MPs) have thwarted all and everything to enable a smooth exit from the EU. Jeremy Corbyn is on record (video) the morning after the referendum to enact Article 50 immediately.

In the last GE all Labour & Conservative parties campaigned on a "get Brexit done message".

The Conservatives have tried and tried to sort out this mess, admittedly of their own making and no thanks at all to David Cameron.

Jeremy Corbyn has been an Eurosceptic all his political life, now changing to "Oh I am not sure" because he can sniff power. The worrying thing is that along with his current front bench Labour have been unable to organise a credible opposition so how on earth can the electorate think they could manage the Country?

Davida1968 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:58:52

I've been watching "World on Fire" and thinking how lucky the UK was not to be invaded, how hard many other European countries had it at that time, and how important it is for us all to be united now. Feels like we are "on the brink" of something here at the moment, just like it was back then. (Except that then there wasn't a "loose cannon" at the helm of the USA - and additionally Boris is no Churchill.) Heaven only knows how things will go from here.

Jabberwok Thu 31-Oct-19 09:54:12

went, not west!!

Jabberwok Thu 31-Oct-19 09:51:45

If the referendum was advisory, then surely the fact that 80% of politicians signed up for article 50 would indicate that they had agreed that advice and were prepared to act upon it?! Even more so, bearing in mind that the two main parties west to a GE on the back of delivering Brexit! Why would you sign up for something, pass it into law, if you didn't agree with it?!

Daisymae Thu 31-Oct-19 09:36:30

I think it's time for a more grown up form of government. A parliament that is run on collaboration. Not likely though as no one with power ever gives it away. Which leaves millions with little voice.

Daisymae Thu 31-Oct-19 09:33:16

I am thinking a hung parliament too. Lots of traditional voters pulling away from normal voting stance because of the current leadership. Brexit supporters disappointed with Johnson too. I am voting green, I think.

Fiachna50 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:17:34

It will be a hung parliament and we are going to be stuck in this nightmare for years. I also think if the weather turns out to be dreadful, we will get many skewed results. Folk will look out of the window and if the weather is hellish they won't go out in it to vote. Our MP has been publicising the postal vote on their Facebook page. Im seriously considering it incase the weather is rubbish.

petra Thu 31-Oct-19 09:14:32

I have to say that as much as I dislike Jo Swinson she does have the skin of a Rhino.
Earlier yesterday she was accused of having delusions of grandeur by Martha Karney on radio4 and then we have Andrew Neill almost laughing at her campaign leaflet stating that she's going to be the next PM.

Dinahmo Thu 31-Oct-19 08:55:12

I watched Jo Swinson with Andrew Neil last night and wasn't impressed. I agree with Oopsminty that she is more Tory than some Tories so she may go down well in some of the Tory constituencies.

To those people who are deciding not to vote Labour because of Corbyn - please, please think again. I'm someone who joined the LP after Corbyn was selected as leader because I was impressed by him but I would now prefer a different leader. The LP has a good range of policies which would benefit the majority of the population and, on the whole their front bench are, IMHO, a lot better than those on the Tory front bench.

Apparently when the LP policies were put to various focus groups, with out the originators being identified, the groups were all in favour. However, when the groups were told that they were Labour policies, many of the groups members rejected them.

Yesterday Johnson was still talking about 20,000 extra police when we know that these are replacing the ones that were cut, and 40 new hospitals which is also untrue.

Last night Andrew Neill also interviewed James Cleverly and discussed those 2 topics. Cleverly insisted that the Tories were going to put the largest sum ever (I forget how much) into the NHS. AN responded that the increase in NHS funding had only increased by 1% each year over the past 10 years when it should have been 3 -4% per annum and that the amount the Tories were planning to input was less than the accumulated reduction over their period in office. Cleverly's response was that the cuts were necessary. It's funny how they're managing to find the money now.

Yehbutnobut Thu 31-Oct-19 08:31:15

SirChenjin I wish more people understood that.

As I see it Parliament has done a good job protecting the country from the disaster of a no deal. Certain well respected politicians from all parties (eg Ken Clark) have worked together to stop that disasterous scenario.

What is harder is to get a good deal. One that might, for example, contain a customs union.

Listening to ‘the public’ being interviewed on TV I only hope that ‘Whitehaven Man’ (and his wife) see through this People v Parliament shit that the likes of Boris and Rees-Mogg are trying to sell them.

Oopsminty Thu 31-Oct-19 07:42:51

Not keen on Jo Swinson. Isn't she more Tory than some Tories? Her voting record is interesting. Loads of articles about her. This is from 2017 but it's worth a read

www.independent.co.uk/voices/tim-farron-resigns-jo-swinson-new-leader-liberal-democrats-voting-record-wrong-choice-a7793056.html